Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:47 PM
OpenTrack
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699

your umbrella is likely useless. If your primary insurance doesn't cover it, neither does your umbrella...

my understanding is, if the sh$t hits the fans, pca and scca are SUPPOSED to cover you.

yet, with all the long term racers, and lawyers, on this forum... I have never seen this definitely documented...
You're spot on with your analysis of the insurance part of that answer. Almost all personal umbrella policies today are what is called "follow form". That means that the umbrella follows the underlying coverage. If there is no underlying coverage, there is no umbrella coverage.

Can't speak to the PCA/SCCA.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:50 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

So what's the net on what you are providing over Lockton + PCA?
If I got a 3 day event coverage at Lockton vs you for vehicle only, it's a touch cheaper. But if I add the $1 or 2MM, it is significantly more expensive, just as a data point.
Thanks for offering insurance and answering the Qs so far.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 PM
OpenTrack
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JPS
So what's the net on what you are providing over Lockton + PCA?
If I got a 3 day event coverage at Lockton vs you for vehicle only, it's a touch cheaper. But if I add the $1 or 2MM, it is significantly more expensive, just as a data point.
Thanks for offering insurance and answering the Qs so far.
In that scenario, with OpenTrack, you’d have $1M or $2M of personal liability protection. I encourage you to review the PCA liability policy vs OpenTrack to compare the level of protection provided.

The apples-to-apples would be the physical damage only on the car. The liability is a seaparate coverage that Lockton doesn’t offer.

You can certainly purchase physical damage only if you choose. You’re not required to buy liability. Just uncheck the box before you proceed to payment.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:25 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by opentrack

In that scenario, with OpenTrack, you’d have $1M or $2M of personal liability protection. I encourage you to review the PCA liability policy vs OpenTrack to compare the level of protection provided.

So are you saying Open track's required policy with the Track owner does not or never listed drivers as "additional insureds?" Therefore to now have liability protection at an Open Track event the driver is required to buy his own liability via the Open Track sign-up?
Old 06-05-2018, 10:12 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is it so difficult to learn exactly what scca/pca/fca cover? Its seems like that's the critical question, before you start addressing a secondary policy... There is a dozen threads on this...

If, as a driver, you are "paying" for the PCA coverage - which in fact you are, as its part of the entrance fee - then one would think they should give you a clear explanation of what's covered... No?I emailed PCA a year or two ago, no reply. Not even a generic email.

I know PCA excludes track damage... SCCA doesn't AFAIK. I know a couple folks that crashed at SCCA events hitting walls/barriers and never got a bill...
Old 06-05-2018, 12:50 PM
SAE911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a note to say I have worked with Opentrack for two years. Started out with collision policy as they didn't have liability. Went elsewhere for liability. Chose them because they will cover high stated value vehicles and their cost to cover additional cars is very reasonable. We have three cars covered along with additional drivers (I own the cars). I asked Opentrack for the last year or so to find a solution for liability and they have done so. I found their prices competitive. I consolidated my business with them I have found them to be very helpful from a customer support standpoint. Thankfully, I haven't had to test the coverage. This is a sticky issue which is hard to get clear answers on. I decided for me and my family the best bet was not to chance coverages by other organizations. I consider it the "cost to play".
Old 06-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Here is what PCA has published about their event insurance
General Description: This general liability insurance coverage is intended to protect PCA and its chartered regions and their members, event officials/instructors, drivers, crews, and other event participants, as well as event site landowners/managers/lessors and event racing vehicle owners and sponsors, and event sponsors from bodily injury, property damage, personal injury or advertising claims arising out of a covered incident at a PCA moving car or nonmoving car (meetings, concours, etc.) event.

