Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   DE Budget (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1049352-de-budget.html)

aryork 02-12-2018 09:30 AM

DE Budget

I'm still working negotiations with my wife on the upcoming season. Just wondering, have any of you added up the money you spend on a season? I'm trying for a modest three event season "ticket" and am thinking a $5k budget. She is very concerned that I have a "money is no object" type of attitude with the car, and I think a budget limit would help her agree. All events would be at VIR, so < 1.5 hour drive.

In round numbers, a $500 event fee & $500 insurance takes up $3k. Plus hotel, food, gas, brakes, tech inspections...

CharleyH 02-12-2018 09:52 AM

No! This question brakes the number one rule of racing....”Never add up what you are spending”. ;)

Charley

CDinSing 02-12-2018 09:55 AM

Are you including replacing tires in your total cost? I usually get 8 track days from a set of Cup2s and front pads on the GT3. Based on car and driving level and style you will use more or less. Also some tires last longer....

LuigiVampa 02-12-2018 10:03 AM

It is somewhat less expensive if you are just starting out. As a newbie you tend not to thrash your car around the track the same way an experienced driver might so wheels and brakes are used less.

Looking at your budget I think you are leaving about $1k for the car which may be a little light.

In my opinion you should do the maximum amount of events that you can do within your budget - whether that is two or three will depend on your burn rate. Everything can be smooth sailing or the stress of an event can bring out a problem with your car that requires repair. You just never know.

Lastly, while I never lie to my wife I just never discuss track costs with her. The retaliatory spending is bad enough and she has no idea of the true cost.

aryork 02-12-2018 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by CDinSing (Post 14795847)
Are you including replacing tires in your total cost? I usually get 8 track days from a set of Cup2s and front pads on the GT3. Based on car and driving level and style you will use more or less. Also some tires last longer....

Dang, there goes my budget! Yes, I probably should include a set of tires (that's almost $2k, right?), although in theory, I would not burn out a whole set for six days, like you say. Same thing with rotors - could "amortize" those over two seasons (or more maybe). Sounds like $6k would be more realistic. I would have to do other things "off-budget" (if the government does it, why can't i?) like if I wanted a new seat or something like that. Or, maybe "safety" upgrades are automatically off-budget!

Charley H is right...this may be one of those questions that you don't ask if you don't want the wrong answer...

aryork 02-12-2018 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa (Post 14795868)
I.... The retaliatory spending is bad enough and she has no idea of the true cost.

LOL! "Retaliatory spending" is indeed a true concept. Never heard it put like that, but it is so true. My wife is very good at not spending tons of money on things, but if she goes into retaliatory mode, watch out!

I guess I was thinking if we got an agreed-to budget, we could avoid the retaliatory phase.

cosm3os 02-12-2018 10:20 AM

F no, I don't add it up! I don't want my future ex-wife's divorce lawyer to get his hands on that info. Or my kid to hate me because he can't afford to go to college!

DTMiller 02-12-2018 10:29 AM

Adding it up is why I now own a Miata. No insurance and I'll spend about $1500 on tires, oil, and brakes this year to run 25 days.

zedcat 02-12-2018 10:34 AM

$1.5k per day all in.

Dr911 02-12-2018 10:36 AM

Adding cheer to an already dreary Monday ...B word post.....
Good grief Charlie Brown! :nono:

But since you asked....prepare for several international trips, sound systems, foolish hobbies to be counter offered in the negotiations. Since your spouse is of the fairer sex may I suggest you plan on jewelry, home remodels/ vacation homes as well.

Meaning $1200 per weekend not including tires/repairs/other consumables.

Good luck.

PGas32 02-12-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by cosm3os (Post 14795906)
F no, I don't add it up! I don't want my future ex-wife's divorce lawyer to get his hands on that info. Or my kid to hate me because he can't afford to go to college!

This pretty much sums up this hobby for me!

OP, just wait til you get in really deep and you’re selling that fancy street car for a one-ton diesel and an enclosed trailer...and your standard unit of measure for any non track-related expense becomes ‘sets of tires’

dgrobs 02-12-2018 10:42 AM

Last season, I did about 35-40 track days, both DE's and open track days at my membership track.
I added up what I thought were all the expenses involved, including, but not limited to:

Registration fees, track insurance, travel miles (fuel), track fuel, lodging, food, beverage, trailer tires and maintenance, track car maintenance items (pads, rotors, tires, etc), mods to track car, tips for instructors, cigars, track snacks, Gatorade, etc etc. All in all, think I thought of pretty much everything, but I'm sure there are expenses I left out.
When all added together, I had spent about $38,000 total on the 35 to 40 track days. Again, this is TOTAL, every little thing I could think of.

I then realized, much to my surprise, that I was spending about $1000 per day total for every day on track.

Once I realized how much I was spending, I swore I would never tell my wife and kids what that number was. I still haven't. I am not lying to her. I am just not bringing it up, and she has never really asked.

One thing is for sure. I AM NOT taking anything away from my wife and kids (financially) with my track spending. Only my time, and that, in the end, may turn out to be the biggest expense of all.
Sorry CharleyH, I added it up. I think everybody should just to see how stupidly expensive this hobby really is. Will put other things in perspective.
To the OP, be open and honest with your wife, unless that will hurt you. In that case, lie like a rug!!

multi21 02-12-2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by aryork (Post 14795809)
I'm still working negotiations with my wife

oh my... this should be good...

deny, deny, deny....

I know someone that would buy only RED P cars and keep them in his garage so his wife wouldn't know he had bought a new and upgraded one... She thought it was the same car for years...

LuigiVampa 02-12-2018 11:57 AM

Wait until you decide to go racing - it makes DE look like its free!

Every race driver out there started off by saying "I'm just going to do a couple of events and stick with a budget!"

Remember a separate bank account or credit card, where the statements are only electronic, is in the best interest of your marriage.

brownan 02-12-2018 12:03 PM

Never total the spreadsheet. That is my counsel.