Sponsored by:

996cup how long do parts last?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:36 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 996cup how long do parts last?

I just started using racecartracking.com to track parts on the car and was looking for a couple of datapoints from the collected brainpower on this forum. I am trying to be safe but also not wasteful of money (ok I should have chosen chess as a hobby...) I also want to be able to predict future expenditures

what parts do you track hrs or miles on?
what timeout values do you use?
do you take parts off when they timeout? or just inspect?
do you save taken off parts as spare parts in case you need them at a raceweekend?

if you also use racecartracking and are willing to share screenshots of parts list you track pls pm me (or post here)
Old 12-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hours tracked on all suspension parts and driveline.
1) Wheel Bearings - Change every year
2) All new suspension parts every other year. Some of the parts with rubber like dog bones every year.
3) Axles Every year clean and regrease with Krytox. Replace after 2 years (if cv joint has play during replace as needed)
4) Air Jacks - Rebuild every 2 years
5) Fuel Filter replace mid and end season. At same time clean fuel tank. lots of dirt in the track fuel tanks sometimes.
6) Air Wand - Rebuild 2 years
7) Shocks rebuild every 2 years if no signs of leakage
8) Spherical bearings (like top shock mounts) replace every 2 years
9) Clean Fuel Injectors year one, replace in year 2
10) Coils replace each year
11) Rear Plastic Window replace every 2 years
12) Metal Radiators every 2 years
13) Every 3 years ALL rubber lines / hoses in cooling system
14) Brake Calipers rebuild each year
15) Brake Master Cylinder replace each year
16) Brake lines replace each year
17) Clutch Master replace every 2 years
18) Replace 3 disc clutch each year along with through out bearing / pressure plate every 2 years
19) Replace 9v battery in Fire System (yearly is fine if you remember to turn off. Always carry spare)
20) Fire System - Review expiration date at beginning of season. Get refilled if expiring

I dont have my actual data available, but this is off top of my head. This was for our cars doing roughly 50-60 hours a year.You mileage may vary. We tended to replace more often, but we also never had a part failure at the track in almost 5 years.

Last edited by Viperbob1; 12-14-2017 at 12:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Max964t36 (09-02-2022)
Old 12-13-2017, 03:06 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

thanks Bob !!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Nice list! Thanks.
I think I have literally gone thru this a few times!
Not for the faint hearted! But nothing is worse than going to an event and breaking!
Time is the real commodity in my world
Old 12-13-2017, 09:14 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Who do you use to rebuild the wand ? Cup car Solutions ?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Great list Bob - wow I am way behind on everything . Other thing to consider as Bob said is hours and what level you will be driving at . We know pro support and campaign will be a lot different then club level
Old 12-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bgiere
Who do you use to rebuild the wand ? Cup car Solutions ?
Yes send it to Cupcar solutions. They deal with the older ones, and are just getting the tooling to do all the newer Krontec stuff (wands and air jacks)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Oh and BTW I keep adding stuff to the list as I think about the car a little more...
Old 12-15-2017, 10:46 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Hours tracked on all suspension parts and driveline.
1) Wheel Bearings - Change every year
2) All new suspension parts every other year. Some of the parts with rubber like dog bones every year.
3) Axles Every year clean and regrease with Krytox. Replace after 2 years (if cv joint has play during replace as needed)
4) Air Jacks - Rebuild every 2 years
5) Fuel Filter replace mid and end season. At same time clean fuel tank. lots of dirt in the track fuel tanks sometimes.
6) Air Wand - Rebuild 2 years
7) Shocks rebuild every 2 years if no signs of leakage
8) Spherical bearings (like top shock mounts) replace every 2 years
9) Clean Fuel Injectors year one, replace in year 2
10) Coils replace each year
11) Rear Plastic Window replace every 2 years
12) Metal Radiators every 2 years
13) Every 3 years ALL rubber lines / hoses in cooling system
14) Brake Calipers rebuild each year
15) Brake Master Cylinder replace each year
16) Brake lines replace each year
17) Clutch Master replace every 2 years
18) Replace 3 disc clutch each year along with through out bearing / pressure plate every 2 years
19) Replace 9v battery in Fire System (yearly is fine if you remember to turn off. Always carry spare)
20) Fire System - Review expiration date at beginning of season. Get refilled if expiring

I dont have my actual data available, but this is off top of my head. This was for our cars doing roughly 50-60 hours a year.You mileage may vary. We tended to replace more often, but we also never had a part failure at the track in almost 5 years.

the Master has spoken!!
Old 12-16-2017, 12:42 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Same for 7Cups more or less?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:25 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Seems that 997 and 996 are more or less the same to maintain except for the gearbox? I’d like to know what the rebuild intervals for each car’s transmission and associated costs? Read lots about 997 gearbox requiring far more upkeep than 996. Is it true? I know a few that race 997 at club level and they’re opening them up for a look every 20-30 hours.

I am still deciding between 996 and 997 and the box is something I keep coming back to.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

On our 996 boxes, repair time is completely on the driver. Miss a bunch of shifts and box needs refreshing sooner. What we have seen with occasional shifting imperfections is at 35-45 hours a refresh on the box. Typically in the $4-6k range. And a major service every other time to $10-12K. IF 997 has a blipper or a DAMN GOOD DRIVER we see about similar costs. Of course on the 997 baby the shifter with no blipper and you will find yourself with a $20-25k bill....
Old 12-17-2017, 03:56 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

The Function First shifter is the best upgrade you can do on a 996 cup. Thanks to PCA Club racing for allowing this update.
Awesome list BTW
Old 12-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Ted in Rochester
Rennlist Member

In give up, what is a Function First shifter? (Last season I replaced both my shift lever assembly and the cables with factory parts and shift precision is improved).
Old 12-18-2017, 01:14 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
On our 996 boxes, repair time is completely on the driver. Miss a bunch of shifts and box needs refreshing sooner. What we have seen with occasional shifting imperfections is at 35-45 hours a refresh on the box. Typically in the $4-6k range. And a major service every other time to $10-12K. IF 997 has a blipper or a DAMN GOOD DRIVER we see about similar costs. Of course on the 997 baby the shifter with no blipper and you will find yourself with a $20-25k bill....
Thanks for the info. I assume your shop deals with professional drivers predominantly? This was close to my expectation with the 996 cup in the hands of a pro, which is pretty darn good for a dinosaur of a race car. I damaged the gearbox in my 996 GT3 street car on the race track (the syncrhos were tired) and it was about 11K (50% of which was upgrading all of the synchros to the cup car parts). I imagine this is most of what you are referring to when you say "major service". I imagine the cost indicated for the intermediate service is mostly labour to dismantle and inspect/reassemble and replacing the odd worn bearing etc? What is "babying" the shifter as such?

Catastrophic failure of either 996 or 997 transmission could be just as expensive one another, however it seems more common/easier to achieve with the 997 sequential (again, only from what I have heard).

Originally Posted by Ted in Rochester
In give up, what is a Function First shifter? (Last season I replaced both my shift lever assembly and the cables with factory parts and shift precision is improved).
Function-First is a vendor on these forums. He supplies a kit which upgrades all of the internal components in the 996 shifter. It's predominantly designed for the street car which has a lot of plastic bushings (the kit replaces the plastic with steel items for less play and better durability). However, the cup shifter (which is the same design as the street shifter only with mostly steel bushings as opposed to plastic) also develops wear over time and the FF kit can be used to rebuild this when needed. If you have near new parts in your car, you wont need to worry about it for a while, but it's a great option for those who do as the cup shifter is NLA AFAIK.

Last edited by spiller; 12-18-2017 at 01:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 996cup how long do parts last?