Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Roebling death (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1049142-roebling-death.html)

PLNewman 02-11-2018 12:23 PM

Roebling death

From WTOC in Savannah....

One man is dead and another was seriously injured in a crash that occurred during a high-performance driver education event in Effingham County on Saturday.

A 70-year-old driver that has been described as experienced failed to properly control the vehicle and crashed the automobile shortly before the first turn on the Roebling Road Raceway. An instructor was also in the vehicle and was airlifted to a local hospital with serious injuries.

The cause of the crash is being investigated.

The Porsche Club of America was hosting the two-day event.

991carreradriver 02-11-2018 12:48 PM

Very sad news to hear.

pocotaligo 02-11-2018 12:58 PM

Was there yesterday and this am, word is driver had medical condition and did not let up into turn one. Instructor grabbed wheel to avoid car in front of them, missed that one, but was unable to avoid hitting the tire lined, earth berm nearly head on at 100mph beyond the turn.. I think instructor was the fatality, very sad, it was my first de, I left a classroom and saw the helicopter around 4 pm at turn one. Thoughts go out to both and to the corner worker who was first on the scene, he was shaken.

PLNewman 02-11-2018 01:01 PM

Blue Run Group. Driver's wife was trackside.

ProCoach 02-11-2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by pocotaligo (Post 14793937)
Was there yesterday and this am, word is driver had medical condition and did not let up into turn one. Instructor grabbed wheel to avoid car in front of them, missed that one, but was unable to avoid hitting the tire lined, earth berm nearly head on at 100mph beyond the turn.. I think instructor was the fatality, very sad, it was my first de, I left a classroom and saw the helicopter around 4 pm at turn one. Thoughts go out to both and to the corner worker who was first on the scene, he was shaken.

Think I saw your post in thehulltruth.

Sorry for this experience, and prayers to the deceased's family and the injured occupant.

There was a medical event for a driver at an HSR event a few years ago that ended the same way. No passenger, but same place.

Manager Jack Abbott and the Buccaneer Region-SCCA, the owners of the track, have done a great job in moving the perimeter of the track back.

But, at that point, it is one of the fastest tracks in the Southeast, and there is a public road just on the other side.

Again, big prayers and thoughts for the Region organizers.

ExMB 02-11-2018 01:16 PM

This was posted yesterday and then deleted again; out of respect I presume.

ProCoach 02-11-2018 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by PLNewman (Post 14793860)
From WTOC in Savannah....

The Porsche Club of America was hosting the two-day event.

Three-day. There was an instructor clinic and Level II certification going on Friday, IIRC.

Coochas 02-11-2018 01:52 PM

Deepest sympathy to the the family of the deceased and a full recovery to the survivor in the car.
This can happen to ANY of us and it is so sobering when a tragedy like this happens.

Blue Chip 02-11-2018 02:09 PM

The fatality was the student, not the instructor. The instructor suffered multiple serious injuries.

There is a ton of heresay right now as to what happened - however, the truth is - most is pure speculation and conjecture.

David993S 02-11-2018 02:10 PM

Very sad news. Condolences to the family/friends of the deceased, and let's pray the injured person recovers.

ProCoach 02-11-2018 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Chip (Post 14794084)
The fatality was the student, not the instructor. The instructor suffered multiple serious injuries.

There is a ton of heresay right now as to what happened - however, the truth is - most is pure speculation and conjecture.

I assume your first two sentences are not heresay. This was reported by WTOC, the local TV station.

The truth is that it's a tragedy, no matter what's out there.

Nickshu 02-11-2018 02:49 PM

Very sad to hear. Prayers to everyone involved.

NaroEscape 02-11-2018 03:18 PM

Very sad, prayers and condolences to everyone involved. Unless it was pure vehicle failure, hopefully (and unfortunately) we can learn something from this incident and put a procedure in place to mitigate this risk in the future. Obviously not knowing what caused it, but tragedies like this unfortunately seem to be how we learn to make things better and safer in the future.

Gofishracing 02-11-2018 03:32 PM

"word is driver had medical condition and did not let up into turn one " This is a big concern. Medical condition & DE ?

DTMiller 02-11-2018 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gofishracing (Post 14794256)
"word is driver had medical condition and did not let up into turn one " This is a big concern. Medical condition & DE ?

I'm reading that as "had a heart attack" or something like that, not a known preexisting condition.