Sponsored by:

Bob Woodman Tires out...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 02:15 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Just to be the contrarian...

I think its a great thing that Hoosier wants to work directly with us. I'm exited to have them at the track.

If they screwed over BW that's not good, but that's between the two organizations.. If we can continue to buy from BW and have them shipped to the track for Hoosier to support, sounds like a win-win for all.

AND
If its the threat of Hankook coming next year that is causing Hoosier to step up their game with direct (better ??) support, that is a shame. But, just like racing, competition is good it improves the breed.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:55 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
^ Well that just blows.

I just talked to Woodman and will be ordering all my tires from them to drop ship at races this season. They deserve ongoing support.

I'm going to hold my nose to run Hoosier this year (per our class rules) and hope that Hankook replaces them for 2019.
I'm on vacation and haven't been checking my email. I'm glad I did today. I get home on Sunday and I was planning to leave for Road Atlanta at 7:00 am Monday morning. That doesn't really leave any time to get tires mounted locally so if they don't find a support vendor for Toyos, I've got a real problem. I guess if I can get them shipped to the track earlier in the week I might be able to find someone to mount them locally but I've been trying to call Woodman and I just keep getting voice mail.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:09 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll bet a $1 you roll up to the Hoosier guys at the track with 4 toyos and ask them to mount and balance and they take your money!
Old 03-27-2018, 03:57 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993944S2
I'll bet a $1 you roll up to the Hoosier guys at the track with 4 toyos and ask them to mount and balance and they take your money!
Probably, but I don't really want to take the chance if I can avoid it.

Does anybody know if Woodman is discontinuing support altogether or just for PCA races? They have the DMTD at RA on their schedule but Audrey told me three weeks ago that they were only planning to be there for the race.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:19 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Woodman has been fantastic. Very disappointed to hear about this.

Scott: call John Harris 1-865-681-6622 from Appalachian Tire. Their web site shows they sell Toyo tires so mounting yours should not be an issue.
Looks like they will be there Fri & Sat:& Sun am: http://racetire.com/events/scca-summitt-point-2/

From ClubReg for RA:

Trackside support contact name: John Harris
Hoosier Tire South Road & Drag a.k.a Appalachian Tire
PO Box 6080
Maryville TN 37802
1-865-681-6622
www.racetire.com

Last edited by M_Weining; 03-27-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: add Fri & Sat info
Old 03-27-2018, 05:01 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M_Weining
Woodman has been fantastic. Very disappointed to hear about this.

Scott: call John Harris 1-865-681-6622 from Appalachian Tire. Their web site shows they sell Toyo tires so mounting yours should not be an issue.
Looks like they will be there Fri & Sat:& Sun am: http://racetire.com/events/scca-summitt-point-2/

From ClubReg for RA:

Trackside support contact name: John Harris
Hoosier Tire South Road & Drag a.k.a Appalachian Tire
PO Box 6080
Maryville TN 37802
1-865-681-6622
www.racetire.com

Great! Thanks Mark, I'll give them a call.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:55 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 754 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Just to be the contrarian...

I think its a great thing that Hoosier wants to work directly with us. I'm exited to have them at the track.

If they screwed over BW that's not good, but that's between the two organizations.. If we can continue to buy from BW and have them shipped to the track for Hoosier to support, sounds like a win-win for all.

AND
If its the threat of Hankook coming next year that is causing Hoosier to step up their game with direct (better ??) support, that is a shame. But, just like racing, competition is good it improves the breed.
I can’t disagree with you more on this Jeff
I know you value customer service, and since you haven’t been to the track and needed them, you don't realize the value they bring. Bob, Audrey and crew are not just suppliers, they are like PCA family. Bob’s been a long time PCA member, racer and supporter. And like I said above, they always went out of their way to help....everyone..Like most others I’m sure, I could just call up and they’d always say. “Hey Bob, which car you need another set for?” And “where you racing?” I’d tell them what car and where and they’d just say “ok, tires will be there”.
No asking what size, no 20 questions. Simple, easy. Even if last minute. Then when you got there, always got s hug from Audrey, all the guys knew us, etc.

Hopefully App Tire will create that same sense of family, or at least provide the same level of customer service.

Last edited by NaroEscape; 03-30-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-27-2018, 06:49 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

This is a damned shame. There has never been a time where Woodman let me down. Ever. Ever ever. Never did they not have my tires. Never did they not get my tires mounted even when I asked them to do the extraordinary.

Damned shame.

Now the big question is what happens to the Toyo credit I have? It's a big one.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,891 Posts

I miss Bob and Audrey already... ;(
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-27-2018, 08:09 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I miss Bob and Audrey already... ;(

Me too but she is a newlywed and I'd say she's earned her weekends off for a while. I wish her the best.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:49 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 704 Likes on 339 Posts

Got this yesterday from HSR I believe Woodman was the title sponsor for this race in the past, not a good sign
Rich

CLEARWATER, Florida (March 27, 2018) - Officials from Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR) and SascoSports, a premier race tire dealer and historic and vintage racing preparation and restoration shop in the U.S., announced today that SascoSports has become the new title sponsor of the SascoSports International/American Challenge, one of the most popular showcase races held on the majority of HSR race event weekends.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:16 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Got this yesterday from HSR I believe Woodman was the title sponsor for this race in the past, not a good sign
Rich
I was going to comment on that Rich. The official schedule for The Mitty still shows Bob in there.

Good guy, good racer!
Old 03-28-2018, 09:39 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Both Woodman and Sasco have a long history in historic racing. Longer than in PCA (considering Alan Friedman raced historic and took the predominant rules from historic to start PCA Club Racing). Both are great folks, for sure.

Bottom line is it sounds like Bob is stepping back from trackside support and Hoosier may have provided the impetus for that. Sasco has a heck of a historic racing attendance footprint and will help fill the void for events that overlap historic races, too, like IGT and other events like the Classic 24 and the Classic 12.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 151 Posts

Sorry to see Bob Woodman Tire will no longer be at PCA races. Great folks and always went the extra mile for us racers.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:00 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,430 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Woodman was so easy to deal with. Reserve your tires, buy them if you wanted to, mounted pretty quickly. What a great deal! But perhaps, as someone else pointed out, there are not huge margins in the tire business and it got to be too much. Being on the road all the time is a lifestyle and perhaps it was grinding on them.

I am sorry to see them go.

Quick Reply: Bob Woodman Tires out...?