Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca times

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 05:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

not going wide into 9 is the equivalent of an early apex. you will never get the speed on the exit that you can have, expecialy because of the grip of the banking you can utilize. better to go further right after the exit of the corkscrew to get a more optimum angle to turn 9, and , as you say, go get on the gas faster. you shouldnt have to ever even tap the brakes on the exit of the corkscrew when done right.

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
Very interesting thread.
Im from Europe, but being often in the SF bay area, i fall in love with Laguna Seca.
In the above, my only comment is that in turn 9, i tend to enter about mid track, or even a little bit "more" than that, and when approaching the apex, ..i do floot it.
if I enter (9) more in the left, (ok, a shorter path..), I get the feeling that i have to wait a bit longer to floor it, ..to exit wide right in the best possible acceleration in the way to t10.

But, with all the above comments, sure that the line do depend from the car you have.
(mine is an old (2001) Boxster S, that have a stock engine, ..or somehow low power, ..but I have good brakes (6p caliper on big floating rotors), this with Ok tires (nt01) with good negatve camber). So my territory is entering curves and curves, ..as on the exit, my engine can only gives what he has !
Currently, I have more than 1300 miles driven on this track, and feel ..that i still have a lot to optimize there !
This is a low speed, ..but a very technical line track, just love it big time.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:29 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks Mark,

I think (sorry for my English) we are saying the same, i.e.: after exiting the C.S., going to the right, (I would say as wide as a bit more than the middle of the track), before diving left into the apex (of 9)
doing so, I can floor, well before the apex, ..I love it, as this being downhill, I feel that I have more power !

What do you call "going wide" ? More that 1/2 to 2/3 of the track right before entering t9 ?
I think if you do more than 2/3 of track on the right, you lose too much in distance. Do you agree ?

PS : I love your car, 928 is such a fab car. (..my daily is a Panamera V8
But in a track like LS, should be quite hard for the car, as you have very little tiny places in the lap to let it breeze !
Old 06-25-2018, 07:38 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Funny, no ones here made comments about the "new" pieces of rubber that are now in the inside left of CS !

Here :
Old 06-25-2018, 08:09 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks! the 928 is actually best suited for Laguna vs any track ive been to yet, besides, road america or Willow springs. the 928 being so long, doesnt like hairpins, and likes the high speed 90degree angle turns, like Laguna is known for.

as far as the corkscrew exit.. yes, you want to be 2/3s to the right before 9. it seems like it is further out of the way, but like most turns, less angle gives you higher speed through the turn and it pays dividends there. when im racing and someone trys a lower , protective line, i can make up a LOT of ground there.

Thanks Mark,

I think (sorry for my English) we are saying the same, i.e.: after exiting the C.S., going to the right, (I would say as wide as a bit more than the middle of the track), before diving left into the apex (of 9)
doing so, I can floor, well before the apex, ..I love it, as this being downhill, I feel that I have more power !

What do you call "going wide" ? More that 1/2 to 2/3 of the track right before entering t9 ?
I think if you do more than 2/3 of track on the right, you lose too much in distance. Do you agree ?

PS : I love your car, 928 is such a fab car. (..my daily is a Panamera V8
But in a track like LS, should be quite hard for the car, as you have very little tiny places in the lap to let it breeze !
Old 06-25-2018, 08:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

yes, i like the new "birms" keeps folks from spraying rocks!! last race:

Funny, no ones here made comments about the "new" pieces of rubber that are now in the inside left of CS !

Here :
Old 06-26-2018, 12:26 AM
rezanourai
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who else will be down there on Thursday (28th) with HOD? I'll also be back again for the 7th & 8th weekend with PCA.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:15 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

I become a great fan of ETD (exclusive track days), ..nothing beat 7 x 20 mins sessions ! (3 groups)
Drivers are great, very fast, very skilled and organizers ..are great too.
..But next ETD day is sold out, (..this is one of the very rare "high noise" day !)
Old 06-26-2018, 01:35 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Btw, to be back on your topic, my old 2001 Boxster S, (stock engine) ..let me run on the 1.48 ish !
Yes, pretty slow, ..but : I'm a Gran Fa !

