Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK use on Track Day-auto or paddles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 03:13 AM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I've driven my 991TT quite a bit at The Ridge -- super fun track. Mostly I used the full auto mode, certainly when I first went there as a newbie just getting the school line down was enough to keep me busy so I let the car do the shifting. As I got smoother and faster there is just one place where one of the PCA instructors suggested that an override would be a good thing -- that would be right after you make the left at T13 and head down the hill...right there short shifting up a gear made the car a bit more stable and since you have the big hill drop helping for that section before the right for T14 is upon you there's not much lost by being in a higher gear than PDK thinks is good. Even then I left it in auto and just bumped the right paddle to get that override shift and then let it go back to doing the work while I got busy trying to rotate the nose around to fire out of T15 through T16 onto the front straight.

I hope to be at all the PCA PNWR track days for the rest of this season -- if you make it out to one at the Ridge and I'm there I'd be glad to show you where I'm talking about that short shift...you can see from the paddock (I'll be driving a white GT4, #486).
Old 06-06-2018, 12:03 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I run my GT4CS in automode. Sometimes i will grab a paddle for a downshift however.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Solk (07-08-2020)
Old 06-06-2018, 12:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Auto 95%
Manual 5% ... because sometimes the eye can see what the PDK-S cannot.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:37 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

auto mode all the way w sometimea a short shift when needed

one thing — when I was just getting started w 991 on track, i found normal or sport mode easier to manage than sport+ so you can really feel the weight transfer...once you move up a run group or two, then play w sport+ when you start reaching for laptime...but maybe give normal mode a try...its much easier to learn to feel the car taking a set, nose diving under braking, and squat on power...

when i was a green/blue student,I found pasm and all the active suspension stuff made learning the fundamentals more tricky - the aforementioned weight transfer and also because in sport + the throttle is so damn sensitive it takes a lot of seat time to be really smooth AND patient...in normal or sport you are forced to carry more momentum and not stomp the gas less it kickdown

just my 2 cents - enjoy your 991! amazing platform on the track!!

Old 06-06-2018, 08:13 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The PCA club that I track with sponsors having 2 Porsche Factory Pro drivers take you for rides in various cars during the HPDE events. It is an amazing learning opportunity. What I saw on a 10 turn track was 9 out of 10 turns they relied on the PDK sport plus mode. On one turn one driver down shifted every so slightly sooner than the controls. Literally something on the order of 4 feet at 60+ mph. And that's a pro. When you are learning, keep it simple. Learn the basics before making things more complex than they need to be. Definitely get to a PCA HPDE event that has instructors...you will continue to have a lot of fun.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:52 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

All so true! Auto PDK is wicked fast. Funny, but I don't think you will find one article or video test where the professional test driver allows the PDK to do the shifting. I would explain to my friends how much faster the auto PDK was versus the manual, and they see these test reports and say not so. Well, if those guys let the car do the work it is simply faster - particularly on the downshifting into the braking zone, and the ability to fire through the gears without upsetting the car in turns. One nice thing I will say about shifting manually with paddles is that you can quickly recover from an improper gear selection - so your track time does not suffer too much if you like rowing (flicking) through the gears.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:39 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

If you are using PDK the most important thing is to make sure your beauticians license is up to date when you register for your event.
patrickkirby (06-23-2020)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:49 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tinkerbill
if using the paddles would provide some useful engine braking and reduce my dependency and torture of my pccb's?
Bill
I would rather torture the PCCB's than the engine/transmission.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:30 PM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm wondering about this as well. I have lots of track time in other manual cars and just did my first event with the Cayman S PDK with Sport Chrono. I left PDK in Auto mode and had Sport Plus engaged. It did a pretty darn good job. It seems others think so as well. But for absolute fastest times, what is recommended? I'm competing in time trials fwiw. What do pro drivers/cars do? I guess they may not run stock PDK tuning? BGB, what do you guys do with the Cayman Clubsports?
Old 06-22-2020, 03:48 AM
amurph182
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 54 Posts

I run my ‘16 Cayman in auto, but I’ve found that just about every track I’ve been to has either a corner or a section that the PDK just doesn’t get right, so I’ll up or downshift once or twice a lap as needed. Usually it’s a slow-to-the-low-side-of-medium-speed corner where the car wants to stay in a higher gear. Other than that, auto works great.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:14 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
I'm wondering about this as well. I have lots of track time in other manual cars and just did my first event with the Cayman S PDK with Sport Chrono. I left PDK in Auto mode and had Sport Plus engaged. It did a pretty darn good job. It seems others think so as well. But for absolute fastest times, what is recommended? I'm competing in time trials fwiw. What do pro drivers/cars do? I guess they may not run stock PDK tuning? BGB, what do you guys do with the Cayman Clubsports?
See post 17.

Peter
Old 07-07-2020, 08:50 AM
Tim the Engineer
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

To start out, Auto mode for sure.

For my race Cayman, the DME and PDK have been tuned, and the interlock between throttle and brake has been removed To get the high RPMs, manual mode is required. Also using full manual gives you an added degree of control, avoiding unwanted downshifts and upshifts.

Overall, however, the benefit of running full manual is marginal. For driver's with less track experience, running in auto allows you to focus on other things.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:29 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Welcome to the sport...

PDK makes it oh so much better for me, and others.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

In my 991.1 GT3, I use the paddles on both track and road. More fun and engaging, and I prefer controlling when the car shifts. Maybe a bit slower on track than auto, but it's not racing. I only use auto when dealing with traffic or taking it easy on the road.
white924s (03-03-2021)
Old 07-07-2020, 12:57 PM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim the Engineer
To start out, Auto mode for sure.

For my race Cayman, the DME and PDK have been tuned, and the interlock between throttle and brake has been removed To get the high RPMs, manual mode is required. Also using full manual gives you an added degree of control, avoiding unwanted downshifts and upshifts.

Overall, however, the benefit of running full manual is marginal. For driver's with less track experience, running in auto allows you to focus on other things.
Thanks. I've driven two tracks now with the Cayman (SCCA TTNT last weekend) and PDK is pretty awesome. I've only run it in Sport Plus Auto mode. I do find the behavior sort of like: I brake into a turn and it downshifts nicely through a few gears, i apex and floor it and it holds in that gear for maybe 10feet and then it kicks down to a lower gear and pulls out. It's sort of odd to downshift while tracking out. It hasn't actually upset the car yet, but it seems like that potential is there. Is this how it should work? If i were shifting manually, i'd be in the lowest gear at the apex so i'm already in it for tracking out.

I don't have video, but i could share some Aim canbus data if helpful.

Quick Reply: PDK use on Track Day-auto or paddles?