Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Aim data - what do you see?

Old 06-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cre8fun

Frank - Thanks so much for your time. Here's the result and now I can see, painfully, just how much coast there is going into the corners..for turn 1 and the bus stop, there's a good 3-400 feet from Vmax to significant braking.
They look to be too fat as well. Ideally, there show be almost not time from full throttle to brakes, and then braking should be very sharp. FWIW, I am working on both of those elements.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Frank - Thanks so much for your time. Here's the result and now I can see, painfully, just how much coast there is going into the corners..for turn 1 and the bus stop, there's a good 3-400 feet from Vmax to significant braking.
You are most welcome. Couple of quick observations:
- too much time between off throttle and brake
- off throttle looks too slow and "leasurely". They should be sharp
- simulated brake trace looks to be ramping up too slowly especially in T1, Inner loop and toe of the boot and T9
- you shouldn't need to brake for T10
- etc.....
Old 07-01-2018, 06:35 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup, off throttle to brakes - lots of time there. I feel that on the track as a place for improvement.

given it's a calculated brake trace from Long G data, I get there's noise, like I'm not braking in the outer loop, that's likely feathering the throttle till the camber comes in.

But the general shape of the brake application/release, I can see what I'm doing in the entrance to the bus stop and not sure what I could change (that being the biggest speed decrease, maybe it shows the most). So there's a small initial step which is transferring weight to the front tires, then there's a high spike which is straight line braking, then there's a step down in "pressure" as I turn in and carry the braking to the curbing. and during that last phase when the brake pressure decreases, the Lat G increases so G_sum is relatively constant. So in the braking into the bus stop, aside from bringing v_max closer to brake application, not sure what I should change about the "shape" of the calculated brake trace?
Old 07-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

But the general shape of the brake application/release, I can see what I'm doing in the entrance to the bus stop and not sure what I could change (that being the biggest speed decrease, maybe it shows the most). So there's a small initial step which is transferring weight to the front tires, then there's a high spike which is straight line braking, then there's a step down in "pressure" as I turn in and carry the braking to the curbing. and during that last phase when the brake pressure decreases, the Lat G increases so G_sum is relatively constant. So in the braking into the bus stop, aside from bringing v_max closer to brake application, not sure what I should change about the "shape" of the calculated brake trace?
Michael, here are three more charts for Watkins Glen:
- Top is speed, then actual brake pressure and then Matt's calculated brake pressure formula from Long-G and then GSUM on the bottom
- You can see that the calculated brake pressure from Long-G is actually a very good approximation to actual
- The chart on the bottom shows the trace for going into the Inner Loop with a high initial application and then a bleed off as you trail the brake into the turn. I am sure a pro would do better but the general principle would apply
- The last chart is a brake trace going into the toe of the boot

Old 07-01-2018, 11:36 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

... then there's a step down in "pressure" as I turn in and carry the braking to the curbing.
You are staying on the brake too long. Should be full throttle again before first curb going into bus stop.
ProCoach and I disagreed about this a few years ago (same year I set track record in E, which has since been wiped away with the repave and Dan Martinson).
Old 07-01-2018, 12:38 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

GT3DE - thanks for input.

Frank, thanks for data. easier to understand when you know what it's supposed to look like. Plenty of data to dig through, very helpful. That application is damn near vertical. I think I'd lock my fronts if I did that. I'll play with it.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Not as quick as Frank, but here's mine.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:53 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

i guess the good news is I've got lots of room for improvement

Thanks for more data
Old 07-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3DE
You are staying on the brake too long. Should be full throttle again before first curb going into bus stop.
ProCoach and I disagreed about this a few years ago (same year I set track record in E, which has since been wiped away with the repave and Dan Martinson).
I think all cars area bit different. I need to let my car "set" after jumping over the first curb (all 4 wheels are in the air) before I give a very quick steering input to the left and then apply full throttle all the way out. The repave has lowered the curbs so you tend to take more of them. The third curb in the Inner Loop eats front left Pirelli tires.

That application is damn near vertical. I think I'd lock my fronts if I did that. I'll play with it.
The brake traces in my '69 911 and my 944 look the same. It's tough to lock up the wheels at initial application given their spinning momentum, but you need to bleed off brake pressure to prevent them from locking up, especially if you are trailing brake into the turn.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Not as quick as Frank, but here's mine.

Is this a pdk or manual? The throttle trace under braking looks very strange. Either hitting gas and brake at the same time or awkward throttle blips.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by coryf
Is this a pdk or manual? The throttle trace under braking looks very strange. Either hitting gas and brake at the same time or awkward throttle blips.
I had the same thought. It's an E46M3 with 5 speed manual. I don't usually try to heel toe 5-4 downshifts so I think I may have got my feet tangled up there. I plan to look at some other laps to see if it was indeed an anomaly.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Super slow (and LONG) throttle blips...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Super slow (and LONG) throttle blips...
I created a math channel to filter out pedal position when braking to make it easier to see blipping. I looked at a bunch of other laps at WGI and VIR and I don't think it's throttle blip per se. I have some laps that are very clean with quick blips as you would expect but I also have a number of laps where I see these fat and tallish blips even in places where I know I am not downshifting (and blipping). I think I am just sloppy with getting my foot all the way to brake. Since I have a number of laps with nice sharp blips, I am confident that I CAN do it. Yet another thing to work on.

Last edited by Thundermoose; 07-02-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Frank, Could you please post the formula for UnderandOversteer math channel. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Frank, Could you please post the formula for UnderandOversteer math channel. Thanks.
UndersteerOversteer = abs(Act_Wheel_Angle)-abs(Ackerman)

where

Act_Wheel_Angle = steering_angle/STRATIO

and

Ackerman = 7.969/ ((GPS_Speed*1.467)^2/(GPS_LatAcc*32.167))*57.2958

and

STRATIO = 22

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Watkins Aim data - what do you see?