Tire pressure to/from the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Tire pressure to/from the track

I track Nitto NT-01 and while on the track I aim for 32F and 33R
I drive to/from the track on these tires and what tire pressure should they have while driven on public roads?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:35 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

40psi maximize gas mileage, and take a load off the tire edges.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:55 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Wouldn't running high pressure minimize contact patch and therefore cause MORE edge wear if you run decent camber? If running <=30 psi the weight would be spread out more from edge to center, but running high pressure seems like it would make the contact patch very small (which if running track camber, would basically mean you would be mainly on-edge going straight). Could be wrong, but that's how I think of it.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:00 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

When I drive my NT-01 on the street I like to run a little high, 38R/36F (Boxster) my theory is that the inner 3rd and the center 3rd will bear most of the load and not run on the outer edge. I've only done it a few times, they are so noisy it makes me think something is wrong. For comparison, the Maxxis RC-1 rides more quietly on the street, closer to something like a Hankook R-S3/4, which in turn is more noisy than a quality "regular" summer tire. What is really tricky is airing back up after running at the track all day, you have to add quite a bit in... I keep track of my hot bleeds throughout the day and use that as a guide.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:13 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
40psi maximize gas mileage, and take a load off the tire edges.
upvote for this.... I run OPs pressures on track and run 40+ to get there on the NT01s.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:34 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

I was always taught to put the factory pressures on tires for street use. If you the manual says 32-36 or whatever, that's the street pressure to use for dot-R tires. That's what we always did when running sport cups and nt01 's on the street.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:29 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
I was always taught to put the factory pressures on tires for street use. If you the manual says 32-36 or whatever, that's the street pressure to use for dot-R tires. That's what we always did when running sport cups and nt01 's on the street.
+1

Gary
Old 03-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 Street pressures to track. New Cup 2's surprising low pressure on track to start. Bleed down.... Can't help myself- Mark will tell you what RPM
Old 03-20-2018, 05:30 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Wouldn't running high pressure minimize contact patch and therefore cause MORE edge wear if you run decent camber? If running <=30 psi the weight would be spread out more from edge to center, but running high pressure seems like it would make the contact patch very small (which if running track camber, would basically mean you would be mainly on-edge going straight). Could be wrong, but that's how I think of it.
well, this depends on how much camber you have . with extreme camber this would be the case, but normal street track camber, it will save the edges and spread more wear into an area that isnt used on the track as much.

Originally Posted by nwGTS
upvote for this.... I run OPs pressures on track and run 40+ to get there on the NT01s.
yep.. its good all the way around

Originally Posted by mhm993
I was always taught to put the factory pressures on tires for street use. If you the manual says
32-36 or whatever, that's the street pressure to use for dot-R tires. That's what we always did when running sport cups and nt01 's on the street.
most tires have recommended pressures based on their design, not what the car company recommends for thier spec'ed tire..

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
+1 Street pressures to track. New Cup 2's surprising low pressure on track to start. Bleed down.... Can't help myself- Mark will tell you what RPM
not too high , not too low... just right(RPM to the track).
Old 03-20-2018, 05:56 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
well, this depends on how much camber you have . with extreme camber this would be the case, but normal street track camber, it will save the edges and spread more wear into an area that isnt used on the track as much.
Interesting. I am at -2.6 or so, going to -3.0, with zero toe. Would it need more than that to suffer adversely from high tire pressure? In my head it seems leaned over enough going straight to be on-edge at high PSI, but who knows.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Interesting. I am at -2.6 or so, going to -3.0, with zero toe. Would it need more than that to suffer adversely from high tire pressure? In my head it seems leaned over enough going straight to be on-edge at high PSI, but who knows.
if you look at my 2.5 degree rear tires, you see the contact patch leaves a distinct wear pattern, leaving about 1" of the inside edge and about 1/2" off the outside edge. (on a 305 or 315 tire) when you use a tire on the track, the g loading allows a lot of tire movement as you can see from some video i posted a while ago. when you go to and from the track, that wear pattern will change more toward the center, usually in areas of lower wear, so that's why higher pressure is much better for wear when used on the street.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:10 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Agree. If you measure your cold pressure at the end of a track day, then you can calculate the delta between that and the proper cold pressure for the street. This eliminates any guesswork about how much pressure to bleed out when you arrive at the track next time, and how much you should add back for the drive home.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure to/from the track