Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track brake pads - PFC 08 or DTC-70?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I think you'll enjoy your Forodo choice...my brother runs them in his RX-7 and he's been through about every pad possible on that thing and they are the clear winner for him...he can't get 08's for his application though.

Personally you can't go wrong with any of the pads you mention. I'm surprised you didn't find much of a delta in the price with hawk's as in my experience they are generally much cheaper than the PFC or Forodo alternatives. I ran Hawks forever on my car and only switched because my wife bought me a set of 08's for my b-day one year. The hawks have much more initial bite...so much so that I had to adjust my braking style when I first went to them. I never really had an issue with the hawks but after feeling the modulation difference with the 08's it better fit my advancing skills on the track. Still not sure in the long run they are worth the extra $$$ over the hawks but sometimes you just stick with what you know and are happy with and that's my experience withe 08's...and they last forever.

After reading about the higher initial bite of the DS1.11 I'm not sure it'd be a good fit for me. I've never experience the dropoff in feel or performance with the 08's that others have described but I did distinctively feel that with DTC's when I got them really hot. Maybe I just need to drive the 08's harder :-)

Bottom line is you're good with what you got..you'd be good with any of the pads on your list. Figure out what is the best fit for you and stick with them...until the next best thing hits the market!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:32 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've used both the PFC 08 and DTC-70 on my 997.1 GT3. I found the DTC-70 to be more aggressive with more initial "bite". However, the PFC 08 was easier to modulate. I now use the DTC-60, which seems closer to the PFC 08 in terms of modulation. FWIW I found all these pads to be relatively quiet (no squeal) once bedded in, if that matters to you. I'm using the two-piece slotted StopTech rotors.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I think you'll enjoy your Forodo choice...my brother runs them in his RX-7 and he's been through about every pad possible on that thing and they are the clear winner for him...he can't get 08's for his application though.

Personally you can't go wrong with any of the pads you mention. I'm surprised you didn't find much of a delta in the price with hawk's as in my experience they are generally much cheaper than the PFC or Forodo alternatives. I ran Hawks forever on my car and only switched because my wife bought me a set of 08's for my b-day one year. The hawks have much more initial bite...so much so that I had to adjust my braking style when I first went to them. I never really had an issue with the hawks but after feeling the modulation difference with the 08's it better fit my advancing skills on the track. Still not sure in the long run they are worth the extra $$$ over the hawks but sometimes you just stick with what you know and are happy with and that's my experience withe 08's...and they last forever.

After reading about the higher initial bite of the DS1.11 I'm not sure it'd be a good fit for me. I've never experience the dropoff in feel or performance with the 08's that others have described but I did distinctively feel that with DTC's when I got them really hot. Maybe I just need to drive the 08's harder :-)

Bottom line is you're good with what you got..you'd be good with any of the pads on your list. Figure out what is the best fit for you and stick with them...until the next best thing hits the market!
Agreed. I'm thinking about trying a set of the RS1 pads for the GT3, they list their Mu as ~.4. Given what the graph shows for DS1.11 bite, it def. feels like the 08 has a lower initial torque, then a slightly large ramp up in friction as the pad gets heat into it, but still also easier on release. This seems to indicate that even the maximum torque from 08 is less than DS1.11, and why the release is also so much more abrupt on DS1.11. When you have to more delicately balance the nose of a 911 on the brakes, I just much prefer ultimate control over bite and friction.

I'm splitting hairs though, the DS1.11 is a great pad, I just think its better suited for front or mid engine cars where trail braking is less important. Also, on street cars with "street" ABS systems, I think the slightly less initial bite and torque just work better with how we tend to brake. Given the RS1 pads were developed in Conti ST/GS using Porsche-specific street based ABS, I am hopeful they will give the kind of modulation I'm after.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

PFC11 = DTC70 (not PFC-08)
Old 03-31-2018, 10:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Great thread and interesting to read everyone’s likes and dislikes.

On my 2017 GTS 991.2 I tried Ferodo ds2500 which didn’t work well at all,on the track....then tried the ds1.11 which felt great on the track but didn’t last long and transfer a lot of heat to the caliper. The pad material seemed thinner than what I see on Pagid RS29 Yellows for example. So I got a set of Yellows and will try them on this car. I’m use to Pagid from my 997 cars so I will see soon how they compare to the ds1.11 Ferodo pads.

PFC makes nothing for my car...for the rear caliper.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:28 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Trying out Pagid’s RSL1 endurance compound in 4 days (want to know how many hours? ��). If you believe their own charts it’s a nice increase in all the good things without any real sacrifice to disk wear or modulation compared to the older yellow compound (RS-29). We will see!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:21 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 754 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
PFC11 = DTC70 (not PFC-08)
correct.
PFC guys are trying to convince me to use 11’s vs the DTC70’s I use. PFC are surprisingly cheaper, so I might try for research purposes and be able to give honest advice when asked. We carry both, plus Pagid.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-02-2018, 12:03 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why does no one use Hawk blues? They've been around forever. Cheap. Not too touchy. Don't fade.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by gtred
Why does no one use Hawk blues? They've been around forever. Cheap. Not too touchy. Don't fade.
Not aggressive enough for heavy track use both in bite and operational temp range.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:23 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 754 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by gtred
I used them forever until the car got faster and needed more aggressive pads. It’s the SCCA miata and rx7/8 pad of choice.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:00 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Raybestos ST-43 pads, Sebro rotors and GS 610 Brake Fluid gets me through the three days of the upcoming CFOS @ the Fontana Roval, The 90 degree turn 3 off the speedway banking is one of the big time braking turns here in the Southwest.

Quick Reply: Track brake pads - PFC 08 or DTC-70?