Sponsored by:

Scariest Racing Moment

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 09:06 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
First and last race in a new to me car. P6 and moving up. Probably the only chance I ever had at a podium in SM in the dry. I got pit maneuvered as a result of a mistake by a friend.

https://youtu.be/9iU2ntLV9RQ
Excellent production quality on the video. There were all those bleeps after the crash. Did you leave your parking sensors active?
In all seriousness, I'm glad you walked away from that.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Up unitl last weeks Nurburgring 24 where in the rain and at night with the Spec Hankook tires in our AMG GT4 racecar (driving a 2hr stint) that had no grip over the michelin rubbered surface, this was my code brown highest moment:

997.2 Cup Car at Road Atlanta

https://vimeo.com/29746322
I remember when you posted that Carlos. It's got that "I meant to do that" feel to it. Well done.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:44 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Not a race, but at a DE some years ago. Lots of traffic, but everything was fine, until it was not so fine. Car way ahead was dropping fluids. Even today, I can't believe I made it up to the T8 flagstation. Was on the brakes all the way up the hill and parked it in between the flagger's truck and the station. Hit the ravine so hard that I popped the passenger mirror glass off its mount with the heater wires being the only thing holding it on. When the car stopped, oil pressure was nil, but it was still running. Oil was still in the engine, just none in the sump. Ended the weekend and went home on the flat bed with broken engine and trans mounts.

I had recently got my R3 and actually had time to think while this unfolded that I was glad I had it. In real time I thought I was going to hit the silver Boxter or the flag station.

End of the video has slow-mo too.:

-Mike
Old 05-19-2018, 03:12 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Not a race either DE couple of weeks ago, a friend said I could go flat out through Bishop's bend... not so much... 1:39 is the oh #@$@#$ moment.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
First and last race in a new to me car. P6 and moving up. Probably the only chance I ever had at a podium in SM in the dry. I got pit maneuvered as a result of a mistake by a friend.

https://youtu.be/9iU2ntLV9RQ

man i had a similar one caused by a wonderful oil slick.....miss that yellow car

i do love the second you stop your hand is in the WTFFFFF position
Old 05-19-2018, 06:43 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Up unitl last weeks Nurburgring 24 where in the rain and at night with the Spec Hankook tires in our AMG GT4 racecar (driving a 2hr stint) that had no grip over the michelin rubbered surface, this was my code brown highest moment:

box box box
Old 05-19-2018, 09:20 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Not a race, but at a DE some years ago. Lots of traffic, but everything was fine, until it was not so fine. Car way ahead was dropping fluids. Even today, I can't believe I made it up to the T8 flagstation. Was on the brakes all the way up the hill and parked it in between the flagger's truck and the station. Hit the ravine so hard that I popped the passenger mirror glass off its mount with the heater wires being the only thing holding it on. When the car stopped, oil pressure was nil, but it was still running. Oil was still in the engine, just none in the sump. Ended the weekend and went home on the flat bed with broken engine and trans mounts.

I had recently got my R3 and actually had time to think while this unfolded that I was glad I had it. In real time I thought I was going to hit the silver Boxter or the flag station.

End of the video has slow-mo too.:

-Mike
Mike - that slo mo really shows how much your head whipped around. Kinda makes me think halo seats are a worthwhile investment

Jeff
Old 05-19-2018, 09:37 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Mike - that slo mo really shows how much your head whipped around. Kinda makes me think halo seats are a worthwhile investment

Jeff
Although I didn't feel it that day, my neck was sore for weeks afterward. It doesn't look that fast from the video, but that off started at fairly high speed, about 80-85 MPH. That car has since been retired from track service and the track M3 has the proper halos, cage, and harnesses. It's got 188K on it now and I still drive it on the street.

To me the amazing thing is what happened to the passenger door mirror - I didn't break it. I popped it off it's plastic clips by applying a force up through the frame/body of the car. Imaging hitting the frame with a big hammer hard enough to pop that glass loose. After this happened, I just snapped it back in. Anybody who has replaced mirror glass will know what I'm talking about - to service them you have to a lot of force and you think you are going to break the glass.

That day was also amazing in another way. It was Saturday afternoon. I was starting a new job that Monday and had driven to the race track. As I rode back in the flat bed I was thinking how much is this going to cost to tow the 100 miles+ home? The tow guy hadn't even got it off the flatbed before I had 2-3 offers to borrow tow vehicles and trailers to get my wounded M3 home. I was home before dark and even had to argue with the guy to fill his tow vehicle up to get back to TWS. I was assessing damage Sunday and Monday was undramatic. Generally speaking, track people are an excellent bunch.

BTW, the Boxter driver bought my wife and I dinner for not hitting him :-). Said the side view of my ravine flight was spectacular but was not running video.

-Mike
Old 05-20-2018, 03:09 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
man i had a similar one caused by a wonderful oil slick.....miss that yellow car

i do love the second you stop your hand is in the WTFFFFF position
I’m proud of that and my command and use of the English language the nanosecond the car came to rest.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Moments...

Originally Posted by seanseidman
I thought it would be interesting to share code brown moments.
At the Sebring 12hr with 30 minutes to go, I was approaching the Hairpin, while passing a slower car, but the guy moved over on me and I got off in the grass and spun. It felt like I went around three times, but I didn’t hit anything and came to a stop in the turn pointing the right way. I was trying desperately to catch Redman in the #25 BMW, but after my spin I gave up on that idea and drove in for second place. Very lucky!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:40 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114609048
At the Sebring 12hr with 30 minutes to go, I was approaching the Hairpin, while passing a slower car, but the guy moved over on me and I got off in the grass and spun. It felt like I went around three times, but I didn’t hit anything and came to a stop in the turn pointing the right way. I was trying desperately to catch Redman in the #25 BMW, but after my spin I gave up on that idea and drove in for second place. Very lucky!
sounds pretty hairy
can you provide us a link to the video?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My scariest racing moment took place in a 125cc shifter kart, in which I raced competitively for six years. There are three main races in shifter karts...road course, sprint, and street. Although I've had many sketchy moments in road and sprint racing, the worst was in a street race in Illinois called the Rock Island Grand Prix. They shut the town down, and we raced in the streets at speeds in excess of 100mph if memory serves me right. I was in 4th place with a few laps left and closing on 3rd, and I would always get a good run on him on the straight in the draft and I aimed to take him on the inside of T1. Well, someone had nicked the barriers coming onto the straight the previous lap, and following my normal line I touched that barrier enough to break the bottom of my steering shaft. This put me through a set of barriers directly to my face. Apart from a broken helmet, being dazed, and a gash to my left shin I walked away no worse for wear. And guess what....I got it on gopro. Enjoy haha.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:38 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That video is the most epic bit of luck. I still remember riding along at NYST chasing that GTR, that was some fun lol.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:57 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

DE moments, but scary nonetheless. Both at NJMP Lightning, a few years ago when I had an E90 M3.

First clip action happens around the 1:00 mark right after the T5 hump. I tracked out of T5 a little wide and hit the blunt, harsh edge of the start of the track-out curbing with my left front tire, sending me across the track and towards the inside wall.

Second involves a Corvette whose engine lets go right as we approach the tight left-hand T4. I guessed left and was luckily correct. Starts around 3:05.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:55 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I remember when you posted that Carlos. It's got that "I meant to do that" feel to it. Well done.
Even when Carlos F-s up its done with style!

Is it just me or are all of my scariest moments when I am towing my car to and from the race track and not actually on track?

Quick Reply: Scariest Racing Moment