Type of Coverage: Limits: Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage
Liability, Participant Legal Liability, Per event Contractual Liability, Products Liability, Personal Injury and Advertising Liability, Host Liquor Liability; Mobile Equipment Liability $10,000,000

Medical Professional Liability (Excess) $1,000,000

Per event Event Officials’ Errors and Omissions Coverage regarding rules enforcement $ 100,000 Per event

Exclusions: Exclusions include, but are not limited to the following: Moving car events where no effective system is in effect to collect Release and Waiver forms or where members of the general public are permitted to enter restricted areas without signing Release and Waiver forms, as well as concerts, amusement rides, thrill shows, etc
This is on PCA.org when you sign in.

I think the track charges any renter the damages to the track. It's up to the group on whether or not to pass that along. I have seen those costs passed down in many clubs and it's starting to happen in pro racing as well.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:21 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Here is what PCA has published about their event insurance

This is on PCA.org when you sign in.

I think the track charges any renter the damages to the track. It's up to the group on whether or not to pass that along. I have seen those costs passed down in many clubs and it's starting to happen in pro racing as well.
The coverage is very murky... from the same PCA site:
There are certain types of injury and damage that are not covered under the event liability coverage.

The policy does not provide coverage for damage to automobiles participating in the events and does

not provide coverage for the repair/replacement of structures damaged at the event location during

the event. The policy does not provide coverage for “spectator events.” PCA only holds non-spectator

events. Everyone who enters the premises of a PCA moving car event should be a driver, invited

guest of a driver, PCA member, premises official, volunteer worker, etc., and should have signed the

appropriate Release and Waiver. This makes them participants and not spectators. A Region should

never charge admission to the public to view a PCA event inasmuch

So, damage to other cars isn't covered. I get it, the waiver says as much. But, what happens when your 10k$ car hits the 500k$ GT, or your car dumps oil. Now, the waiver says everyone is on their own and each person assumed all risk. Great. But what happens if you get sued by the guy in the 500k car and lose?

Does the liability cover that, or not? Is the exclusionary language only applying to your car (ie. You crash, obviously they don't pay for it)? Or, does it apply to other cars that get damaged?

Does the PCA pay for the lawyer to defend you, even though property damage isn't covered?

What if you hit a corner worker?

What if you hit a track employee (they didn't sign waivers)?

What if you flip over into the stands and hit bystanders? (unlikely, I know)

Is that covered?
Old 06-11-2018, 12:33 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When we renewed with Open Track this year we added the liability coverage. Ben is doing a fine job answering questions, as usual, so I won’t presume to do the same. It isn’t my area of expertise. I will instead comment that my wife, who also tracks with me in three of our cars, is a lawyer with relevant knowledge and went over the policy as well as having another lawyer friend of hers review it along with our existing umbrella, on which we had been relying for liability up to now. They both pronounced themselves happy with the OT liability policy as written, and the price is competitive. I have made a small claim with Open Track on one occasion, during my first year of coverage. I was actually going to skip it but was encouraged by Ben when he learned of the incident, and he shepherded the claim through the process helping to earn our satisfaction and business. I feel confident offering a recommendation to anyone considering the primary or liability insurance through Open Track once they have determined it meets their needs; it’s a recommendation I’ve made to people at the track frequently over the past few years.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:15 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
The coverage is very murky... from the same PCA site:
There are certain types of injury and damage that are not covered under the event liability coverage.

The policy does not provide coverage for damage to automobiles participating in the events and does

not provide coverage for the repair/replacement of structures damaged at the event location during

the event. The policy does not provide coverage for “spectator events.” PCA only holds non-spectator

events. Everyone who enters the premises of a PCA moving car event should be a driver, invited

guest of a driver, PCA member, premises official, volunteer worker, etc., and should have signed the

appropriate Release and Waiver. This makes them participants and not spectators. A Region should

never charge admission to the public to view a PCA event inasmuch

So, damage to other cars isn't covered. I get it, the waiver says as much. But, what happens when your 10k$ car hits the 500k$ GT, or your car dumps oil. Now, the waiver says everyone is on their own and each person assumed all risk. Great. But what happens if you get sued by the guy in the 500k car and lose?

