Sponsored by:

Tremblant NER/NNJR

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:11 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Would have been great to see you and sorry I didn't.
Between driving, instructing, and bouncing around seeing friends, I miss a lot of opportunities to finally meet people I only 'know' on RennList!

On a separate note, I thought the white and black run groups were driving well. That was gratifying.
No doubt. You were a busy man for sure,

White was a hoot to drive in. I was able to keep an instructor with me throughout the 3 track days, and it was incredibly helpful.
To bad the instruction goes away after you reach a certain run group. There's no better teaching method than having the same guy (or gal) in the right seat the whole way through an event, all 3 days in this case. They can work with you through multiple sessions on things you need to work on. The instruction (even though I ran in White now with NNJR and advanced run groups (Black) with a couple other PCA regions besides my home NNJR region), is priceless. There is no substitute for that right seat track time,
Just got back from a Chin event, where I was running in advanced (or solo), or whatever Chin calls it, and I asked for an instructor and ended up having multiple sessions on track with him. I may sound like a *****, but I flat out love the instruction, regardless of what run group I am in. I always learn something new, if not multiple new things, with someone in my right seat.
Maybe even you will someday be in my right seat Rick.
Tremblant was just awesome. Sorry we couldn't connect, even just to say hello. I'll be at The Glen with NNJR/NER in August. I'll try to find you then.
Heading to bed now because my brain and body are fried after all that track time this weekend with Chin.
Good night moon.....
Old 07-16-2018, 08:45 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
No doubt. You were a busy man for sure,

White was a hoot to drive in. I was able to keep an instructor with me throughout the 3 track days, and it was incredibly helpful.
To bad the instruction goes away after you reach a certain run group. There's no better teaching method than having the same guy (or gal) in the right seat the whole way through an event, all 3 days in this case. They can work with you through multiple sessions on things you need to work on. The instruction (even though I ran in White now with NNJR and advanced run groups (Black) with a couple other PCA regions besides my home NNJR region), is priceless. There is no substitute for that right seat track time,
Just got back from a Chin event, where I was running in advanced (or solo), or whatever Chin calls it, and I asked for an instructor and ended up having multiple sessions on track with him. I may sound like a *****, but I flat out love the instruction, regardless of what run group I am in. I always learn something new, if not multiple new things, with someone in my right seat.
Maybe even you will someday be in my right seat Rick.
Tremblant was just awesome. Sorry we couldn't connect, even just to say hello. I'll be at The Glen with NNJR/NER in August. I'll try to find you then.
Heading to bed now because my brain and body are fried after all that track time this weekend with Chin.
Good night moon.....
that’s a perfect testimonial for NER’s instructor at large program . Everyone in all the advanced groups, including instructors, should always be asking for continued instruction and coaching, and a few organizations are bending over backwards to make the resources available and encourage exactly that. There is SO much more to learn beyond what can be taught through the Yellow run group!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:34 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't get to Watkins Glen until maybe early October. This move to Maine really short-circuited my normal 20+ track days/year.
Next event for me isn't until Tremblant w/RSR in September (foliage season!), and a season ended at VIR, probably 1st Settlers and Chin.
Hopefully back on schedule next year. My Cayman deserves more exercise.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:38 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Speaking of the advanced instructor program - I loved it. Have been saying for years that's solo drivers shouldn't stop getting some formal coaching (ask me how I know - I would have benefited from it).
Biggest drawback for me was that I wanted more opportunity to ride with my blue and white (aww heck, even black) 'students' than was possible.
I guess I just really like instructing.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:22 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

I can't get to Watkins Glen until maybe early October. This move to Maine really short-circuited my normal 20+ track days/year.
Next event for me isn't until Tremblant w/RSR in September (foliage season!), and a season ended at VIR, probably 1st Settlers and Chin.
Hopefully back on schedule next year. My Cayman deserves more exercise.
NNJR also ends their season with a 3 day DE at VIR (hint hint)......
Old 07-17-2018, 11:13 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sally and I both appreciate all the work John, Stan and the rest of the crew put in to running such a great event. How they managed to get the temperature to drop from 98 the day before is one of life's mysteries, but that's what happens sometimes. A few thoughts offered in the way of improving things for next year:

