Sponsored by:

Unusual tread wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:32 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing

I am also not too familiar with the Cayman suspension. My wife has a Boxster so I can educate myself. I believe he added eibach lowering springs and set the camber at -2, which doesn’t seem too radical and I am guessing the set up is pretty common. I will take a look at it next week.
This is my brothers car. The car has Bilstein PSS9's. Left rear tire is fine, as are fronts. Very puzzling. Local dealer is presenting to Michelin rep. Not looking for, or expect anything, just trying to find out why. Not sure the MO spec tires would have that much effect given the low miles and good condition of other tires.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:36 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

As has been mentioned more than once, that tire wear is from not enough negative camber. I've seen that wear/cording pattern multiple times, including on my own tires. Multiple manufacturers so I doubt they were all manufacturing defects.

If he is fairly aggressive, he is running on outer edge of tire in the corners. Also, 32 psi hot seems low to me. Unless there's something I don't know about, the low pressure is contributing to the problem by letting the tire roll over more easily.

Primary problem is lack of negative camber for the driving style, probably exacerbated by the low cold pressures letting the tire roll more. Again, he's essentially running on tire edges in the corners. Minimum -2.5 camber based on the current results.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:45 AM
PhillyGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Was that at RTR's event at Jefferson? I was just about to comment about that tire until I saw your post (I was the RTR Safety Guy that had to tell him he couldn't keep running it). Worst part of the job...
Ha, yes!

It was so strange, it just melted. saw this thread and immediately reminded me of his tires. See you soon!

Quick Reply: Unusual tread wear