Does the liability cover that, or not? Is the exclusionary language only applying to your car (ie. You crash, obviously they don't pay for it)? Or, does it apply to other cars that get damaged?

Does the PCA pay for the lawyer to defend you, even though property damage isn't covered?

What if you hit a corner worker?

What if you hit a track employee (they didn't sign waivers)?

What if you flip over into the stands and hit bystanders? (unlikely, I know)

Is that covered?
The answer to all of your questions is "they signed the waiver." And, yes, even the track workers sign the waiver.

And in anticipation of the response "the waivers aren't worth the paper they are printed on," do you think ANY insurance company would offer ANY kind of insurance for ANY kind of track liability if they didn't have very high-priced lawyers telling them that the waiver is going to hold up? The answer is "no, they wouldn't take that risk."
Old 06-12-2018, 02:25 PM
solarblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using On Track Insurance for on track Liability of 1 ,000,000 for 2 years now . I picked their program for Physical Damage and Liability because they only use “Admitted “ insurance companies
Old 06-13-2018, 12:19 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
So are you saying Open track's required policy with the Track owner does not or never listed drivers as "additional insureds?" Therefore to now have liability protection at an Open Track event the driver is required to buy his own liability via the Open Track sign-up?

No reply...

So....Sounds like Open track you are on your own. PCA policy quoted in this thread sounds like participants are additional insureds and therefore covered. Any car is cheap. It is the liability that can bankrupt you. With SCCA they absorb cost of track damage oil spills and liability as far as I know. It is all in the participant entry fee. It makes sense for a 67,000 member car club to protect itself and protect its members for the future of the club which is now 70 years old. I am glad SCCA does not appear to have fallen for the Motorsport Safety Foundation self proclaimed activities under the guise of what's best for the sport. I fear the unintended consequences of initial good intentions.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:12 PM
OpenTrack
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
No reply...

So....Sounds like Open track you are on your own. PCA policy quoted in this thread sounds like participants are additional insureds and therefore covered. Any car is cheap. It is the liability that can bankrupt you. With SCCA they absorb cost of track damage oil spills and liability as far as I know. It is all in the participant entry fee. It makes sense for a 67,000 member car club to protect itself and protect its members for the future of the club which is now 70 years old. I am glad SCCA does not appear to have fallen for the Motorsport Safety Foundation self proclaimed activities under the guise of what's best for the sport. I fear the unintended consequences of initial good intentions.
Sorry for the delay in responding. OpenTrack in this situation (us) is actually the insurance provider. It sounds from your note that the Open Track you are referencing could be a track day provider? Just wanted to make sure I understand what you're asking. We, OpenTrack, are an insurance provider offering both physical damage & individual liability for drivers on-track. Any specific questions I can answer?
Visit OpenTrack.com for Annual Membership & On-Demand Daily Insurance. OpenTrack Annual Membership includes unlimited track-day insurance for 12 months and automatic enrollment in Drive Better, our free driver coaching program with pro-driver Andy Lee. As an Annual Member, you receive unlimited 1:1 coaching with Andy, invites to exclusive group coaching sessions and webinars, on-demand video content, track guides & pro-tips.

Physical Damage and Liability coverage available.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:57 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for the details.

Comparing OpenTrack to Lockton (who I have used exclusively) - OpenTrack is actually better on price WITH a liability plan added.

I also noticed that with OpenTrack I just have to list the track, vs. with Lockton I have to also go through their list of "events" with the various orgs. (i.e. if I want to do LAPS at Autobahn, I have to find LAPS first. If LAPS isn't in their list.... )

Some day, I will get my car back, and I will trust it enough to get back to the track. When that happens, I'll look into OpenTrack.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:00 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

One question....

Is terrorism protection really something we should be concerned with? LOL.....

Quick Reply: Introducing on-track liability insurance