The Official 2018 F1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 09:59 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dogger15

Agreed.

The pre-race show was the perfect start for the kind of coverage it looks we're going to get with this cheaped out TV package. Maybe Liberty will spend some of the money saved on more grid girls - woops, screwed that up too. I also miss the post race corral interviews, the tech segments and all the other bits missing now.

Over the years, the video coverage has always been provided by the F1 feed with commentary added off site. I think NBC Sports only covered Three events while on site in 2017. What Liberty has done is contract with ESPN to broadcast the European oriented Sky Sport feed as is, doing away with the extra cost of a dedicated U.S. oriented commentary crew. As a result, we get metric weather info on the graphics (how many American F1 fans know that 8 m/s is windy), surprise commercial breaks with no recap or explanation on what happened when coverage resumes and a poor viewing experience in general.

This mess can be easily fixed if the tight wads at Liberty would part with some money to re-institute a U.S. based commentary crew using the F1 feed.

Maybe if enough fans voice their displeasure, changes will be made.

The race itself was a typical opening round on a no passing style track. Unfortunately the outcome was dictated by the decision to use the VSC in an actual pace car situation (which Charlie figured out after the damage had been done), and luck instead of the better car/driver on track.

Hopefully, Bahrain will be better.
+1000

A big step back from NBC. I miss that crew, especially Hobbs
Old 03-25-2018, 10:30 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
DITTO.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:20 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Class.
View this post on Instagram

Old 03-26-2018, 12:07 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

post here please.
what a sh!tshow.

The Formula 1 email address I could find to give them some "feedback" is: general@en.formula1.com

I assume if you are not in English speaking country the "en" would be replaced by whatever.

15 minutes after I sent the email I got this reply:

Hi there
Thanks for getting in touch. We’ve got your email, and will get back to you in the next 24 hours. If you need to get in touch before then, please quote your reference number (XXXX).
Need help in the meantime? Check out our FAQs.
Thanks
The Team at F1
Old 03-26-2018, 12:15 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

I know most here likes NBC crew but I thought they were pretty ordinary. They couldn’t give any meaningful technical insights in to the cars because they are in the US and out of the loop. Brundle and DiResta and co are more on the ball with what is going on. You could see that in the way Brundle covered the Qualy. Anyway, ESPN switchover sucked, I cant wait for OTT to arrive!
Old 03-26-2018, 12:26 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

They're listening, or at least their PR dept. is.
http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...chnical-issues

Old 03-26-2018, 12:28 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
I know most here likes NBC crew but I thought they were pretty ordinary. They couldn’t give any meaningful technical insights in to the cars because they are in the US and out of the loop. Brundle and DiResta and co are more on the ball with what is going on. You could see that in the way Brundle covered the Qualy. Anyway, ESPN switchover sucked, I cant wait for OTT to arrive!
Buxton was boots on the ground at all races for NBCSN. Scottish accents are very difficult to understand for my ear when speaking at the rate DiResta was. But hey, I'm on old okie and some people say they can't understand me . One thing that didn't change is the mix of volume between the car/track sound and the announcers. Announcer's volume too low compared to car/track, same as NBCSN was for sure last year and year before I think. Having said that, I'd prefer if the announcers hardly said anything and instead I get nothing but in car camera/audio for 80% of the air time, only switch to helicopter or trackside cameras when overtaking is imminent or occurred (replay). Rare for an announcing crew to stay silent for 1 whole lap during a race when the in car view is on. NBCSN did it a few times last year during races. Glorious, IMO. Shut up and put me in the cockpit view out. Agreed that the halo somewhat ruins the over the shoulder view. All the blah, blah, blah is better for pre-race and post-race shows or during practice. During qualifying or race, let me hear the cars and crew/driver radio, that's it.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,868 Likes on 968 Posts

Am I the only one that didn’t think HD looked HD? Either way, a Mickey Mouse start from what’s supposed to be a top-tier sports media company. Hope they do better with the next race.

Oh, and the halo system looks hideous and does nothing to prevent drivers from a Massa-type event. Why they didn’t go with a nice clean reinforced windscreen I still don’t understand. Between the halo and shark fin the cars now look more unappealing than ever. Cold comfort but at least they sound a little better.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:09 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

We get SKY coverage here, and other than annoying commercial timing (at least we get picture in picture), I think their team is great.

Martin Brundle and Damon Hill know what they are talking about and give tremendous insight over the course of the event - we get full Practice 2 on Fridays as well each event, and with the pre-quali and pre-race shows, there's a ton of detail. You also get first name access to the team principals, which is very difficult to do if you are not local and plugged in as they are.

Never had an issue with the 'accents', which I am sure they would call "English"

Don't like the look of the halos, but whatever, glad to be watching a new season where the pace in the top 3 teams MAY in fact be closer this year. Who knows...

Very optimistic for HAAS as well. And glad to see McLaren moving up the order...

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,365 Likes on 2,484 Posts

Agreed with others that ESPN did a crappy job compared to NBC. Feels like a big budget cut dropped quality across the board. I like F1 to have a sense of grandeur, and ESPN managed to make it look cheap. Somehow, they even made the drivers look smaller and poorer.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:21 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 172 Posts

It says something that the free YouTube stream of the Battery Tender series (featuring Todd Lamb and Michael Globe) was more enjoyable of a production than ESPN and F1.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:14 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Never had an issue with the 'accents', which I am sure they would call "English"
I have no problem understanding the Brits, I worked for a British company for 5 years and developed my interpreting skills, but a fast-talking Scottish accent is something I don't yet have skills for.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:13 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Radio transmissions from yesterday's race and of course, more of Kimi being Kimi

Old 03-26-2018, 04:32 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Oh, and the halo system looks hideous and does nothing to prevent drivers from a Massa-type event. Why they didn’t go with a nice clean reinforced windscreen I still don’t understand. Between the halo and shark fin the cars now look more unappealing than ever. Cold comfort but at least they sound a little better.
The halo on the Sauber looked like a toilet seat that got stuck halfway down.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
I have no problem understanding the Brits, I worked for a British company for 5 years and developed my interpreting skills, but a fast-talking Scottish accent is something I don't yet have skills for.
Just a little levity... all in good fun!

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply: The Official 2018 F1 Thread