Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you buy a well sorted streetable race car?
Absolutely, sign me up!
50.69%
Never, race car and groceries don't mix.
49.31%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Would you want a streetable race car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:49 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Would you want a streetable race car?

I am currently working with my shop about converting my BMW M240i into a race car. But, based on extensive conversation with my wife, we want to be able to use it as a street car as well. I spoke with the shop about this and they thought I was kidding. Personally, I am surprised that this hasn't been done by more people. No more having to trailer the car and no more car that can only be used off road. Am I the only one that thinks a fast, well sorted streetable race car would be marketable?

The car would still have all of its daily luxuries like gps, stereo, and a/c but would also have the proper safety equipment and well tuned suspension/performance bits. Of course, there would be no compromise in safety on the street and track.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:30 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_and
Of course, there would be no compromise in safety on the street and track.
Impossible, unless you also wear your helmet and HANS in your fully caged car on the street.
Then there’s tires, alignment, suspension.... What’s best for the track will be awful for the street and vice versa.

There are a lot of good street/track cars but none without compromises.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Nothing would be worse in my mind than a race car on the street...but we have pot holes large enough to get lost in and lose your signal with waze
Old 05-15-2018, 05:35 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Everything you do to make a better track car will make a worse street car.

By the time you get to full on race car, it's almost undriveable on the street. As mentioned, a full roll cage isn't safe without helmet. Six-point restraints aren't safe without HANS. Suspension would be horrible on the street unless you have glass-smooth roads. Tire wear would suck. The car would probably scrape on everything bigger than a squirrel that you drive over.

Just use the tow vehicle as a daily driver. There are some fancy trucks & SUV's these days.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:45 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I am in that Boat, There is ONE Reason and ONE reason only that I leave my Racecar Street legal... SHAKEDOWN. Put a new engine in it or Do whatever to it, and Take it for a quick Cruise on the street, Usually after 1/2 hr things will show up. In any case 800LB springs stink on the road...and Yes, without a helmet it is fairly dangerous with a full cage..
Old 05-15-2018, 05:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Everything you do to make a better track car will make a worse street car.

By the time you get to full on race car, it's almost undriveable on the street. As mentioned, a full roll cage isn't safe without helmet. Six-point restraints aren't safe without HANS. Suspension would be horrible on the street unless you have glass-smooth roads. Tire wear would suck. The car would probably scrape on everything bigger than a squirrel that you drive over.

Just use the tow vehicle as a daily driver. There are some fancy trucks & SUV's these days.
Ive been drivng my race car on the streets and to races for 20 years. the net net, is that it is noisy (i dont mind), you do have to be careful of pot holes and curbs/driveways, and the ride is a big firm. (also dont mind). tire wear isnt that bad, but thats more of a function of running DOTs which are softer....
it saves a TON of time when you get to the track and commuting to the track.. ( you get to the track , on 3 hour drives, about 30 mins faster).

sign up for AAA Plus, and you got a ride home if something happens you cant fix or change at the track.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:04 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I still have my 944, with a half cage, race tires, race suspension, stripped interior, etc., legal as a street car. I use it to go no further than 30 minutes from home and that is it. Because it is a 1987 classified as an antique it just needs lights and a horn and it is street legal.

Now a full caged race car is another matter. If you drive a full cage and get into an accident you are going to crack your head open like a coconut! My Cayman is not street legal.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:57 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I am surprised that this hasn't been done by more people. No more having to trailer the car and no more car that can only be used off road. Am I the only one that thinks a fast, well sorted streetable race car would be marketable?
There is a reason more people don't do it. Compromising on one thing to do two jobs is seldom the right choice. You end up with two things that are OK at both, but not great at either. Having the right tool for the job is always better. AC, GPS and a radio is utterly useless in a race. Roll cage, halo seat and 6 point harnesses are useless on the street.

Also, you should just buy a completed race car. Converting a street car is the most expensive way to get a race car...

-td
Old 05-15-2018, 07:46 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

You might as well add wings and have a flying street race car.... ?
Old 05-15-2018, 08:16 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

In the past I was an SCCA racer and my race car exploited every rule. After an absence of many years and the purchase of a base Cayman I discovered HPDE. I lightly modded the Cayman with some suspension mods and R Comp tires. The car remained a daily driver. Looking for more performance, I traded it in on a Cayman S, had the suspension mods moved to the new car. Over the years the S became a street legal PCA H class race car. Had a roll bar rather than a full cage, race seats and harnesses but retained 3-point belts. Suspension had 2-way shocks and stiffer springs and I retained a full interior. Added a little aero. Front splitters became consumables. Car was still used as daily driver. The ride became very uncomfortable but it was a great track car. I got an allocation for a GT4 and sold the car. The GT4 has an aggressive track alignment, roll bar and harnesses, track wheels and tires, but otherwise is stock. I find it a good compromise as a street/track car. .
Old 05-15-2018, 08:49 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

... But, based on extensive conversation with my wife,...
I don't need to read any more. Don't you remember FogHorn LegHorn. "Well boy, I'll tell ya, no need to be talkin' to that wife of yours..."
Old 05-15-2018, 09:26 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
I am in that Boat, There is ONE Reason and ONE reason only that I leave my Racecar Street legal... SHAKEDOWN. Put a new engine in it or Do whatever to it, and Take it for a quick Cruise on the street, Usually after 1/2 hr things will show up. In any case 800LB springs stink on the road...and Yes, without a helmet it is fairly dangerous with a full cage..
thats a great point. For safety reasons, I bought a fully caged car. Problem is, really can't test drive it. First session or two at the hpde are making sure all is well...

never underestimate the the benefit of being able to drive the car albeit briefly, on the road... huge positive
Old 05-15-2018, 11:04 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I vote again? Call it a Mulligan or something...
Old 05-16-2018, 01:14 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I've been driving a dual-purpose car for 19 years and even if I had a tow vehicle and room for a trailer, I'd pass.

I like driving to the track, kicking some *** (and sure, sometimes getting my *** kicked), and then driving the same car to dinner that night on the same tires.

I bolt on aero pieces that fit inside the car for the drive home.

I realize it's not for everyone, and it wouldn't be viable at the higher levels of club racing. I can't keep up with every car out there, but my annual budget stays very low and I generally do pretty well against other cars.

Last edited by JackOlsen; 05-16-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I've been driving a dual-purpose car for 19 years and even if I had a tow vehicle and room for a trailer, I'd pass.

I like driving to the track, kicking some *** (and sure, sometimes getting my *** kicked), and then driving the same car to dinner that night on the same tires.

I bolt on aero pieces that fit inside the car for the drive home.

I realize it's not for everyone, and it wouldn't be viable at the higher levels of club racing. I can't keep up with every car out there, but my annual budget stays very low and I generally do pretty well against other cars.
+1
4-point roll bar, 6-point harness, HANS, with 3-point still in tact, PITA climbing in and out but still streatable

Quick Reply: Would you want a streetable race car?