Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's going on with AiM???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:19 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

It is fairly easy to verify the integrity of the computer hardware. You will need two programs:
  1. Memtest86 - This is available on the install disk for Arch Linux. You don't need to install Arch, just boot the Arch install disk and select memtest. It will run from the CD rom. The purpose of this program is to test the system's memory. Let it run through 5 or so loops. It will take 24 hours or so. This test doesn't even use Windows so a failure here is always HW or BIOS settings.
  2. Prime95 - Once you establish that Memtest86 passes, download Prime95 and run the stability test. Select "Blend" and let it run at least 24 hours.
If those two tests pass, it is unlikely you have a computer HW problem. Yes, it is quite possible that both your desktop and new laptop could fail the above tests - buying quality computers these days is tricky. If you pass 1 and 2 above, your HW is ok. If you do not, stop and remedy that first. I don't use a new PC or laptop without it passing 1 and 2 above.

And, as the others suggested, if Windows Defender is the only thing you are running perhaps stop running it. People reporting they don't have a problem is useful information - extending that to concluding therefore you shouldn't be isn't so useful. There is a lot of variation in PC setups. Perhaps AIM will be willing to screen share with you or maybe try capturing a video of it off your monitor?

Good luck
-Mike
Old 03-17-2018, 08:26 AM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a ton of experience with RS2 so i could be way off base here - could it be related to the files you're working with? Maybe try using files from someone else and see if it still crashes? Could be that your aim hardware (or removable SD if you're using one) could be causing this.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:07 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your responses and suggestions.

I suspect that there's a corrupted AiM file that is causing all these problems. But that's just my guess.

I emailed AiM a few days ago but have gotten no response at all so far.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Thanks for all your responses and suggestions.

I suspect that there's a corrupted AiM file that is causing all these problems. But that's just my guess.

I emailed AiM a few days ago but have gotten no response at all so far.
Normally, if there is a corrupted file, an error message would appear I would think. More likely some conflict in the string triggered when the .exe file is opened.

I know youve reinstalled, but can you Uninstall from Windows control panel, then reboot to clear the Registry, then reinstall RS3 (which includes RS2 and RSA)?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:27 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

I've been in contact with AiM's office in Lake Elsinore, CA.
They don't know why RS2 is crashing. They said they will contact a software programmer in their company.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:36 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

the files you are opening are almost certainly corrupt and to blame. thats the common thread. rs2 is not inherently unstable.

try opening the sample data from AIM includes when you install...? or pm me I’ll send u some demo data

i am switching to vbox for the video/data interface as well as the side-by-side - but not for some time as its down my list of race car needs and into the wants section.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:05 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

I'm still in contact with AiM Lake Elsinore. They still can't figure out what the issue is with their software crashing. They also can't tell me why I'm unable to uninstall RS2 off my computers.

Considering all the issues I've all with AiM, I've come to the obvious conclusion that the company has problems. They just don't have their **** together. When I first bought my EVO data logger, my dealer promised that I would be able to watch my data and video at the same time. I stipulated that I absolutely needed to be able to do this, and it's what I had been doing with my Traqmate. He knew this wasn't true, but apparently he thought AiM was just about to release a new RS capable of doing that. Two years later and they still haven't been able to provide data/video integration. That's telling.

I just bought a basic Racelogic data logger. No issues so far. Easy to use. I've gone back to using my Go Pro, which offers better video and sound quality than my Smarty Cam anyway.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:11 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm still in contact with AiM Lake Elsinore. They still can't figure out what the issue is with their software crashing. They also can't tell me why I'm unable to uninstall RS2 off my computers.

Considering all the issues I've all with AiM, I've come to the obvious conclusion that the company has problems. They just don't have their **** together. When I first bought my EVO data logger, my dealer promised that I would be able to watch my data and video at the same time. I stipulated that I absolutely needed to be able to do this, and it's what I had been doing with my Traqmate. He knew this wasn't true, but apparently he thought AiM was just about to release a new RS capable of doing that. Two years later and they still haven't been able to provide data/video integration. That's telling.

I just bought a basic Racelogic data logger. No issues so far. Easy to use. I've gone back to using my Go Pro, which offers better video and sound quality than my Smarty Cam anyway.
Complete opposite experience of what I had. Started with a Traqmate and all worked fine with GoPro's. Changed to new camera's and a flash of an upgrade to the Traqmate and it never worked right again. Reached out to the company at the the time and they didn't know why. Every time the car went over 120MPH on track it would suddenly register the car was doing 360mph for a split second and timing was all off. Changed a bunch of stuff they suggested at my cost and it never got better. Then Windows 10 and their software stopped working. Then they went out of business.

Bought an MXG and all has been great. Yes it doesn't do side by side video, but I would say that Traqmate also didn't do it very well, so I don't feel like I lost anything there. I don't use SmartyCam's so had no issue there. I use GoPro's and almost have the AIM dash turning them on and off.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Sorry you've had so much trouble, but it sounds like you have found a solution to your data problems. That is most important.

If the dealer told you something that wasn't true, that's on them, not AiM. Some dealers are more upfront, honest, and knowledgeable that others. Guys on this forum like Jerry and Peter (and I'd like to think myself) are the cream of the crop.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:24 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AiM-EV4-dat...m/222902036644

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AiM-Solo/222901978347
Old 04-30-2018, 07:06 PM
Michu
3rd Gear

Default Aim solo dl2 and smartycam

Hello, I am very new to this forum. I am looking to purchase Aim solo dl2 with smarty cam and ecu intergration. Any sponsors on the forum that sell them? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by Michu
Hello, I am very new to this forum. I am looking to purchase Aim solo dl2 with smarty cam and ecu intergration. Any sponsors on the forum that sell them? Thanks.
Matt Romanowski, Jerry Austin and myself all sell them and educate users on their use. Many of the mail order vendors like Stable Energies and Apex Performance sell them, too.

The Solo 2 DL, while hardware ready, has not shipped in quantity to the US quite yet. The initial software release was last week, but more tests are being done to insure driver compatibility (communications to the ECU). Contact any of us and we’d be glad to help.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:03 PM
Michu
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Matt Romanowski, Jerry Austin and myself all sell them and educate users on their use. Many of the mail order vendors like Stable Energies and Apex Performance sell them, too.

The Solo 2 DL, while hardware ready, has not shipped in quantity to the US quite yet. The initial software release was last week, but more tests are being done to insure driver compatibility (communications to the ECU). Contact any of us and we’d be glad to help.
What is the best way to contact you? I couldnt find a way to send pm on my phone, may be I need to use a laptop.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here at Stable Energies, we are not only sell via phone orders and through our e commerce site, but also have a retail brick and mortar store here in Northern New Jersey.
We also have a full service race shop on the premises as well and have done many AiM product installations as well.
As with all the other dealers, we are awaiting the first shipment of Solo2's and have many on preorder.
It would be wise to get one on order asap!

Think Fast.....Be Safe
Bob Kakascik, president
Stable Energies

Last edited by Stable Energies; 05-02-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

To PM through the phone app, I believe you have to click on the person's name and then you can message them. I think you'll find all the dealers are eagerly awaiting the Solo 2 DL. Most, it not all of us, have the Solo 2 in stock.

Quick Reply: What's going on with AiM???