Sponsored by:

Chin @ The Glen

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 02:35 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Fantastic events! Great team. They’re back at the Glen around Labor Day!

Great report, Gary. Thanks for posting!
My pleasure, Peter, hope this case of track rapture carries me right through to Wednesday @ Mosport.....if I can make it happen I WILL be back @ WGI w/ Chin Labor Day

Gary
Old 07-08-2018, 10:03 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Saw your car there. What a great time. I was running in blue both days. I’ve only run with Chin once before a couple of years ago, so I wasn’t sure if I should be in blue or red. I’m glad I was conservative and chose blue. Felt like the right spot as I was getting point-bys from a lot of cars and then giving point-bys to the GT3s, Cup cars, faster GT4s, ZO6s, and Radicals. Such a tremendous variety of cars, with a huge amount of serious race-prepped stuff. It’s interesting how the advanced group with one trackday/DE organizer doesn’t necessarily correspond to the advanced group of other organizations. I would say that Chin’s advanced group is likely on a higher/more accomplished level than that of many other organizations, especially given that many cars/drivers were using the WGI event for pre-race practice laps.
I’ll echo what was said about traffic management and point-bys. I’ve run with multiple PCA chapters, BMW CCA chapters, FCA, NASA, and others, and have never witnessed the kind of heads-up, courteous but fast and effective driving that I saw with Chin this week. Too often over the years I’ve seen clueless/obstructionist driving or overly aggressive, antisocial behavior on track. But not this time. I’m not sure if it was the right combination of people at this particular event, or if it’s a Chin thing, or both, but it was nearly textbook for how a fast, fun, well-behaved track event should be. Typically seamless passing, on the straights and in the corners, with little disruption to either car. Fantastic.
And the start-of-the-day warm-up session for everyone under yellow is a great idea. Gives a chance to shake out the cobwebs from the car and you prior to letting her rip.
Looking forward to more Chin events!
Agreed. I was there as well instructing & running advanced in my Camaro SS 1LE. Fantastic event as always with Chin. This was my student’s 3rd event at WGI, first with Chin. He said he’s prioritizing Chin events moving forward... can’t blame him. Top notch organization, friendly/engaged organizers, no BS beuacracy.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:26 PM
HPDE Guru
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the great group of courteous and capable drivers that participated with us at The Glen last week. The Chin team works hard to provide a reliable platform for great track events. But: ultimately, it's drivers like you that make our track events great! Upcoming: NJMP, Summit Point, Road Atlanta, Sebring, COTA!. Return to Watkins Glen on Labor Day, Sept 3-4. Click to go faster
Old 07-09-2018, 11:50 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ditto
Here too..(with runner up props to VIR...)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:39 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Ran the JustaCooper in the second day of the two-day event y-day in Red group;
Gary
It was my pleasure seeing you again, Gary. As Anthony (we haven't met) said, Gary is a great and super-aware driver.

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I’ve run with multiple PCA chapters, BMW CCA chapters, FCA, NASA, and others, and have never witnessed the kind of heads-up, courteous but fast and effective driving that I saw with Chin this week. Too often over the years I’ve seen clueless/obstructionist driving or overly aggressive, antisocial behavior on track. But not this time.
Except for maybe open track days with open passing, Chin is the best. I've run with many different groups.

Originally Posted by provoste
Agreed. I was there as well instructing & running advanced in my Camaro SS 1LE. Fantastic event as always with Chin. This was my student’s 3rd event at WGI, first with Chin. He said he’s prioritizing Chin events moving forward... can’t blame him. Top notch organization, friendly/engaged organizers, no BS beuacracy.
Oh.... I believe I was paddocked next to you. Great to put a face with the name! Wish we had more time to chat and hang out. What you said turned me onto the Alpha chassis even more. Tempting!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:13 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
It was my pleasure seeing you again, Gary. As Anthony (we haven't met) said, Gary is a great and super-aware driver.
Many thanks, Chung--always fun chatting and sharing the track with you so I can see "how it's done"

Off to Mosport, another "bucket list" track......on the IMSA race telecast this past weekend I thought I heard an announcer say the Prototypes were taking Turn 2 at 150mph!

Gary
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman

Except for maybe open track days with open passing, Chin is the best. I've run with many different groups.

Oh.... I believe I was paddocked next to you. Great to put a face with the name! Wish we had more time to chat and hang out. What you said turned me onto the Alpha chassis even more. Tempting!
Yep, that was me! It was fun talking to you and admiring that stunning Boxster Spyder! Yeah, I couldn’t be happier with the Camaro. Cheers!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HPDE Guru
Thanks to the great group of courteous and capable drivers that participated with us at The Glen last week. The Chin team works hard to provide a reliable platform for great track events. But: ultimately, it's drivers like you that make our track events great! Upcoming: NJMP, Summit Point, Road Atlanta, Sebring, COTA!. Return to Watkins Glen on Labor Day, Sept 3-4. Click to go faster
Doing my first Chin event this weekend at Lightning. Joined Chin last season and finally got around to signing up for one of their events. (This weekend at NJMP).
I hear nothing but great things about them. Now I will find out first hand. Can't wait...
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

The extent to which you find Chin a revelation will be a function of who you have run with before. If you've only ever run at one of the more crowded PCA events with lots of cars in every run group, you'll be amazed at the open track. If you are a DMTD or Group 52 regular or do private track days/club member days, you'll be less impressed.

As someone who has moved over to the instructor ranks, I really like them because of the 1 student/instructor set up and the 30 minute standing yellow warm up session in the morning. Taking a 0 days student and having 30 minutes to explore the track with no regard for traffic management is, in my opinion, the best innovation they have brought to the market.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:09 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
The extent to which you find Chin a revelation will be a function of who you have run with before. If you've only ever run at one of the more crowded PCA events with lots of cars in every run group, you'll be amazed at the open track. If you are a DMTD or Group 52 regular or do private track days/club member days, you'll be less impressed.
I do run mostly private days now (just returned from one with 6thGear @ Mosport today) and this particular Chin day was IMO an extraordinarily good one. Not to go all 1960s on y'all but along with everything else it just had a nice vibe.......

Hell, today was awesome too--perfect weather, 2 tanks of gas and four nearly shot tires in almost 4 hours of track time. Can't kick....I think at day's end a track day is what you make of it--if life lets you go in with a positive attitude chances are it'll be a "good" day, regardless of the host.

Trackmasters @ WGI next--always a great group.

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 07-11-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 PM
Max1865
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chin is fantastic, not only that they are really organized and adhere to schedule but tend to attract drivers that adhere to the same philosophy. Have run many events with them on many different tracks and you get the same thing everywhere you go. For DE Chin is the number one provider and no im not affiliated, just spend money!
Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Max1865
Chin is fantastic, not only that they are really organized and adhere to schedule but tend to attract drivers that adhere to the same philosophy. Have run many events with them on many different tracks and you get the same thing everywhere you go. For DE Chin is the number one provider and no im not affiliated, just spend money!
Great to hear. So psyched for this weekend and my first Chin event. Have a feeling it won't be my last. Will report back Sunday evening.

Quick Reply: Chin @ The Glen