Sponsored by:

Subaru Impreza Compression Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:14 AM
grantheidenreich
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Impreza Compression Test

I am considering buying a used 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX with 92,000 miles on it. I am wondering what kind of compression should be expected out of each cylinder and how much variance is acceptable between each cylinder considering the age of the car. I would also like to know what the compression is when the car is new. I would like to gain some insight relating to the longevity of this vehicle.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I recall in my years over on NASIOC you're looking for 130psi ±10psi with a maximum of 10psi between highest and lowest numbers.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Maybe a better place to ask is a Subaru forum vs. a Porsche Racing and Driver's Ed site??
Old 05-08-2018, 08:53 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Given the make in the title and the fact that this is a P-Car forum, I thought there was a chance the title was a play on words about some poor Impreza that got compressed into a wall or other mishap. Good to see that is not the case.

In all seriousness, IMHO, this forum is one of the best track communities on the net. Yes, it has its warts, but there are quite a few of us non-Porsche interlopers who lurk and post here. The community gets into peeing races and dead horse beating from time to time, but it is far, far better than the crap that goes on in some other track forums.

The question was worth a shot - but I suspect there has got to be a Subi group somewhere with better info.

Good luck,
-Mike
Old 05-08-2018, 09:03 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 171 Posts

Those cars have a tendency to destroy the pistons due to slapping when the engine is cold , not sure if that`s the correct way to describe it though ...
All Subaru 2.5`s make some piston noise when the engine is cold , but if the noise is still there when the engine is warm , it`s not a good sign.

My son has an 08 WRX and we had to install a set of forged pistons , still makes noise when cold but they won`t destroy themselves.Do a search on the Subaru
forums , lots of useful information there !

Yes, yes , wrong forum ... just trying to help !

Quick Reply: Subaru Impreza Compression Test