Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tremblant NER/NNJR

Old 07-12-2018, 12:31 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts
Default Tremblant NER/NNJR

Just wanted to thank the folks at NER and NNJR for putting together another spectacular event at LCMT last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

What a great track and what a great bunch of people to hang and run with. Great social Friday night as well. Thanks.

Already looking forward to next years event, and yes, WAZE is def your friend in the Montreal area. Very little traffic to speak of on the way up and the way home. WAZE got us around almost all of it.

To the folks I ran with in White, thanks for the quick point by's and the great track etiquette. Perfect weather as well, and a Blues Festival to boot.

Oh, and a few wonderful dinners, both in St Jovite and Tremblant proper. My 15 y/o son is now totally addicted to Poutine.

Thanks to all involved with putting this together. Great event....
Old 07-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

It was a great event with the best weather I've ever had at Tremblant. Great job by everyone organizing, volunteering, and hosting.

I had a great time driving and working with some really fast drivers. Some guys had over a 2 second improvement! One person had a goal of running a 1:49.999 was stuck at a 1:50.45. With a couple things, got them to a 1:49.6 in a street car! Tons of fund!

Now we need to get Bruce into his data and video!
Old 07-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Stephen Ayers
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt— Thanks for your help! It was a wonderful experience to visit from Northern California and meet by lap time target! Big thanks for the local guys who fixed my RS to pass sound!

Old 07-12-2018, 03:18 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Ayers
Matt— Thanks for your help! It was a wonderful experience to visit from Northern California and meet by lap time target! Big thanks for the local guys who fixed my RS to pass sound!

A few laps in Black group

Holy Crap that's some fast lap times. Great driving. Wow.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:44 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Great event! Massive fun. Thanks to everyone who made it possible. (I still miss the frost heave, sigh.)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I thought the green/yellow/blue combined run group was a bit problematic.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:15 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
I thought the green/yellow/blue combined run group was a bit problematic.
Specifics? When is it not problematic? After all, it's generally less experienced drivers in green/yellow.
I didn't see it as worse than usual, though I didn't ride in each run.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:59 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Specifics? When is it not problematic? After all, it's generally less experienced drivers in green/yellow.
I didn't see it as worse than usual, though I didn't ride in each run.
Hey Rick,

I stopped by to say hello to you Friday and introduce myself, but missed you at your car. Also tried on Saturday but you were out on track I believe. Next time.

I ran in the Blue/Yellow/Green run group on Friday morning and quickly moved into White (where I belonged) for the rest of the event. The problems I saw in that G/Y/B run group were trains due to the difference in driver abilities. There were some first timers out there along with Blue drivers who were ready to move into White. The difference in SA and driver ability did indeed cause some pretty bad trains. Very hard to get a clean lap when I ran in that group. As soon as I moved into White for the remainder of the event, I was able to get "some" clean laps and ran into only 1 train in the 10 sessions I did in White. I believe that is what Erko is referring to.

Erko runs in Yellow I believe, and he is a better driver than yellow. He needs to move up. I have been on the track with him many times, and his abilities are not Green or Yellow. Maybe Blue. Maybe White.

I was frustrated in that run group as well Friday morning, but with LCMT only allowing 30 cars on the track at any one time, I moved into White when one of the White drivers moved into Black, hence opening up a spot for me in White. It was MUCH more enjoyable in White, for me anyway.

There were indeed some brutal trains and lack of point by's in that G/Y/B run group. The situational awareness just wasn't there and there was too large a mix of driver abilities in that run group.

I know of some PCA regions that won't combine Green with ANY OTHER run groups in a track session, but with the 30 car rule at LCMT, it was what it was.

Hope to introduce myself next time we're at an event together. JD sent out an email after the event giving you the "most abused instructor" award. I chuckled.

All in all, I had a wonderful 5 days in Canada.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:54 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A great event, and a great time, thanks to all. The lowest run group was problematic for my student, who was much quicker than most, and had difficulty getting any clear track, which would have been helpful to him, as he was working on smoothness. Thanks to the organizers, we moved to white later in the weekend, with the understanding that I would continue to ride with him, and which proved to be very helpful.

See you at Tremblant next year!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:07 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a great time on track at Tremblant. The ride up wasn't so much fun however.

Great track, great setting and lots of fast cars with perfect weather. What else can you ask for!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:31 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

You folks are terrific - and thanks for attending! I have your comments about the Green/Yellow/Blue combined sessions - so, let me think about it for next year as well, OK?

Too - Matt rocked the Data classes and his students - thank you!

And @dgrobs - thanks for posting this thread up! @RickBetterley - you only have one shot at being the "Most Abused Instructor" - enjoy the limelight But more seriously - my thanks for all you did... (IN PRIVATE! When my car threw a belt - Rick told me I could drive his car??!! )

Anyway - you folks are what this event is all about.. My sincerest thanks, and the thanks of BOTH the NER/NNJR Track Committees to making it incredibly fun, safe and one of the highlights of any PCA DE Program...

