Default Racelogic Vbox suggestions

Does anyone use Racelogic Vbox?

Has anyone used this model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RaceLogic-V...1VcJv9&vxp=mtr
Old 03-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

What are you looking to do with it? Racelogic's Circuit Tools software is by far the best analysis package for driver improvement in my opinion. This would get you that and basic predictive lap time display on your smartphone.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:00 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking to replace my AiM Solo with it.
I realize it doesn't have a display, but that's okay. I just want to look at the data on Circuit Tools after each session.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:05 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I am a very big fan of vbox hd2, the ability to overlay data and video and look at them together in circuit tools the second you get out of the car is priceless.

haven't used this One but their products and customer service are great, I'm guessing Pro Coach will have the best anwser here
Old 03-17-2018, 04:11 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

That unit does not capture ECU data (brake, throttle, steering, rpm), it's just GPS data. You can use your iphone as a display/predictive lap timer with their app. I suspect that might change in the future given the popularity of smartphone data acquisition apps like harry's that use OBD interfaces.

It would be great if there was a big enough market to entice someone to innovate in this space with more powerful software and real-time analysis. What's available to you in the car is pretty pathetic given that it's 2018.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,327 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
That unit does not capture ECU data (brake, throttle, steering, rpm), it's just GPS data. You can use your iphone as a display/predictive lap timer with their app. I suspect that might change in the future given the popularity of smartphone data acquisition apps like harry's that use OBD interfaces.

It would be great if there was a big enough market to entice someone to innovate in this space with more powerful software and real-time analysis. What's available to you in the car is pretty pathetic given that it's 2018.
I think he has an EVO4 in the car he's capturing car info from.

I think he was looking for a straight across equivalent of the AiM Solo in Racelogic's line, which would be the VBOX Sport plus apps.

But I might be wrong.

CT2 is a heck of a lot easier to navigate than RSA, IMO.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-17-2018, 05:31 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default HD2 CT

+1 VBOX HD2 is a great solution, Circuit Tools U/I well set up and usability very good. If you want to make the effort to get CAN data it is worth it in my mind vs just GPS. Depends on what level of analysis you want and your goals.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I’ve used Circuit Tools so long (and VVB Lites, long before CAN data was available), that there is plenty there to chew on and see opportunities for improvement without CAN data, but the synced video and data is a BIG boon, and the ability to put the CAN data on the video real-time to SEE in the side by side comparisons is the best of all.

I love the fact that the Solo data is comparable to data generated by the full blown AiM MXL2, for basic measures. The same is true for the VBOX Sport compared to HD2 generated information. All good!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:35 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm told that I can't access CAN data on my '03 Corvette; that you can only do this on newer cars. Is that correct? If I were possible, then for sure I would buy a unit that could hook up to the computer and get brake and throttle info.

I'm looking to get rid of all my AiM crap, but for now I just want to try a cheaper Racelogic unit to see if I like it. Later I will likely move up to a more expensive system.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx

I'm told that I can't access CAN data on my '03 Corvette; that you can only do this on newer cars. Is that correct? If I were possible, then for sure I would buy a unit that could hook up to the computer and get brake and throttle info.

I'm looking to get rid of all my AiM crap, but for now I just want to try a cheaper Racelogic unit to see if I like it. Later I will likely move up to a more expensive system.
It's a good way to get into Vbox, you're on the right course. That is an excellent GPS unit that you can use with other programs like Harry's if you want to branch out.

Pro Coach is the guy to talk to about a Video VBOX. I know of guys who have converted MX-5 Cups (older gens) to get brake, throttle, and steering directly - so with luck you might be able to get those signals on your vette.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zzyzx

I'm told that I can't access CAN data on my '03 Corvette; that you can only do this on newer cars. Is that correct?
Correct. Try the Sport. Let me know if I can send you one.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
It's a good way to get into Vbox, you're on the right course. That is an excellent GPS unit that you can use with other programs like Harry's if you want to branch out.

Pro Coach is the guy to talk to about a Video VBOX. I know of guys who have converted MX-5 Cups (older gens) to get brake, throttle, and steering directly - so with luck you might be able to get those signals on your vette.

Thanks, man!

Actually, we've discovered a way to get info off even earlier Miatas through the MicroInput Module. Throttle and RPM, for sure.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:04 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

ProCoach, sending you a PM.

Quick Reply: Racelogic Vbox suggestions