Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 04:49 PM
OpenTrack
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Great Questions!
C: In regards to passengers no, passengers in your car are not covered for bodily injury. The policy's intent is to protect our member against damage to other cars, other drivers and property of other people (including track owned property).
C3: No, organized speed events pertains to competitive events. We cover all HPDE, testing and member day driving for both our PD and Liability policy, the only thing excluded is competitive events.
G: The exclusion does not apply to any track waivers. The contract actually states "this exclusion does not apply to liability for damages: assumed by you or an “additional driver” in any waiver or disclaimer signed at a “scheduled track” as a pre*condition for being allowed to drive on that track.

In regards to the last question, our policy covers physical damage and bodily injury both. You would need to check with the PCA/SCCA on what exactly their policy covers for you in the instance of a loss.

Let us know if you have any further questions and please keep the feedback and any answers you get elsewhere coming!
Old 05-31-2018, 04:52 PM
OpenTrack
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Liability deductible is $2,500 for both $1M and $2M Limits... great question, we missed that on in the FAQ
Old 05-31-2018, 05:13 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That helps, thanks...

Is the policy only in force during the coverage dates, or does it have a "tail"? For example. You get sued 3 years later for an accident that occurred. You had the policy only for that year, and the accident occurred within the policy dates...

Also, can you buy the policy the day of the event?

Bo
Old 05-31-2018, 05:30 PM
OpenTrack
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bpu699
That helps, thanks...

Is the policy only in force during the coverage dates, or does it have a "tail"? For example. You get sued 3 years later for an accident that occurred. You had the policy only for that year, and the accident occurred within the policy dates...

Also, can you buy the policy the day of the event?

Bo
Great questions.

The policy is "occurrence" based meaning that it protects you in the event that the incident took place during the active policy period... regardless of when the claim is actually filed. So if the claim is filed a year or two or three after the accident, it will still cover you if the accident took place while coverage was in force.

And yes, you can purchase coverage the day of the event.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:53 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Just curious you can be sued for liability while doing a track day? What about racing? I would think all liability goes out the window once you sign the release at the track. And just so you know i am not arguing this coverage just trying to educate myself.

Thank you,
Old 05-31-2018, 10:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

You can be sued for anything for any reason at any time.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:17 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You can be sued for anything for any reason at any time.
i hear that.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:51 AM
OpenTrack
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Just curious you can be sued for liability while doing a track day? What about racing? I would think all liability goes out the window once you sign the release at the track. And just so you know i am not arguing this coverage just trying to educate myself.

Thank you,
Hopefully your OpenTrack liability policy will prevent you from getting sued by paying for the damages in the event of a claim. Until now, your only option was to pay those damages out of pocket or run the risk of potentially being sued.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:50 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by opentrack
Hopefully your OpenTrack liability policy will prevent you from getting sued by paying for the damages in the event of a claim. Until now, your only option was to pay those damages out of pocket or run the risk of potentially being sued.
I'm curious to see what the open track policy looks like? So many organizers when asked, say that drivers are "additional insureds" which would make sense because the track owner wants that protection from being the deeper pocket. Then the track has it's own policy to co-insure the risk. This is just like a business owner's leased spot you have a premise liability slip and fall policy and the building owner has a master policy that protects him against your client slip and fall if your policy fails for some reason. All that said SCCA is the only group who has ever produced policy language in writing for me listing drivers as additional insureds.

So is this new open track "driver's" policy one more step to protect drivers with their own individual policy similar to a business owner's policy (previously unavailable to drivers) where the driver is still really protected as an additional insured under the open track policy?

A leasing business owner and Building owner co-insure. That is standard practice. Insurance companies make money off both parties insuring the same risk! Those insurance guys are smart and know how to make money.

I don't understand why there is no co-insurance between driver and organizer for the same risk on track? Seems like a missed chance for insurance co to make money. Perhaps this will become a new thing? I don't think that is a bad thing. As an individual I don't want to rely on the organizer. I'm happy to pay for my own policy.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:16 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

I just signed up for two days of coverage at this weekend’s BMW CCA HPDE at HPT. The website was very easy to navigate and the product allowed me to insure the car for it’s full value instead of there being a cap. Also it was cheaper than both Lockton and RLI/Haggerty.

Bish
Old 06-01-2018, 05:49 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

So to confirm, if one were to have a bad off at a track like WGI where damage costs pile up rapidly, this would cover that type of damage minus the deductible?

I think this is a good idea as I have been looking for a more comprehensive umbrella coverage to protect myself in these types of activities.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts

I’m not certain I’m getting this right, but if there were a collision with another car, where both cars had passengers, and all involved are injured, this wotpuld help with medical expenses for everyone except the passenger of the insured’s car?
Old 06-03-2018, 06:15 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
So to confirm, if one were to have a bad off at a track like WGI where damage costs pile up rapidly, this would cover that type of damage minus the deductible?

I think this is a good idea as I have been looking for a more comprehensive umbrella coverage to protect myself in these types of activities.
your umbrella is likely useless. If your primary insurance doesn't cover it, neither does your umbrella...

my understanding is, if the sh$t hits the fans, pca and scca are SUPPOSED to cover you.

yet, with all the long term racers, and lawyers, on this forum... I have never seen this definitely documented...
Old 06-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
your umbrella is likely useless. If your primary insurance doesn't cover it, neither does your umbrella...

my understanding is, if the sh$t hits the fans, pca and scca are SUPPOSED to cover you.

yet, with all the long term racers, and lawyers, on this forum... I have never seen this definitely documented...
But I've also never heard a story where it wasn't covered or there were any problems.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:46 PM
OpenTrack
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Difool
I’m not certain I’m getting this right, but if there were a collision with another car, where both cars had passengers, and all involved are injured, this wotpuld help with medical expenses for everyone except the passenger of the insured’s car?
Hello, sorry for the delayed response. This policy would trigger in the instance that you hit someone and that caused damage to the other person's car (property damage) and/or passengers (bodily injury)... it would also cover damage to track property.

We were meeting with a track today and they told the story of a recent single car crash where that caused $5K damage to track property. This policy would have triggered in that instance and paid the track if the driver had the Liability policy.

Quick Reply: Introducing on-track liability insurance