Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Parts "Time Out" on a DE car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:51 PM
Vetch
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What Parts "Time Out" on a DE car?

I've got about 90 track days on a 2008 997. Standard consumables get replaced frequently (pads, rotors, tires, brake fluid, gear oil). Then there are the odd things here and there like harnesses, helmet, HANS tether, brake lines, spark plugs, igniters, air filter, wheel bearings, etc, which time out in one way or another.

But what parts should I be looking for at this point which could be on the verge of failure? I've heard of a Porsche motorsport maintenance schedule. Not sure what's on there or if it applies to a 997 that is driven on weekends and DE events. A local shop suggested replacing tie rods and the suspension. Not sure if I trust that or not.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:33 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience with DE & racing a GTB1 Cayman and a GTC4 997 Cup Car I would add a few things to your list. Racing we tend to change out lower control arms and axles every 2 years - hopefully before a failure but I have had axles and LCAs fail sooner. Also limited slip differential in my experience seems to lose performance around 60-65 track days (Guard) factory LSD can give up much sooner - common symptom is increased tail wag under hard breaking at end of high speed straights. Drop links to sway bars are also another wear item, check the Heim joints for play/noise , Tarett and others offer better quality replacement links. Finally with the number of days you are piling up I would rebuild your calipers (or have them rebuilt). If you keep up with caliper maintenance you can usually get away with just replacing the seals (relatively inexpensive). If you let them go too long and wear pistons or cylinder walls repair/replacement costs go up significantly. I rebuild calipers every other year doing 40-45 days at the track per year.
I am sure others will offer additional advice. Hopefully this is a good start.

Last edited by obsessedone; 02-20-2018 at 08:54 AM. Reason: LSD rebuild timing
Old 02-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by obsessedone
From my experience with DE & racing a GTB1 Cayman and a GTC4 997 Cup Car I would add a few things to your list. Racing we tend to change out lower control arms and axles every 2 years - hopefully before a failure but I have had axles and LCAs fail sooner. Also limited slip differential in my experience seems to lose performance around 100-125 track days (Guard) factory LSD can give up much sooner - common symptom is increased tail wag under hard breaking at end of high speed straights. Drop links to sway bars are also another wear item, check the Heim joints for play/noise , Tarett and others offer better quality replacement links. Finally with the number of days you are piling up I would rebuild your calipers (or have them rebuilt). If you keep up with caliper maintenance you can usually get away with just replacing the seals (relatively inexpensive). If you let them go too long and wear pistons or cylinder walls repair/replacement costs go up significantly. I rebuild calipers every other year doing 40-45 days at the track per year.
I am sure others will offer additional advice. Hopefully this is a good start.
This is a pretty good list. Im very much on the same schedule with about 30 track days per year, replacing axles and LCAs every two years and yes, I had both of them fail earlier and they usually destroy other stuff with it. Rebuilding calipers annually is good insurance and so is replacing wheel bearings annually. Given the price point, I don’t rebuild rear calipers but just replace them with new. I also have my shocks rebuilt annually and check my wheel centers for cracks after every event and have them straightened annually (if required).

Its ts all about proactive maintenance so you don’t ruin a track weekend and have to scramble at the track.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Everything...my first though. I just replaced "everything " Vetch your car 7 years old now.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:19 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Good question - not enough people think like this! My shop keeps track of the lifespan of all the parts which time out.

You'd be amazed at how few people do this as it "costs money". So does laying in a hospital bed so I view it as an investment, not a cost.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:25 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

I would add wheels to your list too. Others can chime-in on what a sensible age-out time is for a set, but it's not 10 years.

Re calipers, to Frank's point, it is probably cheaper to throw them out and replace versus rebuild.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:09 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Everything...my first though. I just replaced "everything " Vetch your car 7 years old now.
I don't think everything is the right answer to an honest question. The OP is asking which parts time out over repeated use in DE. I would have to doubt my hood or quarter panels need to be replaced every 5 years.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmm, haven't seen wheel studs listed yet. I typically do mine every two years.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by gman3280
Hmmm, haven't seen wheel studs listed yet. I typically do mine every two years.
Excellent point!

I doubt the OP has wheels studs but nevertheless.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:20 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Great thread. Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook has a good section on metal fatigue that explains why it's important to "time out" parts even if they haven't been stressed near their limits. I need to come up with a schedule for my car.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

LCA

Had cracks and balljoint failure on rss arms, now running cup arms from tarett

I havnt replaced axles on both my boxster and cayman, ive been running each car for 2 race season each.

Wheels studs is a good idea.
Wheels , i inspect them, replace when their go bad(vibration) (cheap 500$ usd OZ wheel)
Old 02-20-2018, 02:20 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

177MPH- not door panels. Maybe window regulators. But you know my point. . Even my windshield tear off was just replaced. . Actually Frank 993 C4S - you got me on this one. I have 3 sets of original wheels. I inspect them but have not changed them. Just about everything else.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:33 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Out here in the Southwest, a windshield from rock damage is an eventuality.
Always keep helmet visor down regardless of heat
Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
177MPH- not door panels. Maybe window regulators. But you know my point. . Even my windshield tear off was just replaced. . Actually Frank 993 C4S - you got me on this one. I have 3 sets of original wheels. I inspect them but have not changed them. Just about everything else.
I did my tear off as well. wheels every few years for sure.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I could tell you, but you dont want to hear it. These are in most cases aluminum components in the suspension with varying amounts of rubber. Add to that wheel bearings that are the same as Cupcars. Add sticky tires, good suspension, etc etc and when your lap times are coming down then your parts wear and stress is increasing. There is a pretty good list recently in the Cupcar Forum that many DE drivers should look at for 996 997s.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...arts-last.html

Quick Reply: What Parts "Time Out" on a DE car?