Sponsored by:

PDK use on Track Day-auto or paddles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 02:07 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSpure
Sorry I'm bouncing but it's interesting.

I see that many of you prefer the PDK track in automatic mode with Sport +.
At the same time I watch all the professional drivers in laps on the Nurburgring track everyone including Kevin Estre is driving in M ​​mode - which feels more fun to me. Thoughts :-)
I think about it as a tool. I’m trying to drive fast laps, so I will seriously consider using manual mode if/when I get to the point where the automatic S+ is costing me time.

For where I currently am, it rarely picks the wrong gear (usually only an unnecessary downshift when encountering traffic). As a result, this frees me to focus on my line and throttle/brake application. I suspect the professionals are squeezing more out of the car and also using every inch of the track, whereas I’m probably more around 9/10s (maybe a bit more at a couple tracks).

all that said, the point is to have fun, so pull those paddles if it floats your boat
The following users liked this post:
GTSpure (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 02:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,499 Likes on 2,561 Posts

At the same time I watch all the professional drivers in laps on the Nurburgring track everyone including Kevin Estre is driving in M ​​mode - which feels more fun to me. Thoughts :-)
I still advocate using the paddles on track. Choosing when the car shifts will connect you better with car, is more fun, and won't be any slower for a capable driver. I see pros using the paddles, a pro advised me to use the paddles, and that's what I do. I've tried putting it auto sometimes, and I don't like it.
GTSpure (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 07:40 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 240 Posts

Yes, I've made the observation that every PDK that was EVER tested by a car magazine always has the driver shifting himself. So the test is always tainted. I guess if they let the computer shift it, somehow they will not be doing their full job! For mere mortals like us, putting it in automatic frees up additional computer space in our brain where we can use the extra space focusing on the line, braking points, and acceleration points - this is part of the reason PDK in auto is faster for us, at least.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:38 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Yes, I've made the observation that every PDK that was EVER tested by a car magazine always has the driver shifting himself. So the test is always tainted. I guess if they let the computer shift it, somehow they will not be doing their full job! For mere mortals like us, putting it in automatic frees up additional computer space in our brain where we can use the extra space focusing on the line, braking points, and acceleration points - this is part of the reason PDK in auto is faster for us, at least.
I’m pretty sure there’s at least 1 or 2 out there with Randy just leaving it in auto and letting the PDK do its thing.

I would recommend just running laps with full auto vs manual shifting the pdk and then review the data. It should be relatively straightforward to see if the pdk isn’t shifting optimally. 🤷‍♂️

My hypothesis is that it is similar to the PDK vs manual: the PDK is faster than the manual, but many prefer rowing gears because it’s fun and helps you feel connected to the car.

Manually shifting the PDK is likely slower (albeit by a microscopic margin), but may provide more of a connection to the car.

Here is my cayman in full auto:

Lime Rock:

WGI:

Monticello:

Last edited by NightBlueTTS; 02-27-2021 at 08:45 PM.
ProCoach (02-27-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 12:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS
I’m pretty sure there’s at least 1 or 2 out there with Randy just leaving it in auto and letting the PDK do its thing.
Bingo. My experience also, supported by gigabytes of data. Here's Randy doing a reasonable 991.1 GT3 Cup time in a street car on treaded Michelin tires...

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

NightBlueTTS (02-28-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 01:54 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

Perhaps I should RTFM, but is there a way to make it temporarily hold the current gear while in auto mode short of moving the shift lever to Manual? Second Q: In sport+, how long will it stay in manual override mode after you use the paddles? On the road, it is several seconds which wouldn’t be ideal on track!
Old 03-01-2021, 10:27 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

Pro Coach said it best "One less thing to screw up."

Concentrate on the other stuff to improve your driving. Learning curve is so steep as it is this helps flatten the curve a little bit.
dgrobs (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 10:52 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,499 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Funny to see people arguing that recreational track drivers should leave PDK in auto, while others argue that a manual box without autoblip is the true experience and using paddles with the PDK makes the car too self-driving.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:52 AM
Doug49
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mixed feelings about paddles vs auto, and it is probably car-dependent. I drive a '15 Cayman S. In that car, the PDK will kick down even in manual mode in Sport+ (what part of "manual" does it not understand?). But, I understand that kickdown doesn't occur in the GT cars in PDK-sport mode. I find the kickdown exiting corners can be quite annoying. There are some corners where I choose to stay in a higher gear because I can't use full throttle anyway, and/or the gear dropdown would be very brief. I'm not fond of the kickdown on exit when I have to shift back up in half a second. An example is turn 5 at NJMP Lightning that a previous poster mentioned. Maybe I'm just not smooth enough going to throttle. On the other hand, in auto mode, there are times when the downshift at unexpected times unsettles the car (or me) a little. An example of this is while trailing into the Laces at Watkins Glen. I would downshift there anyway, but when I can choose the timing, I'm expecting the effect. It also kind of offends me when the car upshifts just as I'm going to brake for a next corner. Without the kickdown issue, I would tend to drive with paddles so I am more aware of the gearing-related effects on car balance. With the kickdown issue, I do either auto or paddles depending on which behavior annoys me more on a particular day/track.

Quick Reply: PDK use on Track Day-auto or paddles?