In short? You folks rocked this event. My thanks for that,

John D.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:58 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John D.
You folks are terrific - and thanks for attending! I have your comments about the Green/Yellow/Blue combined sessions - so, let me think about it for next year as well, OK?
Thanks for taking those comments into consideration John - I submitted my thoughts in the event evaluation online, no point going on a rant here. Great job to you and the rest of the organizers.

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Erko runs in Yellow I believe, and he is a better driver than yellow. He needs to move up. I have been on the track with him many times, and his abilities are not Green or Yellow. Maybe Blue. Maybe White.
Thanks Bruce, I'm humbled by your compliments, hope to you see you at another event soon.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:14 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Thanks for taking those comments into consideration John - I submitted my thoughts in the event evaluation online, no point going on a rant here. Great job to you and the rest of the organizers.....Thanks Bruce, I'm humbled by your compliments, hope to you see you at another event soon.
Somewhere, in this mess of a forum, I posted about our Calabogie event coming up - which, may be right up your ally. Here's what I'll do - if you can come, I'll extend the Solo price to you ($550 for three days) - and work with you along with the Pro Coaches. dgrobs has never called a "wrong shot" that I'm aware of, so - I'll take his lead at that event for you...

So - find that thread - and post into it if you can attend or not? If you are going to WGI the days before - a bunch of us are caravaning up, and you'd be more than welcome to be a part of that as well...

Let me know, OK?

John D.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:33 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John D.
Somewhere, in this mess of a forum, I posted about our Calabogie event coming up - which, may be right up your ally. Here's what I'll do - if you can come, I'll extend the Solo price to you ($550 for three days) - and work with you along with the Pro Coaches. dgrobs has never called a "wrong shot" that I' aware of, so - I'll take his lead at that event for you...

So - find that thread - and post into it if you can attend or not? If you are going to WGI the days before - a bunch of us are caravaning up, and you'd be more than welcome to be a part of that as well...

Let me know, OK?

John D.
Hi John - much appreciated, that is indeed a fantastic offer. I'd love to attend the Calabogie event and work with you and the pro coaches, I bet that'd be a great accelerated learning opportunity but work's been extremely busy this year and I'm travelling starting that Thursday - I actually had to cancel my WGI registration recently due to this as well which I'm fairly upset about - so unfortunately I'm going in the wrong direction this year as in less instead of more track time but hopefully another season I'll try to make it up there.

What I really need is a six month sabbatical (a paid one somehow ) that'll allow me to attend like 80-100 track days in one season - I'll continue to look for sponsorship deals and keep buying my powerball tickets meanwhile.

I think you're better off anyways, dgrobs was not that accurate in his assessment as my passengers usually don't like my driving - hence me still being in yellow "You are a danger to yourself" was a quote from a past instructor I still remember
Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Hey Rick,

I stopped by to say hello to you Friday and introduce myself, but missed you at your car. Also tried on Saturday but you were out on track I believe. Next time.

I ran in the Blue/Yellow/Green run group on Friday morning and quickly moved into White (where I belonged) for the rest of the event. The problems I saw in that G/Y/B run group were trains due to the difference in driver abilities. There were some first timers out there along with Blue drivers who were ready to move into White. The difference in SA and driver ability did indeed cause some pretty bad trains. Very hard to get a clean lap when I ran in that group. As soon as I moved into White for the remainder of the event, I was able to get "some" clean laps and ran into only 1 train in the 10 sessions I did in White. I believe that is what Erko is referring to.

I was frustrated in that run group as well Friday morning, but with LCMT only allowing 30 cars on the track at any one time, I moved into White when one of the White drivers moved into Black, hence opening up a spot for me in White. It was MUCH more enjoyable in White, for me anyway.

There were indeed some brutal trains and lack of point by's in that G/Y/B run group. The situational awareness just wasn't there and there was too large a mix of driver abilities in that run group.

I know of some PCA regions that won't combine Green with ANY OTHER run groups in a track session, but with the 30 car rule at LCMT, it was what it was.

Hope to introduce myself next time we're at an event together. JD sent out an email after the event giving you the "most abused instructor" award. I chuckled.

All in all, I had a wonderful 5 days in Canada.

Would have been great to see you and sorry I didn't.
Between driving, instructing, and bouncing around seeing friends, I miss a lot of opportunities to finally meet people I only 'know' on RennList!
The Novice Group was tough but unfortunately that is often the case when we have to jam solo and instructed drivers together. With 90 black/orang/red drivers there was not as much room to separate the widely-different drivers. Couple that with solo drivers new to Tremblant and it can be frustrating.
Separately I see that John is thinking about how to do that. One idea would be to stage the solo members of the group first, and the instructed 2nd, but that is only a partial solution.
I know as an instructor that preventing (or at least clearing) trains is a lot harder than it looks. Sometimes the student just isn't ready to give that point-by, or isn't real efficient at.
I guess this means there will always be full employment for the instructors😉
On a separate note, I thought the white and black run groups were driving well. That was gratifying.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tremblant NER/NNJR