Enclosed Trailer pricing question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 10:45 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Enclosed Trailer pricing question

I need some advice on a potential trailer purchase. These are the specs:

2000 Haulmark Elite II 28'. 2x5k lbs axles, winch, full upper and lower L-shaped cabinets, interior lights and seperate dome lights, outlets, rooftop A/C, awning, alloy wheels, electric tongue lift, insulated with white vinyl walls and checkerboard floor. It has about 8k miles on it. It was used to pull an alcohol dragster. It is in very nice shape-clean and undamaged. Any ideas on a fair price on this trailer?

Justin
Old 12-24-2003, 11:59 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Forgot to add that It belongs to my wifes step-father. He wants $7500 for it.
Old 12-25-2003, 03:36 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Justin, very good price. Let me know if You dont want it I know someone who will snap it up at that #. He is in FL.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:37 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

It sounded pretty good. I am just kind of hesitant to buy something from a family member. Sometimes it can end up in a mess.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correction, it almost always ends up a mess. But that is a good price. I have a friend that bought a new off brand for $5,000, and added all the stuff that you are getting. He had way more than $7,500 in it by the time it was finished. 5 years down the road the axles went bad, and it cost about $2,000 to fix it. Moral, don't buy a cheap trailer, and a Haulmark is a pretty good trailer.

You could try looking pathetic, and poor, and play on his good nature, but, I doubt you could get hurt buying it, at the price he is asking.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
1987 944S Race Car under const.

1991 Pace 22' enclosed trailer, still in ok shape, and it cost darn near that much new,
Old 12-25-2003, 02:03 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

I priced a new one with the same options and it was 13000. The funny thing about it is when I asked him how much he wanted for it this summer, he said $6500. Now he is up to $7500. FWIW, he is a typical used car salesman (the buy here-pay here type). He is a nice guy, but I would never buy a car from him. Whenever he wants to sell something he says, " I take $XXXX for it." That phrase drives me crazy. Nice trailer though.

Justin
Old 12-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Ken T
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just offer him 6500 and let him mull it over for awhile. Used car salesman love the process. You'll pay a little more, but you can use the opportunity to work him over for a while. That would be fun.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Like I said, You dont want it let me know. That is a great price with that equipment, AC, cabinets etc...
Old 12-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One issue that grabs my attention, you said: "2x5K axles"

Do you mean 10K axles or does it really have 5K axles??

If they are 5K axles (I doubt they are, minimum should be 7500lb) then the trailer would surely be overlimit with a car in it. Just double check that the trailer has 10K axles and I would say go for it.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:31 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Trailer is set up for 10k GVW as opposed to the more common 7K GVW.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:22 PM
OTEcupracer
Rennlist Member

Hey sprbxr, have your wife offer him $6000 !!!
Old 12-27-2003, 04:41 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

That's funny. I went over last night to look at it for the first time in a year. Holy sh*t. The thing is trashed. Both rear corners have dragged causing damage. It looks like someone took a can opener to on the side above the wheels. The front upper fiberglass corner is cracked. It is hard to believe how damaged it is in a year. I am going to pass on this one. I can find a better one elsewhere.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:36 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Justin,

Haulmark sells a wide array of spares due to people hitting things with their trailers. Depending upon the damage most of the work may be bolt-on (obviously not the paint). You might contact Haulmark and check pricing for some of these items and what it would take to put them on. I was trying to shop on their website this weekend, but apparently their shopping cart software expired so you can not access any of the accesssories.

You may have some signicant negotiating power if it is most of the damage is bolt on...
Old 12-30-2003, 11:35 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, I have the same issues with my recent Haulmark purchase, and have since run over a semi-truck tire tread that flew up and caused more damage, cosmetically.

Haulmark does offer quite a bit in regards to replacing the shiney aluminum corners, the hinges and camlocks that hold the bay doors shut are prone to rust, etc. - if you look, the parts are fairly inexpensive. I plan to invest about $300 in various parts this Winter to spruce mine up a bit.

If it is truly a P.O.S. - walk away, you'll thank yourself later. I think the condition really depends on where people store them...mine was stored beside the guy's garage and basically a cliff. There was A LOT of moisture always present, so the transome has a lot of rust on it, just surface though, and all the hinges/door latches/camlocks are rusy...will replace with new vice stripping and powdercoating, etc.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:12 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's been mentioned before, but check out www.racingjunk.com There is a remarkable number of trailers at all times.
Brandon

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer pricing question