See for example, screen capture of my recorder, this month, on the early sessions of the morning, kind of slow lap, but still "brutal" entering into the CS : 1.5 G lateral in the first curve, i.e.: after braking, slow speed, diving down on left, close to the new big pieces of rubber)!
(Ses, ..sometime, I'm asking myself if my G sensors are ok, ..or have been built in Marseillle ** !)

At least, you can see the enveloppe : wide on lateral Gs, good on braking (my Brembo 6p/large floating rotors), ..and my weak power !

* made in Marseille : a french expression that means exaggerating !
Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Btw, to be back on your topic, my old 2001 Boxster S, (stock engine) ..let me run on the 1.48 ish !
Yes, pretty slow, ..but : I'm a Gran Fa !

See for example, screen capture of my recorder, this month, on the early sessions of the morning, kind of slow lap, but still "brutal" entering into the CS : 1.5 G lateral in the first curve, i.e.: after braking, slow speed, diving down on left, close to the new big pieces of rubber)!
(Ses, ..sometime, I'm asking myself if my G sensors are ok, ..or have been built in Marseillle ** !)

At least, you can see the enveloppe : wide on lateral Gs, good on braking (my Brembo 6p/large floating rotors), ..and my weak power !

* made in Marseille : a french expression that means exaggerating !
Nice work!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-27-2018, 03:45 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter,
I can add, that before this Boxster, I had (many) 911 as daily, non stop for 30 years. (Yes, I'm a Grand Fa, ..no joke here !)
It is just incredible how much nicer/easier is a Boxster in term of handling. A real super great car.

To be fast with a 911, you really have to brake (..at every curves) at the exact breaking point. This seems to be easy to say, but in my view, ..it is hard to do, when your are a "casual track driver".
With a 911, if you have to release, (even a little bit) the brake before triggering your turn, (because braking too early), then you turn "weak" !. With a Boxster (I should say with any car that has the engine on the center), this is still true,. but not amplified by having the engine far away in the rear !

..May be why I love the Boxster : This car is nice with me !
(I also love (big time) the MP4-12C, (and the descendants), as well as the Exige V6 Cup, these are real super great machines)

To be back on the topic, with the same settings (tires, brakes, no roof, Li-Ion battery, light O.Z. rims, light seats, (passenger not movable, fixed on aluminum frame), no spare tire/tool box on board, ...) my best recorded lap was in the mid 1.47.
Another point of interest : moving from regular road tires into Nitto NT01, gave me an easy gain of 5 to 6 seconds per lap !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 07-06-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:41 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Looks like IndyCar will be back in 2019. It’ll be interesting to see what lap times they’ll put in...

https://jalopnik.com/indycar-is-goin...019-1827600523
Old 07-15-2018, 02:16 PM
malibuboy
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Alright, so I was at Laguna Seca last weekend with PCA-GGR. I lucked out and got a garage for both days. I am running a 2014 C4 with Michelin 4S tires everything else,stock. No sport chrono, no sport plus. There was a lot of traffic in my white group in fact there was 179 participants overall. My basic thought pattern was get out first, which meant pre-gridding as soon as the prior group was on track. Yeah a 20 minute pre-grid. At Laguna. In the sun.

All my my efforts worked out. By a stroke of luck a few of the drivers decided they were too good for the group and asked the DCI to move them into the next group, leaving far fewer people in my group especially on the second day. On Sunday, my new bud Teddy (cayman gts , brembos and sport cups) and I had some space and time. He ran, I followed. Three runs, all pretty wide open for the first four laps or so.

All this being said, I managed a 1:49.812 and have the video to back it up.

Time for a Brembo BBK, and a frank discussion about r compound and Hoosiers. I think I need tire service!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:42 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 230 Posts

@malibuboy
i was there too (in blue). I followed the same principle and lined up first. Unfortunately usually after 1 1/2 - 2 laps I was catching up with the cars who went out last.
It was a little bit like F1 qualifying: you have one lap for your best lap time ;-). Ended up with a 1:43.5
2009 C4S, Nitto NT01, after market sway bars (that’s all the go fast parts I have)

Quick Reply: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca times