Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:20 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Proper Helmet fit?

Posted in another thread :
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
If a significantly thicker balaclava can fit while you are wearing your helmet we need to talk about how poorly your helmet fits the rest of the time.
I did not want to destroy another poster's thread....

Can you comment about proper helmet fit? I have not used an emergency inflation helmet remover. I have experimented with the stand 21 type ribbon strip helmet extractor. I also use a cool clava. So headsock, cool-clava, and helmet extractor all stack up in thickness. When the cool-clava starts working you can also feel a bit of helmet tightening or rise. What does all this stuff stacked inside your helmet do for changes in helmet safety and fit? Should anything be done in helmet selection other than bring all your stuff to the store when trying on helmets?
Old 04-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Bring it all to the store when you try it on. You would be amazed at how badly many peoples helmets fit them. I sold a helmet to a guy who has won the season championship in GrandAm and the one that was be replaced was easily 2 sizes too big. He never really knew how they were supposed to fit.

A good fit around the crown of the head is of course key. Then there is the cheek area. Some helmets have the interchangeable cheek pads which are awesome.

The inflator never changed a fit or feel for me. It was think and in a spot of the helmet that wasn't super snug for me.

Currently, my helmet fits perfect with the nicest Alpinstars balaclava. The other ones that are slightly thicker would give me a headache if I had the helmet on for about an hour.

I haven't used the cool a clava. It's a nice idea but even in the SE, I was perfectly find with my traqgear cool shirt so never needed to go for the head part. I always wondered how it affected fit for some people.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:39 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

You would be amazed at how badly many peoples helmets fit them. I sold a helmet to a guy who has won the season championship in GrandAm and the one that was be replaced was easily 2 sizes too big. He never really knew how they were supposed to fit.
Agreed! There are a few sites like this one where there is a healthy exchange of good information from very knowledgeable people. Often the guy in the store is just there picking up a paycheck and really does not know about helmet fit or different compromises in race seats or any number of racing issues. I have been at this sport for 2 decades and am still learning about some aspect of the sport on a near daily basis.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:05 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Bring it all to the store when you try it on. You would be amazed at how badly many peoples helmets fit them. I sold a helmet to a guy who has won the season championship in GrandAm and the one that was be replaced was easily 2 sizes too big. He never really knew how they were supposed to fit.
Agreed. And it's not always the store attendants fault either. When I used to sell motorcycle helmets, the standard response from the average male was "I need and XL" (like buying condoms), so I'd automatically hand then 1-2 sizes smaller without telling them (because there was no way they were going to let me measure their head!). I'd hazard a guess that 75% of helmets out there are poorly fitted to their users.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:25 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Im not a fit expert, so I really appreciated the fitting I got on my Stand21. The guy who designed my helmet was the one who fit me. It took about 30 minutes and included top, front, back, side, and cheek pads. I know I sing their praises, but they are a great company and I feel they really care about my safety.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:51 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Im not a fit expert, so I really appreciated the fitting I got on my Stand21. The guy who designed my helmet was the one who fit me. It took about 30 minutes and included top, front, back, side, and cheek pads. I know I sing their praises, but they are a great company and I feel they really care about my safety.
That's great! I have never had that kind of attention. Just learning what a pro looks for is invaluable. I bought my Stand21 from a Stand21 reseller and mostly fit the helmet myself off the shelf. That's the way I thought it was done like buying shoes. That Stand 21 had little things fall off it despite being the most expensive helmet around with the best reputation after a shuberth or so I thought. But I think there are custom Stand21's and I guess those are 10 times better? I also had a Simpson right here in Torrance California where I think Simpson started? They were no better than the Stand21 guys and they were the factory. I always buy a new helmet when the spec changes. I was surprised at how long after the spec came out that I had to wait until I could get a new spec helmet even from Simpson. Now I have a Stilo self fit again and I guess maybe lucky enough to not test any of my helmets or their fit. I take my safety seriously. I race a tin-top with visor down and secure. I'd like to find a shop (losAngeles/orange county) really into fitting helmets to learn what I am missing.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:05 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

We have some fitment information on our website (taken courtesty of BELL Helmets) that offers some great fitment information. Size charts are at the top for the various brands we sell, fitment tests are below - you would be surprised at how a large in one brand will fit different than a large in another brand. It really pays to bring your equipment with you (if you have that luxury of having a helmet dealer near you).

https://apexperformance.net/helmet-size-chart/

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 04-20-2018, 02:17 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Helmet fitting is getting ready to go to the next level.

For years the helmet manufacturers have provided their sponsored athletes custom fitted liners. Bell recently announced it is going to provide this service to the general public. Once one brand offers this, others will follow.

I don't know all the details, but it involves a 3D scan of the customers head then produce a helmet specifically for that person. Once this program is up and running, you'll be able to go to your local dealer, put on your balaclava, cooling pad or whatever and have a helmet produced that fits perfectly.

I wear an off-the-rack helmet now and while I was able to get a good, comfortable fit by swapping various pads, it is no where near as comfortable as the custom made helmets I have had. Those helmets fit so well, you almost forget you have it on.

Of course one problem I can see is the availability of a participating dealer to do the scan, so this option may require travel for the fitting.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Ditto ! I am on my 3rd Stand21 helmet. Current one is an FIA8830 and it's no larger or heavier than a regular Snell. And the fit is stellar
Old 04-20-2018, 06:45 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Agreed. And it's not always the store attendants fault either. When I used to sell motorcycle helmets, the standard response from the average male was "I need and XL" (like buying condoms), so I'd automatically hand then 1-2 sizes smaller without telling them (because there was no way they were going to let me measure their head!). I'd hazard a guess that 75% of helmets out there are poorly fitted to their users.
Too funny - I'm a medium helmet (and sometimes even small) guy. 6'1" 190lbs with XXL gloves - who would've figured. I would have also figured that the graphic on the helmet was a determining factor in purchasing regardless of fit for many motorcycle riders (although I AM a motorcycle rider too....)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've seen the same. When people don't know any better they choose whichever helmet doesn't squish their cheeks. Plenty of people go buy the carbon fiber helmet because it's carbon fiber, or they buy something with graphics just to be cool, but they don't often pay attention to weight. Even the ones who understand fit don't often think any further. Very few think to "test" the helmet for more than a minute or two. It could take 10-20 minutes for pressure points to start causing a headache or migraine. Test the helmet for a length of time appropriate for your use. I've also seen people skimp on features for cost. Not everyone has money to burn (why I don't own a Stand21 or Schuberth helmet), but spending an extra $50 or $100 to get a wider eye port or more vents for air flow can significantly improve the helmet-wearing experience.

Quick Reply: Proper Helmet fit?