Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roebling death

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018 | 10:49 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
For a relatively new instructor you post some very sage advice... thank you Dr...
Thanks Gary. I appreciate the feedback from a voice of experience.
Old 04-02-2018 | 09:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dr911
I Don't disagree with you.
But you missed the point.

The point is to have ADVANCE communication and a hard line drawn on the part of the ORGANIZERS.

As instructors, drawing a hard line is already something we are doing.

What I'm saying is organizers need to step up and convey the expectation along with what consequences people can expect if they don't comply.

It's a set up for both student and instructor when organizers have not made expectations and consequences clear in advance and are inconsistently enforcing them.

Of course I respect that you may never have made an error in judgment or felt bad about disappointing anyone or felt awkward at times, but most instructors will admit to feeling they often carry this burden alone.

The student thinks "oh my instructor isn't being fair to me" and feels resentful.

The instructor thinks "Gee I have to be the bad guy" but draws the line and spends the weekend dealing with a resentful student (although hopefully this gets better as the student improves over the course of the weekend.)

How is this fun for anyone?

I'm calling for the organizers to step up and edit some of their pre-event materials.

Its the right thing to do for their instructors, their students, safety, and will help their club's reputation.
YES! YES! YES!
Old 04-02-2018 | 09:40 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

There's good stuff here. I sent a message to John Krecek (PCA DE committee chair) suggesting he may want to read some of the thoughts in this thread.
Old 04-02-2018 | 09:40 AM
TXE36
Drifting

I Don't disagree with you.
But you missed the point.

The point is to have ADVANCE communication and a hard line drawn on the part of the ORGANIZERS.

As instructors, drawing a hard line is already something we are doing.

What I'm saying is organizers need to step up and convey the expectation along with what consequences people can expect if they don't comply.

It's a set up for both student and instructor when organizers have not made expectations and consequences clear in advance and are inconsistently enforcing them.

Of course I respect that you may never have made an error in judgment or felt bad about disappointing anyone or felt awkward at times, but most instructors will admit to feeling they often carry this burden alone.

The student thinks "oh my instructor isn't being fair to me" and feels resentful.

The instructor thinks "Gee I have to be the bad guy" but draws the line and spends the weekend dealing with a resentful student (although hopefully this gets better as the student improves over the course of the weekend.)

I'm calling for the organizers to step up and edit some of their pre-event materials.

Its the right thing to do for their instructors, their students, safety, and will help their club's reputation.
Apparently I've been fortunate. All the events I've attended in TX already have all that - I wouldn't attend one that does not. My post was merely, given that, the instructors are responsible to step up as we are the enforcement of said rules.

Carry on.

-Mike
Old 04-02-2018 | 10:45 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

If an instructor is running into this issue more than rarely, I suggest that they reconsider their approach to instructing, especially their communications with students. My students quickly discover that we're going to work hard to help the student drive better and faster, but we're going to pace ourselves, taking it a bit easy out of the gate and working systematically to improve. I've had more than a hundred students, and am not shy about doing what's needed to manage risk, but I don't recall any student complaining or implying that I held them back too much or was "unfair" in judging what they were doing well and what they needed to work on.

Quick Reply: Roebling death