Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 01:46 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sway bar setting on gt4/gt3

I figure it's all same

Mine is at medium front and hard rear

I had it at med/med but told dealer to change the rear to hard. Now I'm thinking I should try soft front.

After removing the front wheels, I see the sway bar link and 3 holes. Is it as easy as removing the link nut to moving to to most outside hole for soft setting?
Old 05-20-2018, 02:12 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

What are you trying to achieve?

I run my gt4 on med/med and it handles very well and I have pretty good lap times
Old 05-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

My GT4 came set at Med/Med. I ran it for a few events at that setting before trying Hard R, and Med F. In an attempt to reduce understeer on slow turns I went to Hard R and Soft F. I have dropped F ride height to correct rake lost running small dia R tire. Springs and shocks are stock. Other factors are alignment and tire pressure differential F/R. I run the same F & R.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:11 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Trying to get rid of mid corner understeer.

I know there is a lot of factors - like THE driver is always an issue (me hahaha)

I just wanted to try something different. Perhaps I should leave it as is on f med/r hard and see how it is. I'm running at COTA end of the month. I always felt there was understeer on slow turns but more I watch my video, it could be me not "rotating" the car enough or just wrong entry/line. Still learning here
Old 05-20-2018, 11:28 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DC640
Trying to get rid of mid corner understeer.

I know there is a lot of factors - like THE driver is always an issue (me hahaha)

I just wanted to try something different. Perhaps I should leave it as is on f med/r hard and see how it is. I'm running at COTA end of the month. I always felt there was understeer on slow turns but more I watch my video, it could be me not "rotating" the car enough or just wrong entry/line. Still learning here
COTA is tough track in parts - 11,12, 13-15 - to get rotated. I'd try to work on using a bit more throttle steer to get car rotated. A just real quick lift of the throttle can do wonders. I also trail brake quite a bit to get as much position as I can early in the corner.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,854 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
COTA is tough track in parts - 11,12, 13-15 - to get rotated. I'd try to work on using a bit more throttle steer to get car rotated. A just real quick lift of the throttle can do wonders. I also trail brake quite a bit to get as much position as I can early in the corner.
If you have to lift quickly to tuck the nose in, you’ve already made a mistake. It means you’re back to power before the car is pointed (or on it’s way to being pointed) in the right direction. This is often due to early application-early release of the brakes. On the more acute corners at COTA, of which there are many, you need to KEEP weight on the nose past the initiation of corner entry.

Dion von Moltke nailed it in his video evaluation of Matt Romanowski’s entry into Turn 1 at the Glen. If you’re back on power before the apex, you’ve finished braking too soon!

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If you have to lift quickly to tuck the nose in, you’ve already made a mistake. It means you’re back to power before the car is pointed (or on it’s way to being pointed) in the right direction. This is often due to early application-early release of the brakes. On the more acute corners at COTA, of which there are many, you need to KEEP weight on the nose past the initiation of corner entry.

Dion von Moltke nailed it in his video evaluation of Matt Romanowski’s entry into Turn 1 at the Glen. If you’re back on power before the apex, you’ve finished braking too soon!

Good luck!
Thanks. I suffer from that at Oak Tree. I have watched your virtual track walk and can never get the braking right at 11 and almost always have to add throttle between 11 and 12 and then initiate enough weight transfer at 12 to get car rotated. Gonna go back and watch the track walk and some videos.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Thanks. I suffer from that at Oak Tree. I have watched your virtual track walk and can never get the braking right at 11 and almost always have to add throttle between 11 and 12 and then initiate enough weight transfer at 12 to get car rotated. Gonna go back and watch the track walk and some videos.
Yeah, that's huge. The whole T11-12 complex, taken as a unit, is key to a good lap time. Try braking more softly at T11 first, so that your speed descent isn't so sharp and more linear all the way down to just past the turn-in point for Oak Tree. Then, push the brake point half a car length at a time IN to (and slightly past) the turn-in for T11.

That add-throttle is a key indicator (a tiny bit might be ok) but the initiation of weight transfer trailing in to T12 is MANDATORY. From ALL the way left edge, two to three car lengths from the end of the yello/green outside curbing. NOT before the perpendicular line at the leading edge of the inside curbing...

Good luck.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-20-2018, 03:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Good luck!
Bingo
Old 05-20-2018, 07:11 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

That makes a lot of sense.

I admit- I finish braking too early and and on throttle too soon then realize "oh I'm not rotated enough- I have to lift a little then on power"

I will need to keep practicing. This is apart from car setup. Sounds like it's me 100% Thanks for the pointer
Old 05-20-2018, 07:30 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

That makes a lot of sense.

I admit- I finish braking too early and and on throttle too soon then realize "oh I'm not rotated enough- I have to lift a little then on power"

I will need to keep practicing. This is apart from car setup. Sounds like it's me 100% Thanks for the pointer
And me...
Old 05-20-2018, 07:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

And most...
Old 05-20-2018, 09:38 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Good luck!
words of wisdom. You just explained something I was not thinking of....

Last edited by DC640; 05-21-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

This is words of wisdom. You just explained something I was not thinking of....
Hahaha!

That is the definition of wisdom, isn’t it?

An elemental concept that eludes reasonable, rational people until doing the same old things don’t work anymore, and you HAVE to try something different, if only to improve!

My experience has brought me into contact with (along with deep study of) drivers functioning at the highest level. When this happens, trends emerge.

This is one that’s almost universal...

Not to say that the car can’t be made MORE responsive, and more predictable, by making changes like these.

But, my experience is that when drivers who are not yet functioning at a high level make relatively small changes to bars, shocks or tire pressures in an effort to fundamentally alter the balance of the car, they’re off the mark.

That’s not only wishful thinking, it’s masking the fundamental cause of the handling imbalance in the first place, which of course is the loose nut behind the wheel!

Even the best get greedy at entry, then lambaste themselves when mid corner understeer raises it’s ugly head!

But, we can all do better

God, I love data with video... it’s not a tattletale, it’s a tool!

Old 05-21-2018, 11:38 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

assuming you drive a GT4 (which isn't clear from tittle) take a look here to see what the car can do at your favorite track. usually there is link to video/data and COTA has some really fast GT4 drivers who can share setup info with you as well.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9393...-in-a-gt4.html

Quick Reply: Sway bar setting on gt4/gt3