Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road atlanta onboard footage

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:05 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

I raced there this weekend. If you saw the yellow, there is no excuse whatsoever for not slowing down. Otherwise, you dont belong in club racing!
Old 04-09-2018, 10:29 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Should have been an immediate double yellow and/or black flag. Red would have been best option.
ridiculous situation with that car disabled sitting where it was.
shouldn't have taken a second hit to stop the racing.
This one is on the track.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
I raced there this weekend. If you saw the yellow, there is no excuse whatsoever for not slowing down. Otherwise, you dont belong in club racing!
So me, clark, dan martinson and what 10 other drivers shouldnt race PCA anymore?

Come on.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Should have been an immediate double yellow and/or black flag. Red would have been best option.
ridiculous situation with that car disabled sitting where it was.
shouldn't have taken a second hit to stop the racing.
This one is on the track.

Who makes the call to go double yellow in PCA? Is it the track corner workers or is it the lead race director for the weekend? Not asking these questions to create an argument but asking for the information so the conversation can be constructive.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:14 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

If you are saying that you are ignoring yellow flags..absolutely!! Is there anything to discuss there? You just said in your post that your saw the waving yellow and ignored it..unless you mis-stated what you intended to say and I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt there.

I cant speak for any other drivers because they haven’t said on an open forum that they ignored yellow flags.

I also agree that the track could have done a lot more. The guy in the yellow car is a friend of mine and I have been at the receiving end of people ignoring yellows too.

I know we need to race hard but this is still amateur racing and safety paramount!!
Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Also, read what Seth Thomas said in his first post...”weaving yellow means caution and slow down.” He is a professional driver.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:43 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes. What Seth said.

Ignoring a waving yellow flag is serious, and over the past Atlanta weekend and others, people have ignored all kinds of flags, passing under double yellows (with obviously serious clean up going on and additional white flags) -- and even ignoring waving blacks when the corner workers get frustrated after people miss the stationary black flag all. This has been an issue since I was a rookie, and our race at the Bridge was completely cancelled due to this behavior, in which a full speed race car almost hit a rescue vehicle. Having been hit hard under a red flag myself in NASA when I was halfway off the track (with the driver involved just 15 yards ahead, jumping out of the car due to fire), this is something that is long overdue for addressing by race organizers.

And for a companion thought, it is a myth that you can fix passing under yellow later as a deterrent; it is often hard to detect in timing and scoring, based on circumstances. So something proactively needs to be done, rather than standard morning meetings or looking at it later. Perhaps class representatives for each model, someone who is out there racing and knows what is going on. He or she can act as a informal leader on these matters.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
I saw it but since it wasnt a huge fast waiving yellow or black or red flag, i though it was just someone off track and not a major crash like this one. My crew didnt call it to me too, it didnt help.

Green flag in corner 1 after that...
The flag appears to waiving quickly enough to warrant caution, especially on a completely blind turn!
Old 04-09-2018, 12:29 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Yup, yellow and debris.
should have been red .
Old 04-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't know how long it was from the wreck to the video above, but Race Control had a clear view of the incident and would not have had to rely on a corner worker calling it in. Thus, you would expect that the situation would have been brought under control quickly. In watching the video again, it appears that the corner worker in 10A is starting to deploy a yellow at that station. How quickly did the track go from the waiving yellow to double yellow?

Last edited by Lemming; 04-09-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Yup, yellow and debris.
should have been red .
Since I wasn't there for this moment but what was the debris and yellow for? Was it for the spun car or was there something on the track that caused the yellow car to spin with this being the flag for the debris? Again not trying to be argumentative but trying to gather all information I can before making any kind of conclusion. Also my thoughts (which we know are worth $.02 in the heat of racing) when I see or respond to a thread like this on Rennlist are not to start a bashing or argument with anyone on here but attempt to be constructive to everyone on here since everyone reading this thread can benefit in the future from the information here.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:05 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

​​​​​​​Yes plead your case for better warning systems. By all means, look ahead and consider scenarios, but would it be better to prioritize safety for one brief moment before prioritizing one's racing position? Not sure what would work (lights, red flag), now that I have seen all the ignoring of flags and incidents in favor of gaining a spot or not losing ground to someone. It was really bad at Atlanta. We even had a pass in pit lane in the driving lane, a swerve by the pit lane offender across someone else's box, and a crew member having to take evasive action.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 872 Posts

For what it's worth, the first thing I saw in the video was the aggressively waving flag...well before the camera car went down the hill towards the incident. Regardless of what flag "should " have been there based on individual opinion, every racer passing it SHOULD have heeded it. Basic Flags 101 from beginner DE days, folks.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Since I wasn't there for this moment but what was the debris and yellow for? Was it for the spun car or was there something on the track that caused the yellow car to spin with this being the flag for the debris?.
I was there. There were also car parts and fluids on track from the initial crash.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:09 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by esscape26
We even had a pass in pit lane in the driving lane, a swerve by the pit lane offender across someone else's box, and a crew member having to take evasive action.
Bring it to the attention of a Scrut next time. That's what we are there for. I felt that overall everybody was relatively well behaved and courteous in the pits during the Enduros.

Quick Reply: Road atlanta onboard footage