Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need the unemotional logic of RLers. ZR1 or R?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018 | 10:41 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Default I need the unemotional logic of RLers. ZR1 or R?

I know . . . I know . . . it's a spoiled, middle-aged, 1st world, silly question and how dare I ask this question on a Porsche forum, BUT . . . isn't it all about having fun, learning to be a better driver, AND going fast

Anyways, heres the situation and the question. First, I own a Cayman R. I LOVE this car, but it appears the R is slowly turning into a collectors item as prices seem to be holding steady over the last year or two, but I am most definitely NOT a car collector. I love the fact that I can drive this car to a track, have some amazing laps, and then drive home in the very same car. I NEVER drive it anywhere other than to and from the track. Also most of my track days are not PCA DE days, but rather I am fortunate enough to be a member of the Lime Rock Drivers Club so that is where the R sees it's track time. Now, however, since the R is becoming potentially collectable, I'm starting to feel guilty when I take it to the track.

The question is: Why not buy a Corvette ZR1 for the LRDC? It's a super car at a non-super price, no?

The folks here are great at fleshing out the heart of the matter and leaving emotion behind so what say you Rennlist? Buy the 'Vette or keep the R?

2019 Chevy Corvette ZR1 First Drive Review:
You knew it would be fast, but this Vette plumbs the extremes

P.S. I would still have my F Class Porsche for races and PCA DEs.

My R . . .

Last edited by JP66; 04-30-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2018 | 10:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Good Lord, Joe! If you drove the ZR1 on-track, you wouldn’t even ask the question!

Do it. You know you want to...
Old 04-30-2018 | 12:08 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

I disagree with the premise the Cayman R is becoming collectable. It's an interesting car but not a limited numbered car. So don't see why using it would be a source of guilt.

On values, isn't a ZR1 like 120k? well over twice what a R is worth. If you want a faster car and ok with the cost then go for it. Could also consider a 2015 GT3.
Old 04-30-2018 | 12:23 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Originally Posted by zedcat
I disagree with the premise the Cayman R is becoming collectable. It's an interesting car but not a limited numbered car. So don't see why using it would be a source of guilt.

On values, isn't a ZR1 like 120k? well over twice what a R is worth. If you want a faster car and ok with the cost then go for it. Could also consider a 2015 GT3.
The ZR1 is significantly faster around a track than the GT3, but also a bit trickier to drive with all of that torque. I think the grand sport and GT3 turn similar lap times and the ZR1 has 300 more HP, better suspension and much better aero. Love the GT3 but the ZR1 is in a totally different league on the track.
Old 04-30-2018 | 12:42 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schaibaa

The ZR1 is significantly faster around a track than the GT3, but also a bit trickier to drive with all of that torque. I think the grand sport and GT3 turn similar lap times and the ZR1 has 300 more HP, better suspension and much better aero. Love the GT3 but the ZR1 is in a totally different league on the track.
Agree. I was thinking of other fun, track capable cars in the approx. price range. No doubt ZR1 is faster.
Old 04-30-2018 | 12:45 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Having had a C7 Z06 for 2 and 1/2 years I would tell you to get the ZR1 immediately. Throw a DSC V3 on there along with the DSC track alignment settings and you’re essentially ‘invincible’ (within reason of course), on track. The torque is not an issue once you get used to it and the PTM actuation in ‘Track’ mode on the car is incredible.

Bish
Old 04-30-2018 | 12:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Caymans (Caymen?) are not collectors items

And comparing one to a new ZR1 is really an apples and ashtrays comparison. Why not track both?
Old 04-30-2018 | 01:14 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

What’s your goal — to become a faster driver or to just drive faster? If the former, then work on lapping your F class Boxster in under a minute at LRP. If the latter, you’ll get bored by the ZR1 and replace it with what? Keep the R for the street or replace it with a more street-friendly car.

Also keep in mind that the faster or closer to the limit you drive, the more important full safety gear (full cage, halo, hans, harness) becomes.
Old 04-30-2018 | 01:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by thebishman
Having had a C7 Z06 for 2 and 1/2 years I would tell you to get the ZR1 immediately. Throw a DSC V3 on there along with the DSC track alignment settings and you’re essentially ‘invincible’ (within reason of course), on track. The torque is not an issue once you get used to it and the PTM actuation in ‘Track’ mode on the car is incredible.

