Sponsored by:

Chin @ The Glen

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Chin @ The Glen

Ran the JustaCooper in the second day of the two-day event y-day in Red group; spent time managing traffic and then enjoyed some really good, mostly free lapping. Tires were right at the "sweet spot" (helped along by the heat) to get some serious and really fun slip angle going all over the track, but especially through the Bus Stop and Outer Loop. Some R'Listers present; Anthony looked just stupid fast again after replacing his shredded serpentine belt, and Chung looked great in the Boxster Spyder as always. Late in the day the skies opened, then closed--had the track to myself along with one other car that I saw for some nice wet work.....all in all a great, clean day.

Kudos to Jack, Jim and everybody else involved, and a real treat to see Gary at pit-out; 84 years young!

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 07-06-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:33 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Come play with us at Summit Gary, if you've never been you'll love it there.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:50 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Come play with us at Summit Gary, if you've never been you'll love it there.
OMG, I haven't been there in years--would love to come but now too lazy to drive 8 hrs I really did enjoy the track when I did go, even though on one trip they had 4 orange cones surrounding a pothole at the entry of the left-hander following the sweeper after the front straight (T3?) I'm sure it's MUCH better now!
Old 07-06-2018, 12:59 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
OMG, I haven't been there in years--would love to come but now too lazy to drive 8 hrs I really did enjoy the track when I did go, even though on one trip they had 4 orange cones surrounding a pothole at the entry of the left-hander following the sweeper after the front straight (T3?) I'm sure it's MUCH better now!
LOL, yeah, things are MUCH better now.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:53 AM
Mordeth
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to see you again Gary!! Always an honor to share the track with you. Driving the tires confidently right off that Mini as usual and one of the safest, most aware drivers I know. There were some really fast cars/drivers there and they had me hard pressed. You are one of the few guys I trust to take the Esses 2-3 wide at race speed during a DE, or go as many wide as desired literally anywhere on the track. I had one of those ACR-Es right on my tail, both of us WOT screaming bloody murder when you cleanly and well in advance pointed us by in the Esses, with you perfectly predictable and aware as you always are and not slowing anyone down at all. You are a superb, aware driver and I really need to chat with you more. I was hoping to have you talk to one of my students but then the skies opened up, dumped on us and everyone ran off (except you of course!).

Hope to see you at the Trackmasters WGI event later this month, and/or Riesentoter right after. I'm not instructing at Trackmasters so I should have more time to be out there having fun. I'm bringing 5 spare serpentine belts this time!!

Anthony
#50 C6Z
Old 07-07-2018, 08:44 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Sounds like you had a terrible time Gary. The Glen is without doubt my favorite.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Sounds like you had a terrible time Gary. The Glen is without doubt my favorite.
Ditto
Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Good to see you again Gary!! Always an honor to share the track with you. Driving the tires confidently right off that Mini as usual and one of the safest, most aware drivers I know. There were some really fast cars/drivers there and they had me hard pressed. You are one of the few guys I trust to take the Esses 2-3 wide at race speed during a DE, or go as many wide as desired literally anywhere on the track. I had one of those ACR-Es right on my tail, both of us WOT screaming bloody murder when you cleanly and well in advance pointed us by in the Esses, with you perfectly predictable and aware as you always are and not slowing anyone down at all. You are a superb, aware driver and I really need to chat with you more. I was hoping to have you talk to one of my students but then the skies opened up, dumped on us and everyone ran off (except you of course!).

Hope to see you at the Trackmasters WGI event later this month, and/or Riesentoter right after. I'm not instructing at Trackmasters so I should have more time to be out there having fun. I'm bringing 5 spare serpentine belts this time!!

Anthony
#50 C6Z
Anthony, as always, very much appreciated.....it's a real privilege to be able to witness the quality of driving at the pace that you and the others were maintaining around that track--really remarkable. Simply on a higher level, and I had the best seat in the house! Throw in Ferrari of Atlanta's Challenge team tuning for their upcoming race......when you guys went by on the back straight I picked up about 5mph from the draft

I did speak with a first-timer in another Mini (Alan, I believe) and he was loving the event as well; I told him as a newb to listen to your instructor first and foremost. Don't know if he was your student, but if so you made him a happy guy!

Great to see you again and hope to see you at Trackmasters.

Gary
Old 07-07-2018, 10:15 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Yeah, Dave, it was horrible, sheer torture

And this from someone who's been driving there for over 20 years......the stars really aligned for this one.

Gary
Old 07-07-2018, 11:55 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

I wish I had never gone.....now it's all I can think about!

