Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you rev match downshift (no heel/toe)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:14 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Learning race car driving is like most other skilled trades...often you got to go to school for it. OP is best served by getting a coach.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I don' think Trail braking involves heel toe as your downshifting should be done by turn in, thereby separating it from the trail braking portion of the turn.

Ideally you should want to get the shifts done(at least the last one) so shifting should be done by turn-in.
Correct!

The purpose of downshifting has NOTHING to do with slowing. It has ONLY to do with selecting the optimal gear to apply the best power THROUGH and OFF the turn you’re entering.

I read the a), b), c) progression as mastering three fundamental concepts to allow the best passage from vMax through to the exit of the corner, not that Jabs was advocating bringing the last downshift OR maximal braking PAST the beginning of the trail-brake phase, just UP TO IT. Which is what you want to do, in a perfect world...
Old 04-30-2018, 10:34 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
With all due respect, here's evidence that that is NOT the case, if done properly and well.

915 gearbox, 3.0-liter carbureted engine, no ABS, R7 Hoosiers. Listen and weep, or learn...

https://youtu.be/p9qY-SipYtA
Nicely done
112-115 mph through turn 2, and perfect line through the esses.
I want my video to look and sound like that.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Nicely done

I want my video to look and sound like that.
So do I!

In this case, he DID need to pause in his acceleration at and just past the direction change into T3 due to the fact that this car has NO wings, splitters, canards or anything other than a small, short ducktail on the engine lid.

He needed to pitch forward to weight the nose and begin the direction change, as the road leveled out and the car unloaded (lost front grip). Once it began the change in direction, he was right back to the quick progression to WOT and got a good exit over the tunnel. A lot of relatively heavy street cars need to do this, especially on treaded tires.

My friend and client, on his way to winning the Masters class in GT4 CS a few years ago, was flat between turn-in for T1 and braking at the Bus Stop. But he worked his way incrementally to doing that.

Same kind of work to do Road Atlanta T12...

I think “flat” is overrated. That’s not where the real improvements in lap time come from, anyway. But it makes for good Seneca Lodge bar talk!
Old 04-30-2018, 07:20 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
Learning race car driving is like most other skilled trades...often you got to go to school for it. OP is best served by getting a coach.
OP tracks 1/yr but starts 1-2 threads per month in this section. Go figure.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

So do I!

In this case, he DID need to pause in his acceleration at and just past the direction change into T3 due to the fact that this car has NO wings, splitters, canards or anything other than a small, short ducktail on the engine lid.

He needed to pitch forward to weight the nose and begin the direction change, as the road leveled out and the car unloaded (lost front grip). Once it began the change in direction, he was right back to the quick progression to WOT and got a good exit over the tunnel. A lot of relatively heavy street cars need to do this, especially on treaded tires.

My friend and client, on his way to winning the Masters class in GT4 CS a few years ago, was flat between turn-in for T1 and braking at the Bus Stop. But he worked his way incrementally to doing that.

Same kind of work to do Road Atlanta T12...

I think “flat” is overrated. That’s not where the real improvements in lap time come from, anyway. But it makes for good Seneca Lodge bar talk!
Your last two sentences are spot on, my friend.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 05-01-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You last two sentences are spot on, my friend.
You've been there. You know.

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-01-2018, 07:53 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Still not sure about the answer to my question....
  1. You're driving down the straight at 100+
  2. You're in 4th gear, and need to shift down to 3rd.
  3. You do not yet know how to heel/toe, and you will not be learning it in the next 2 seconds, either.
At this moment in time, what is the right move:

Option A: Brakes on. Clutch down. Shift to 3rd. Clutch up. Brakes off. Turn in.
Option B: Brakes on. Clutch down. Shift to 3rd. Brakes off to blip throttle for rev match. Clutch up. Turn in. (This entails releasing the brake earlier, and reducing braking time)
Old 05-01-2018, 08:00 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

At this level of development where this question is of genuine interest just release the clutch pedal slowly to avoid locking the drive wheels and let the synchro do its job.

So I guess A.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

You've been there. You know.

In
Deed
Old 05-01-2018, 02:04 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
  3. You do not yet know how to heel/toe, and you will not be learning it in the next 2 seconds, either.

Option B: Brakes on. Clutch down. Shift to 3rd. Brakes off to blip throttle for rev match. Clutch up. Turn in. (This entails releasing the brake earlier, and reducing braking time)
I don't think you would be better off abruptly releasing the brake (option B)...

For early DE, the answer is simple: brake in a straight line, then shift, then turn (option A, without overlapping brake and clutch)...

To advance without heal toe the end result (blending inputs) is the same. You can still blend braking-turning but when you shift you now have to blend in pulling up the engine RPM. Knowing the last step takes some traction, you will need to bleed off the brakes even more. It will be a delicate balancing act of bleeding off the brakes as you slowly let the clutch out, then squeezing back on as the motor starts to come up to speed.. I'm not sure I could do it effectively.

Last edited by jscott82; 05-01-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:55 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

With all due respect, here's evidence that that is NOT the case, if done properly and well.

915 gearbox, 3.0-liter carbureted engine, no ABS, R7 Hoosiers. Listen and weep, or learn...

https://youtu.be/p9qY-SipYtA
A modern Cayman based car in the same class is way easier to drive, you emphasize my point exactly
BTW, Why didn't the guy in the video run A-7's, he'd go faster
Old 05-01-2018, 03:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911ted
A modern Cayman based car in the same class is way easier to drive, you emphasize my point exactly
BTW, Why didn't the guy in the video run A-7's, he'd go faster
Hahaha! Um, no. Not the same class. This car is a forty-five year old, air-cooled relic.

Not even close to a modern car. Not even close to PCA GT4 spec... With a PDK-equipped Cayman, you wouldn't get the chance to master this vanishing technique! Besides, I hear no lockup, no see-saw effect from inconsistent brake pressure. It can be done, and done well.

These old cars move around underneath you, they require lots of concentration, they're fun. And they race against other old cars, not modern cars. At this level of driving, the difference would be minimal between A7's and R7's, anyway. That's why it's great that there's a choice.

This video demonstrates proper technique in timing, throttle, clutch release and power application. Proper brake technique without the ABS safety blanket, too. That's why it's posted here.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:01 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood

A is better because it more closely resembles what you will be doing once you learn how to heel/toe which by the way can be learned in as little as one or two sessions completely dedicated to that one task. Also B will require changing your brake zones considerably unless you want to be blipping while turning with no brakes which is bad. Unlearming that can take time. Lastly blipping with your whole foot will not exactly prepare you for blipping with the side or heel while braking at the same time. (I know because I tried it that way on the street to start). When your foot is off the brake as in option B you don't have a reference for how deep to press the throttle to Rev match. . Better off just easing off the clutch while still on brakes. You will get some extra brake wear and lose corner speed but this should only be a temporary solution.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'll just add the caveat that for most who select Option A, DO NOT DALLY in releasing the clutch.

If the downshift occurs too early (car going too fast for the lower gear), or the clutch is depressed long enough to "lose" the rpm's, then the deleterious effect of the clutch release is magnified.

Quick Reply: Do you rev match downshift (no heel/toe)