Sponsored by:

DE Budget

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:06 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
3 event season...good luck with that. 3 turns into 6, 6 turns into 12.
Or in my case, 3 turns into 40......
Old 02-14-2018, 12:08 PM
apex32
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First mistake was negotiating a budget!

I do as others have mentioned, or used to before instructing and attending events for free. Events are $xxx/ ea, and leave it at that. Once you catch the bug, you will be amazed how fast $ will leak out from everywhere. Maintenance, fluids, brakes, tires, event fees, modifications (hopefully safety mods), etc.

Whatever you're thinking for budget is low, and the first stepping stone. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2018, 12:54 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

my only real expense is gas...

i (like worldcom) capitalize the rest
Old 02-14-2018, 02:50 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I’ve only been able to do half a dozen days a year and always figure it will be nearly $1k/day in total when considering total expenses over the year. I usually spend much less on the day of the event but then between events I might “need” the right set of low treadwear tires, refreshed brakes, a mechanical fix, a new upgrade for track duty, early fluid changes, etc., so when all things are considered, events need to typically have a direct cost of just the fee plus gas-and-go (which alone is $300-500) for the overall cost to be any kind of modest figure. If you do work yourself and count the labor cost as free that can help bring the costs down. But if you do six track days and don’t instruct, you’ll spend spend $2-3k on fuel and event fees, and if all the track related extra things you do to the car that year are only $3k, you’re kissing $1k per day. If you do track insurance and travel to events, it all adds up pretty quickly.

And, being completely honest, if you were not tracking at all, would you buy a different street car? Maybe, maybe not. It could be a significant indirect cost of tracking the car for some of us.

With the 986 SPB project (still on street tires) instead of a late model 911 or similar car my consumable costs for events are down noticeably but my overall spending is up anyway. Whatever money is earmarked for events and goes unspent just ends up going into the build. Any unforeseen expenses just get paid for, so there’s no over/under to average the costs out. And while I could certainly address that with a tiny shred of discipline, where’s the fun in that? If I really needed to spend less I’d have bought a cheaper project. At some cost level we can just gloss over the details. For a toy and an activity that amounts to play, that’s a good level to be at.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:53 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

The biggest problem with a budget is the visibility. I don't care how loving/understanding/supportive your significant other is, prepare to have that number thrown back at you like a weapon at least once a month.

Which leads me to the bigger point.....the real budget isn't $5k. Think closer to $10-15k when wifey compensatory spending is included.

(retaliatory spending is vindictive and would suggest only benefits the wife. Compensatory spending is for the supportive wives that leverage the track days to get better stuff....dinners out, vacations, upgrades, etc. In the immortal words of Teri Hatcher: [these costs] are real and they are spectacular!)
Old 02-14-2018, 04:54 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 02-14-2018, 05:21 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
I'm still working negotiations with my wife on the upcoming season. Just wondering, have any of you added up the money you spend on a season? I'm trying for a modest three event season "ticket" and am thinking a $5k budget. She is very concerned that I have a "money is no object" type of attitude with the car, and I think a budget limit would help her agree. All events would be at VIR, so < 1.5 hour drive.

In round numbers, a $500 event fee & $500 insurance takes up $3k. Plus hotel, food, gas, brakes, tech inspections...
Well, when your three events start to multiply like rabbits and you get the urge to go a bit further and entertain the thought of racing, that's when you'll REALLY spend......and this from a non-racer who's spoken to enough racers in 20+ years of doing track events to know it ain't gonna happen unless I do, well, three events a year

Take heart in the fact that just about anything that's cool to have/do tends to cost a lot of money. Back in the 80s I bought an original Gibson Les Paul guitar; cost me $5000 which was a hell of a lot of $$$ at that time.....same guitar today, $200k+. Wish I still had it.....who am I kidding? If I did I'd sell it in a heartbeat!

Get out there, spend what needs to be spent, and enjoy!

Gary
Old 02-14-2018, 08:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hahaha! Yep...

Been trying for thirty-five plus years. Can't do it!

Tires are my largest single line item... Not too many things better than a warm slick, on the first hot lap!
Get a second set of rims and have a B set for your used tires. I buy one set per year (now.. that's a new thing) for 6 -7 weekends. that way i always have an almost new set for all races that count. the rest of the time, I'm on used tires.
My budget is entry fees, and gas and general maint items. ( oil and brakes) Been doing that for over 20 years now. Camping on the track saves dollars too.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:14 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
Exactly what I did, sort of. Bought a $8K 986 and put another $8K in to safety, reliability, suspension, brakes, tires etc. I only buy insurance for tracks with no run off, the Glen and Palmer. With a new GT4 I'd assume insurance is a must everywhere, but you can save a lot in a backwards way by doing 2 or 3-day events, the entry fee is usually not double/triple and insurance is only charged per event, not per day. If you catch the DE bug (you will), get your wheel camber pushed in to the negative #'s and you won't burn up $1,500 tires in a weekend. My street driven 986 has -2.6 F, -2.3 rear with Continental Extreme Contact Sports (street tires), did 10 track days last summer in yellow/blue run group, the fronts are at 80% and rears at 60-70%. Those things wear like steel and have 95% the grip of Michelin PSS and are 30% cheaper.

A 2-day event at the Glen costs me $1,100 all in. Entry, insurance($10K value), Seneca Lodge, gas, food, tech inspection. As someone else mentioned, make $5K your hard budget for the season and see how many days you can squeeze in there while being frugal with expenses you can actually control.

Call me a hater but just think what your DE budget could of been if it hadn't all been spent on the car.. But then you wouldn't have such a fantastic car.

Have fun on the track, you'll love it!
Sounds about right 2 days at the Glen with Zone 1, was about $800 with track insurance , the last two years.
But, I only live an hour away , so I would drive back and forth each day.
This coming May, I am going to stay at the Seneca Lodge instead of commute.
Factory in gas, it's only a hundred more.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:04 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
It is somewhat less expensive if you are just starting out. As a newbie you tend not to thrash your car around the track the same way an experienced driver might so wheels and brakes are used less.

"retaliatory spending" is bad enough and she has no idea of the true cost.

Another tip is to focus on two-day events, as you get more bang for the buck...and 2X track time for roughly the same "cost" in family capital.

"retaliatory spending" Love this term, which I'd never heard before. My wife does preemptive spending...and is mostly oblivious to it (...or so she claims).
Old 02-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow996
Listen, DE or racing are waaaayyy cheaper than having a mistress. Just tell her that.
+1000. My wife calls my cars my mistresses. They(cars) may actually be expensive than the human kind but she is perfectly ok with them. Besides - some of my best friends are people I met at the track. You develop a special bond when you trust people around you at 125+ MPH.

You only live once and can't take it with you. Do you really want to give it your kids as members of the lucky sperm club. Screw that - Work hard/Play hard(er).
Old 02-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
F no, I don't add it up! I don't want my future ex-wife's divorce lawyer to get his hands on that info. Or my kid to hate me because he can't afford to go to college!
I can tell you from experience that is exactly what will happen. If you think a wife or ex-wife is bad, wait until you have experienced a retaliatory judge.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:47 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Re: wives and track budget:
I bought my wife a spec miata and as many hoosiers as she wanted.
Problem solved.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
I can tell you from experience that is exactly what will happen. If you think a wife or ex-wife is bad, wait until you have experienced a retaliatory judge.
Ouch!!!

Quick Reply: DE Budget