What a track.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:03 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Saw your car there. What a great time. I was running in blue both days. I’ve only run with Chin once before a couple of years ago, so I wasn’t sure if I should be in blue or red. I’m glad I was conservative and chose blue. Felt like the right spot as I was getting point-bys from a lot of cars and then giving point-bys to the GT3s, Cup cars, faster GT4s, ZO6s, and Radicals. Such a tremendous variety of cars, with a huge amount of serious race-prepped stuff. It’s interesting how the advanced group with one trackday/DE organizer doesn’t necessarily correspond to the advanced group of other organizations. I would say that Chin’s advanced group is likely on a higher/more accomplished level than that of many other organizations, especially given that many cars/drivers were using the WGI event for pre-race practice laps.
I’ll echo what was said about traffic management and point-bys. I’ve run with multiple PCA chapters, BMW CCA chapters, FCA, NASA, and others, and have never witnessed the kind of heads-up, courteous but fast and effective driving that I saw with Chin this week. Too often over the years I’ve seen clueless/obstructionist driving or overly aggressive, antisocial behavior on track. But not this time. I’m not sure if it was the right combination of people at this particular event, or if it’s a Chin thing, or both, but it was nearly textbook for how a fast, fun, well-behaved track event should be. Typically seamless passing, on the straights and in the corners, with little disruption to either car. Fantastic.
And the start-of-the-day warm-up session for everyone under yellow is a great idea. Gives a chance to shake out the cobwebs from the car and you prior to letting her rip.
Looking forward to more Chin events!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:25 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

As I understand it, in both Red and Blue with Chin it's passing anywhere on the track, the main difference being in Blue you can wait until you're comfortable in giving the point but in Red you must give the point if the faster car is approaching you. As I was once told by one of the event organizers, in Red "if they're on your bumper, you've <messed> up"

Which is fine with me--when cars like Anthony's jet-propelled C6Z and the like appear in your mirror you get your arm out, they go by, and you both can get on with it. Until they come around again It really works out well, and with me being in a low-hp car it really keeps me on my toes and I end up driving better.

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 07-07-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I wish I had never gone.....now it's all I can think about!

What a track.
I hear you. I have made the 1600 mile trip twice from Houston. I ended up moving car to VIR so that I could drive the great east coast tracks more often. I'll be doing LRP for the first time next week and then hitting WGI for my fix. Hopefully will see you and Tim at VIR in October. Will be trying to hit Road Atlanta two more times this year as well. The more I drive these iconic tracks though the more I appreciate what we had with TWS - that track with a repave and some facilities would have stood toe to toe with the best of either coast.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Saw your car there. What a great time. I was running in blue both days. I’ve only run with Chin once before a couple of years ago, so I wasn’t sure if I should be in blue or red. I’m glad I was conservative and chose blue. Felt like the right spot as I was getting point-bys from a lot of cars and then giving point-bys to the GT3s, Cup cars, faster GT4s, ZO6s, and Radicals. Such a tremendous variety of cars, with a huge amount of serious race-prepped stuff. It’s interesting how the advanced group with one trackday/DE organizer doesn’t necessarily correspond to the advanced group of other organizations. I would say that Chin’s advanced group is likely on a higher/more accomplished level than that of many other organizations, especially given that many cars/drivers were using the WGI event for pre-race practice laps.
I’ll echo what was said about traffic management and point-bys. I’ve run with multiple PCA chapters, BMW CCA chapters, FCA, NASA, and others, and have never witnessed the kind of heads-up, courteous but fast and effective driving that I saw with Chin this week. Too often over the years I’ve seen clueless/obstructionist driving or overly aggressive, antisocial behavior on track. But not this time. I’m not sure if it was the right combination of people at this particular event, or if it’s a Chin thing, or both, but it was nearly textbook for how a fast, fun, well-behaved track event should be. Typically seamless passing, on the straights and in the corners, with little disruption to either car. Fantastic.
And the start-of-the-day warm-up session for everyone under yellow is a great idea. Gives a chance to shake out the cobwebs from the car and you prior to letting her rip.
Looking forward to more Chin events!
Fantastic events! Great team. They’re back at the Glen around Labor Day!

Great report, Gary. Thanks for posting!
Old 07-08-2018, 11:58 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I hear you. I have made the 1600 mile trip twice from Houston. I ended up moving car to VIR so that I could drive the great east coast tracks more often. I'll be doing LRP for the first time next week and then hitting WGI for my fix. Hopefully will see you and Tim at VIR in October. Will be trying to hit Road Atlanta two more times this year as well. The more I drive these iconic tracks though the more I appreciate what we had with TWS - that track with a repave and some facilities would have stood toe to toe with the best of either coast.
Yes! Hope to see you, I can't wait.

Quick Reply: Chin @ The Glen