PCA Zone 2 VIR DE

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
See, this is why I wanted to meet you........
Old 03-21-2018, 03:55 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
I was right behind you when your car died. I wondered why I gave you a pass and then got it right back. Sorry about the mechanical. Don't see too many 928s.

Were you in the maroon vette that went off? My student and I were right behind you when that happened. That was bad.
One and the same! Could not believe my {bad]luck that weekend. Still had a ball!

Originally Posted by dgrobs
That Vette sustained some significant damage, if that was the car you were referring to. He was parked near us in the paddock and when we spoke to him about the off, he said he put it in the wall at 4, the slowest corner on the track. Was wondering how he went off so hard at that turn. Now I know (if that was the same car).
Glad everyone was alright and no injuries were reported, besides the car itself. Glad you're ok. I know a few folks who were on slicks that sat out their first session of the day because of those chilly temps. Lesson learned indeed.
Glad you and your student are ok. That's what's important.
Yep! That was it. I told him before we went out that it was going to be slippery. Take it slow until he got heat in the tires. He had shown me that he knows how to drive and "catch' the car. We were going to work on braking and possibly some heel toe. But that 427 of his was a bit too much for the conditions. To be fair though, he did not induce the rear to spin - that is to say, he wasn't gunning it and spinning up the back tires, per se. I almost said he was going a bit fast for that corner (given the conditions). SHould ahve spoken up. I will next time.

It was very slow-mo-esq. As we "lined up" with the 4a-4b section on the left, the car just kept rotating, but it was already too late. The left front hit the grass (wet) as he put countersteer in, but it just kept going. Once all 4 were off and the car was freely rotating, I yelled, "Both Feet IN!" as we pirouetted 180* around. I saw I was about to take the brunt of the impact, so I leaned away from the passenger door and yelled "FUDGE!" (but it wasn't Fudge) as we hit the last/first set of tires in the tire wall. 2 feet earlier and we would have hit the guardrail square - that would have REALLY hurt. It still friggen hurt though.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The 4-5 complex IS the most common area for “cold tire” (more accurately “cold brain”) incidents, particularly in DE’s.

The undulating elevation of the pavement, plus the declination in elevation fore-aft, is the “multiplier effect” causing catastrophic loss of traction.

But, it’s the loose nut behind the wheel that initiates the FIRST loss of traction (like your pit lane exit hero), THEN the physics finish the job...
Not sure when you were there last, but that corner seems different now. It's much smoother - but yeah, there is still some crown/slight elevation there. When the light is right you can see they have done some "patching" in 4a. I know this, because my old reference patch for turn-in was gone - I now use a little "dip" on the very right side. Before there was a lot of bumpiness - now it's very smooth. However, like Mid-O, I have a suspicion that the patch material is less porous. Just as we were released from the pits, it started sprinkling. Not enough for me to normally be concerned - ASSUMING the surface had not changed since my last time at VIR in the Fall. But I think it has changed particularly in 4a. And with just enough moisture sitting on top of that fresh patch... well Bu-BYE!

Loose nut comments not withstanding.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by AO
Not sure when you were there last, but that corner seems different now. It's much smoother - but yeah, there is still some crown/slight elevation there. When the light is right you can see they have done some "patching" in 4a. I know this, because my old reference patch for turn-in was gone - I now use a little "dip" on the very right side. Before there was a lot of bumpiness - now it's very smooth. However, like Mid-O, I have a suspicion that the patch material is less porous. Just as we were released from the pits, it started sprinkling. Not enough for me to normally be concerned - ASSUMING the surface had not changed since my last time at VIR in the Fall. But I think it has changed particularly in 4a. And with just enough moisture sitting on top of that fresh patch... well Bu-BYE!

Loose nut comments not withstanding.
Hahaha! Yep, I hear you. Treacherous place...

I did spend a few days there over the last two weeks, all day yesterday and will spend all day Friday there.

My training facility is on-site and I walk the track at least once a week, sometimes more, off-season. Biking it tells me a lot...

The track is in good shape and the epoxy sealer is not an impediment to mu (stick and friction). Records are still falling.

There is a declination approacing T4A, then immediately after the apex curb begins, the crown becomes as pronounced as it's ever been.

This occurs between the "new" corner numbers 4A and 4B (sorry to see the same corner number scheme for a complex going two different ways).

Big difference is the relative height of the original concrete curbing after the second repave (first one was December 2013, second one July 2015). Much friendlier now.

I've got somewhere around 14,000 laps there since September 1998. It's a cool place and I am still learning it, as we all are.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-22-2018, 05:44 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

AO: That's a cool looking 928. I spoke to you a bit in the paddock about your bearing.

I saw the vette after it happened, but did not think there was much damage. As they towed it away, we only saw the driver's side. It seemed like an odd place to end up - at least I don't recall seeing many going that far off in the past. And, yes, the wet grass is evil!

In reviewing dash cam footage of my rear-facing camera I had a few people on my tail for longer than I realized. But, also gave some really good point-bys that hopefully allowed folks to go nearly full speed around me. I'm always impressed by the power of the GT3s.

Quick Reply: PCA Zone 2 VIR DE