Bish
Agreed. For a drive-to-the-track, giggle in your helmet every lap and drive home again car, ZR1 without question. Resist the temptation to mod, but if you do, DSC has an enviable track record.
Old 04-30-2018 | 02:27 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
...If the latter, you’ll get bored by the ZR1 and replace it with what?
Not easy to get bored by a ZR1, but if you do, you're gonna need a Radical or a Stohr/Dauntless...

...back to mode...
Old 04-30-2018 | 02:29 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Don’t even think about it .... just go do it! If you want a great track car that you can drive to the track, this is a great choice. Corvettes are fantastic track cars.

Enjoy,
Charley
Old 04-30-2018 | 02:31 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Not easy to get bored by a ZR1, but if you do, you're gonna need a Radical or a Stohr/Dauntless...

...back to mode...

Well said!
Old 04-30-2018 | 02:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 924RACR

...back to mode...
From the man who KNOWS!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-30-2018 | 02:51 PM
BillNye
Racer

The Cayman R is only special in the realm of 987s. I don't see them becoming a "collectible". They may be holding their value, but Porsche values are generally pretty inflated right now. In the short-ish term the ZR1 is going to be more of a collectible.

As to logic, my only hesitation about the ZR1 is that the power-train is a bit "unproven" for longterm track reliability. Lots of highly stressed components (relative to a 987), and nobody outside the factory has spent any time finding all the weak points.
If I wanted a drive-to-the-track car to beat like it owed me money and go really fast I'd get a grand sport and do a few mods to it. The C7 is so capable and cheap like borscht.
Old 04-30-2018 | 04:08 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Good Lord, Joe! If you drove the ZR1 on-track, you wouldn’t even ask the question!

Do it. You know you want to...
How'd I know you'd say that! Of course I WANT to . . .

Originally Posted by zedcat

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Caymans (Caymen?) are not collectors items

And comparing one to a new ZR1 is really an apples and ashtrays comparison. Why not track both?
All you 911 snobs Ok. let's say it's not collectable . . . still in 2015 when I bought my R they could be had for the mid-40s. Today a manual low miles R with sport seats is 60ish. 20 to 30% increase in 3 years. That ain't the depreciation I was planning on and IF prices are inflated perhaps now is a good time to take advantage.

"Apples to ashtrays" . . . that there is funny!

I WISH I could track both. Not sure I could pull that one off with my better half.

Originally Posted by hf1
What’s your goal — to become a faster driver or to just drive faster? If the former, then work on lapping your F class Boxster in under a minute at LRP. If the latter, you’ll get bored by the ZR1 and replace it with what? Keep the R for the street or replace it with a more street-friendly car.

Also keep in mind that the faster or closer to the limit you drive, the more important full safety gear (full cage, halo, hans, harness) becomes.

Absolutely 100% I plan on using my Boxster to take lessons from professionals and continue to improve as a "racer", but the "club" days are more social with people driving Mini-Coopers, Ford Focuses, Corvettes, and lots of other street cars rather than hard core DE dedicated cars so really the R versus Z is that thing Peter said about drive to the track "giggle in your helmet" have a beer with friends after and then drive home.

Originally Posted by BillNye
. . .

As to logic, my only hesitation about the ZR1 is that the power-train is a bit "unproven" for longterm track reliability. Lots of highly stressed components (relative to a 987), and nobody outside the factory has spent any time finding all the weak points.
If I wanted a drive-to-the-track car to beat like it owed me money and go really fast I'd get a grand sport and do a few mods to it. The C7 is so capable and cheap like borscht.
Yeah the "unproven" part was the bit of logic popping up in my head as well. As awesome as the ZR1 looks on paper maybe waiting a year wouldn't be the worst idea. I have driven a C7, but I'm a mid-engine guy. That's what got my attention about the ZR1. The R just "feels" right - perfectly balanced and nimble - while the C7 "felt" tail happy and heavy to me. Of course I'm no pro and it was only a few laps, but anyways that was my initial impression. My assumption is the ZR1 will feel more like an R in terms of balance; of course given it's vastly superior power it may not matter how it "feels" and it may simply be "too much car" for me. Sure would be great to try one first . . . maybe one of the other club members will take the plunge

Last edited by JP66; 04-30-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: I need the unemotional logic of RLers. ZR1 or R?