Sponsored by:

Roebling death

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 01:36 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
A bad driver is unpredictable (over-brakes, doesn't understand the line, etc.) regardless of the speed/power of his car, hence much more dangerous.

The problem with slow and unpredictable drivers in advanced groups comes much more from bad driver-promotion policies and ego (refusal to "self-demote" to a group more appropriate to one's skill and speed after he was wrongfully "promoted") than from speed/power differential of the cars. I've seen instructors(!) who lack the skills to be in the Red (instructors) or Black groups, which only gets compounded when their car is slow, to boot.
Well sort of? I never came to racing via a regimented HPDE program. I was never drilled "the line". In fact in racing the new racers are often easy pickings because they drive the line and they are dangerous because they do not know when someone is going to take their apex because they think they own the line. New guys and deeply ingrained time trial guys are the ones most likely to chop you. I would think HPDE would teach at some point how to color outside the line. There are many times that using a different line is important. IMO the only thing a driver being overtaken has to do is hold "his" line. I don't care what line he is on. There are only a few simple rules to keep people safe. If he overbrakes and that effects you that's your awareness problem. Finally, there are those who can't do but teach. Some of the finest teachers I have ever had in multiple disciplines failed in the real world. I have also known genius who could not teach you how to tie your shoe.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

How can so many people write so many pages that have no bearing on the particular situation that began this thread
Old 03-24-2018, 04:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
How can so many people write so many pages that have no bearing on the particular situation that began this thread
It's Rennlist, it's what we do..

Now let's get back to wild speculation..
Old 03-24-2018, 07:18 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you say there was a bearing failure??
Old 03-24-2018, 08:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

still no dog pictures...
Old 03-24-2018, 08:41 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

delete
Old 03-25-2018, 02:25 AM
Nonsequitur
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's settle some of this. Who would help me (offline) to validate information collected on 9, maybe 10, fatality incidents since 1999 that I believe would be classified as HPDE? That's the number; not four per year or some other rumor, nor multiples of those numbers. 3 of those have a medical factor. I have data from the often referenced databases, as well as incomplete media articles, some videos, obituaries and references (like a coroner report). Not enough, but this start has produced names, dates, locations and other details that has been partially investigated to produce opinion and/or conclusions. We will find that more investigation is needed, but this is not on a huge number of incidents even if we find more incidents. PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:38 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Regardless as to how much we as a community can influence driver safety here is something we can all agree on
Thanks John for the posting
Rich

"GoFundMe page for injured Roebling instructor"

Patrick Wilson's Road to Recovery

Regardless of any personal or pca insurance you can bet, he will have uncovered expenses and lost income...
Old 03-25-2018, 09:49 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
Any updates on the Instructor?

Regardless of any personal or pca insurance you can bet, he will have uncovered expenses and lost income...
Donors get the email updates which I think are also on the gofundme page. From March 5:

https://www.gofundme.com/patrickwilsonsrecoveryfund

“Patrick has completed rehab and is now home!
He has another 10 weeks in the neck and back brace and will continue with physical and occupational therapy three times a week. He’s on his feet, walking with a walker. New scans showed that his pelvis is not fractured. Praise God!
Thank you once again for your prayers, well wishes, and donations to his GoFundMe campaign! He is feeling the love and support!”

They are $3500 short of their $50k goal, so...

Old 03-25-2018, 10:19 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Originally Posted by Nonsequitur
Let's settle some of this. Who would help me (offline) to validate information collected on 9, maybe 10, fatality incidents since 1999 that I believe would be classified as HPDE? That's the number; not four per year or some other rumor, nor multiples of those numbers. 3 of those have a medical factor. I have data from the often referenced databases, as well as incomplete media articles, some videos, obituaries and references (like a coroner report). Not enough, but this start has produced names, dates, locations and other details that has been partially investigated to produce opinion and/or conclusions. We will find that more investigation is needed, but this is not on a huge number of incidents even if we find more incidents. PM.
Maybe you can list just the track/year of those incidents here, and people can add to that list.

I really doubt that the average will be as much as 3-4 fatalities per year. If someone dies in a DE, the news tends to spread quickly. Doesn't seem plausible that there were numerous DE fatalities that were kept hush hush.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:53 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Originally Posted by hf1
Donors get the email updates which I think are also on the gofundme page. From March 5:
https://www.gofundme.com/patrickwilsonsrecoveryfund

They are $3500 short of their $50k goal, so...

I didn't get emails, and try not to use FB. last update I saw was 19 days ago.

Glad to hear the good news!
Old 03-25-2018, 02:04 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also receive the updates, but haven't seen one in 19 days as well
Old 03-25-2018, 02:18 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Nonsequitur
I googled and found these...would need to go back through the links to glean/tabulate more information...[Ugh! lost the table formatting, so pasted as image]
Old 03-25-2018, 03:10 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Missing 2017 Speedvegas lambo incident?
Old 03-25-2018, 03:38 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
Missing 2017 Speedvegas lambo incident?
That wasn't a DE. Participants drive flashy cars owned by the event organizer, and they have very limited laps to get their jollies. The incident in Florida where the instructor died when the car crashed into the end of a barrier was a similar type of event. For that matter, the incident at Jefferson Circuit of Summit Point also wasn't a DE, since participants drove only a few laps (in their own cars), so there wasn't the more systematic and controlled learning process of a multi-session, multi-day DE. IMO, events where participants are just doing a few laps, especially in someone else's fast and unfamiliar car, are a bad idea, though I bet they're quite profitable for the event organizers.

Quick Reply: Roebling death