Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads for DE track for 2010 Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 10:05 AM
jimmoore
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads for DE track for 2010 Cayman S?

I burn up Textar OEM pads in 2-3 track days.
What about KFP brake pads?
Performance Friction might be too much brake, and expensive.
Pagid gold? yellow?
My Cayman is also my daily drive, so I'd like to leave the pads on for the track season, and not have the obnoxious squeak from some track pads.
Suggestions?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:19 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure about 2010 Cayman S - we run 2003
Boxster S weighing 2600 lbs.
PFCs I find to be far superior to Pagid. We run the PFC08. Get about 24+ hours race time out of a set of pads. An excellent pad. The Pagid black have similar performance characteristics but don’t last us nearly as long.
With initial price being similar, the wear rate makes the PFC a better buy.
I do not believe this will be “too much pad” for you. Not at the curb weight of your car.

ETA: I see you are looking for a good set of pads for street / track. I’d recommend changing pads for track
use. If not, be prepared for some squealing from the pads when toddling around on street.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:28 AM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

It is very likely you'll save money investing in a set of pads for the track and a set for the street. Any compromise pad is going to wear that much more quickly at the track.

I use pagid rs29 (yellows) which is the endurance compound and I get about 20 track days out of the front and even more from the rear. When I still daily drove my car I left the pagids installed on the street...the squealing doesn't bother me like most others.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:37 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

RS29 Pagid here too. They work well on track and don't squeal too bad after track events. I've had them on since October for street use (last DE was November). I didn't drive the car much at all Nov-February though due to weather and temps.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:10 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 165 Posts

I use Hawk DTC-60. They last long time on the track and are quite a bit less expensive than PFC or Pagid. They will make noise on the street but less than PFC (speaking from experience). I bought mine from autoanything.com
The design of calipers on our Caymans make it very easy to change pads. So, I would definitely recommend you to learn how to do that. Not only will you save money by swapping pads, you will also know exactly the state of your brakes before you get on the track.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:25 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

2-3 days is real quick for pads..... unless you do many hours each day and drive very hard.
are the fronts wearing out faster than rears? (they should)

consider taking a look at driving style and whether you rely on traction control a lot....
Old 02-27-2018, 11:46 AM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

There is no "free lunch". A few years ago I put Porterfield R4-S (high performance street pad capable of track) in my '88 911. They lasted exactly 3 track days before they were worn to the backing plate. I moved to Raybestos ST-43 (endurance race pad) on that car and then also on my track Boxster. On the 911 they howled on street so bad I had to swap them back and forth, this even after chamfering the leading edge and breaking them in properly. On the Boxster I keep them in full time, they did 10 track days during 6K miles last summer and are not even half worn, they work excellent cold and make 95% no noise on the street this time, why? no idea. Very powerful, no fade and wear like steel.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:21 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if they make in your size, but I tried Ferodo DS2500 on my 997RS and I was thoroughly impressed. The fronts and rears lasted approx 7-8 open track days, and the rears double that. They don't squeal too bad and held up when I drove on them. I drove in advance group if that helps.

With that said, I would opt for a dedicated track pad and dedicated street pad.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I also use RS29 pads on my track car, have always seemed very responsive and long lasting. Much cheaper than RE10s.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:58 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

On my '12 Cayman R, I used Pagid yellow front/ black rear for several seasons and liked them. Longer life than oem. Currently using PFC11 and like them better. As for cost, when I look at the total cost of an event, the relative difference in pads cost is minor. Any track pad can be noisy on the street. For occasional use it doesn't bother me. For a car also used for DD, I'd just swap them out. On the 987, as others note pad swaps are dead easy.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:08 PM
cmac
Instructor

Be mindful of the difference between 987.2 and 981 brake systems when considering pad advice. I ran Pagid Yellow front and Pagid Black back in the 981 and it was a good setup. With 987, I was advised the blacks were too aggressive and would cause ice pedal issues...
Old 02-27-2018, 02:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
There is no "free lunch". A few years ago I put Porterfield R4-S (high performance street pad capable of track) in my '88 911. They lasted exactly 3 track days before they were worn to the backing plate. I moved to Raybestos ST-43 (endurance race pad) on that car and then also on my track Boxster. On the 911 they howled on street so bad I had to swap them back and forth, this even after chamfering the leading edge and breaking them in properly. On the Boxster I keep them in full time, they did 10 track days during 6K miles last summer and are not even half worn, they work excellent cold and make 95% no noise on the street this time, why? no idea. Very powerful, no fade and wear like steel.
yes, there is a free lunch.. pagid black RS14, and bed them properly. no squeal on the street if bedded properly (see my offer to provide step by step bed in procedure.... ive provided this to about 30 rennlisters)
there are other pads that work well too, but the decision is more about wear rates, temperature performance characteristics, and dust when talking about DE/street use.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
Not sure about 2010 Cayman S - we run 2003
Boxster S weighing 2600 lbs.
PFCs I find to be far superior to Pagid. We run the PFC08. Get about 24+ hours race time out of a set of pads. An excellent pad. The Pagid black have similar performance characteristics but don’t last us nearly as long.
With initial price being similar, the wear rate makes the PFC a better buy.
I do not believe this will be “too much pad” for you. Not at the curb weight of your car.

ETA: I see you are looking for a good set of pads for street / track. I’d recommend changing pads for track
use. If not, be prepared for some squealing from the pads when toddling around on street.
i dont recommend changing the pads at the track. Plus, its a hassle if you want noise free performance and the pads to work best under all conditions, use the same pads on the originally, new rotor. well bedded and they will not make noise.
weight has nothing to do about the decision. well, it is a HP/weight ratio being the dominant wear/use factor, and as you gain more weight, the demands actually go down. (this is because when you are lighter you go faster, and its the KE that needs to be dissipated at the brakes to slow, so speed is the dominant factor, not weight)
Old 02-27-2018, 03:26 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
yes, there is a free lunch.. pagid black RS14, and bed them properly. no squeal on the street if bedded properly (see my offer to provide step by step bed in procedure.... ive provided this to about 30 rennlisters)
there are other pads that work well too, but the decision is more about wear rates, temperature performance characteristics, and dust when talking about DE/street use.
Noted re: the RS14. I actually think I have your bed-in procedure already saved somewhere. Thanks..
Old 03-01-2018, 05:18 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give me a shout for Pagids or PFC!

Quick Reply: Brake pads for DE track for 2010 Cayman S?