1) On the first day all groups give up one or two minutes to allow Green to have a session all by themselves. I know they limit it to 30 cars per group, and you don't want to turn anyone away, but it was painful to watch the first timers driving by so slowly, as they should be, while more experienced drivers were held up. Ideally Green should have its own group: we all were trying to drink from the firehose our first time out, but it's not possible to do that at LCMT for the entire event. Give them their own (shortened if necessary) first session to see the track, find the flaggers, and settle in a bit before joining the other two groups for the rest of the event. I know at least one driver (whose name better remain a secret!) who probably would not have continued in the sport if faced with that. Nobody wants to give up any time, but we all need to realize we need new people coming in to feel comfortable if they are going to continue. It would also let the Y/B drivers sort out the track and feel comfortable with both it and the other drivers. Part of the challenge of this event for all groups is having almost half of the drivers never having been on this track, or having run together. This would help them sort things out.
2) Please continue the instructor at large program for all drivers! I run White (still amazed at that!) but always feel like I have to beg the same instructors I already know to go out with me. Having a preset instructor assigned opened me up to other instructors and made it possible to get help. I still asked a few I already knew, as I know how good they are, but getting to have my instructor, who races the same type car as I do, go out in my car, was awesome. I know I'm not going to get better by trying to figure things out and we can all use the education piece our event is called.
3) Maybe I missed it, but a track walk with Matt or someone who really knows the track is great. Seeing the nuances in the track at ground level makes me understand why the car responds the way it does in some places, and makes me look for the ideal spot to place the car.
4) Please continue having both regions participate. It takes a few sessions to get to know each other, but it really makes for a great event. Maybe we could figure out a way to set up each group with an experienced driver at the track going out in front of a first time driver. I was pleasantly surprised when I went up to another driver from NNJR to let him know he wasn't close enough behind me to let me know he wanted to go by. He kept following me a little too far behind and I didn't want to " be that guy" who doesn't give passes freely, but he was too far back to be sure. He said he wanted to follow my line as it looked like I knew the track a little bit more than he did. This was a nice surprise to me, but of course the next day he was much faster and I let him by when he got closer.
5) As always, folks who run a low HP car appreciate it when you give us a pass and breath enough for us to get by. We're pedaling as fast as we can!
6) I felt the flaggers did a great job of making things safe. I barely got half of my tires off the track in the last turn before the bridge. I was kind of hoping they might not notice but I was actually glad the gave me the black flag. It shows they were paying attention and keeping us safe.

Again, many thanks to everyone who was there and helped out. People don't always take the time to offer their thanks but we all appreciate the time and effort involved in running such a great event.

Thanks,
Buzz and Sally

PS: Rick, welcome to Maine! Hope to see you at Porsche's in the Park Saturday in Portland. I hear Patrick Dempsey will be there again. Maybe he can sign the hood on Sal's car. They are shooting for 150 cars to be there, and it's a fundraiser for the Dempsey Cancer Foundation.Track cars are welcome!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:20 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dgrobs
NNJR also ends their season with a 3 day DE at VIR (hint hint)......
Been to that a few times - it's great fun and an excellent end of the season.
Going a bit earlier to try out 1st Settlers/Chin.
But thank you!
Old 07-18-2018, 01:14 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Been to that a few times - it's great fun and an excellent end of the season.
Going a bit earlier to try out 1st Settlers/Chin.
But thank you!
Missing you at the Glen today, Rick--perfect weather for once (75/sunny) and lots of cars (and race teams) airing it out in Open Track

Even the Mini has some speed going up the back straight--but not much

Gary
Old 07-19-2018, 10:02 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gbuff
Missing you at the Glen today, Rick--perfect weather for once (75/sunny) and lots of cars (and race teams) airing it out in Open Track

Even the Mini has some speed going up the back straight--but not much

Gary
Thanks Gary. I miss it too.
Been spending summers at our house on the coast, and have now moved there. Very tough to leave here plus the tracks are now even farther away.
Going to try to get to the Glen once this year, though.
Glad you are having a great day!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:44 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Been spending summers at our house on the coast, and have now moved there. Very tough to leave here plus the tracks are now even farther away.
Not a bad gig, Rick, track or no track--very happy for you and yours.

Gary

Old 07-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Sionnach
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, Look forward to seeing you at LCMT with Rennsport in September and with First Settlers at VIR in October.
Particularly enjoyed the Vintage DE at Thompson in May.

Quick Reply: Tremblant NER/NNJR