Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to get an entry level racing helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 03:36 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default where to get an entry level racing helmet?

Hi, I have just recently gotten hooked on autocross (1 event so far). I realzed that next event, I am going to want my own helmet, rather than sitting in queue for a loaner helmet.

So what is a good entry level helmet, and where can I get it?
Major emphasis on being affordable, then comfort, and ability to hear and see out of it.

I realize that affordable may not be the best protection, but it seems the helmet is a formality for an event that takes place on street tires in a parking lot. Its not like you can roll your car in an AutoX.

So, suggestions are welcome!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a cheap-a$$ miser, yet I don't feel compelled to spend top $$$ if I can't see the benefit. I use GForce helmets & have been very happy w. them. My previous helmet was a Bell, don't see a difference.

One dealer is www.racerwholesale.com

Get an SA2000 rated helmet, and I'd recommend full-face.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:08 PM
Jerry Ljung
Advanced

ummm.

You may not get many replies to this on the surface sensible request for information. On the other hand, it may have been long enough so that everyone will jump in .

*Very* few will advise you to get a *cheap* helmet, for resons which .... well. Someone may have advice on the least expensive places to buy respected helmets. If you have a particular model in mind, people will be helpful in this regard.

My take on numerous threads dealing with this:

a) $100 head ? $100 helmet OK.

b) try several brands and models before deciding.

c1) even if your regulating body allows it, don't get a motorcycle helmet, the kinds of impacts an M, and SA helmet are designed for, are different.

c2) if you wear glasses, get a wide-port ( Bell M2 comes to mind )

d) try several brands and models before deciding.

Best of luck in your search, and have a blast autocrossing!

Jerry
Old 12-21-2003, 10:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Re: where to get an entry level racing helmet?

Originally posted by patrat
Its not like you can roll your car in an AutoX.
Stick around long enough and you might see it happen. While rare, roll-overs do occur in autocrosses, the organizers most definitely taking a stance that safety is more than a "formality". Similarly, fatalities in club racing are rare but that's no reasonfor all involved to not emphasize caution. Please don't think that just because you are on street tires that you will not be generating enough cornering force to hurt yourself.

OG Racing has a nice Bell M2 helmet for $300 or so. If you can, find a place that you can try on helmets, and get a salesperson who knows how to properly fit one for you. It needs to be just right.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:51 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Robert Henriksen
I'm not a cheap-a$$ miser, yet I don't feel compelled to spend top $$$ if I can't see the benefit. I use GForce helmets & have been very happy w. them. My previous helmet was a Bell, don't see a difference.

One dealer is www.racerwholesale.com

Get an SA2000 rated helmet, and I'd recommend full-face.
I concur with Robert. The more I look over my G-Force, the more I think it's better quality than my Bell Sport II. Don't pass on G-Force because of price. They make a great product. Check them out.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:53 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

(to Jerry)

Hm -- I'm not advocating the $50 helmet route; but if you can get a snell SA2000 rated helmet for $150 from vendorA, and a snell SA2000 rated helmet from vendorB for $300, I haven't found a compelling safety reason to choose vendorB. In other words, I can't find any evidence that the $300 SA2000 helmet is safer than the $150 SA2000 helmet.

I'm very willing & happy to be educated to the contrary!
Old 12-22-2003, 03:30 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The '$100 head/$100 helmet' nonsense is salesmen talk, pure and simple. (All of Jerry's other points are spot-on, though.)

Helmet manufacturers make their helmets strong enough to meet the Snell tests. I've never seen one advertise that their higher-priced helmets are safer than the cheaper ones.

There are some concrete differences between helmets, of course. Open face versus full face is a meaningful difference. (Although I'm in the group that thinks the benefit of full-face is minimal when you're in a full race harness.) SA versus M is meaningful, since M does not provide the same level of fire safety. Lighter helmets are nice (but not necessarily safer). Better ventilation is nice (but not necessarily safer).

There are some real advantages to higher-priced helmets, but safety is not one of them. The entry level Bell or G-Force are just as safe as their $800 models.

In my opinion (and I've crashed), it makes MUCH more sense to invest $200 in a helmet and $700 in an Isaac (or Hans device) than it does to invest more than $500 in a helmet.

I'm also happy to be educated to the contrary. But in these internet discussions, no one's ever convinced me.

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2003, 04:51 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: where to get an entry level racing helmet?

Originally posted by patrat
Its not like you can roll your car in an AutoX.
Don't think so? I saw a guy up on 2 wheels, thisssss close to rolling over. I can't find the link, but I seem to remember not long ago someone getting killed at an autocross.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are VERY few injuries in autocrosses, and most occur because someone ran off course and hit curbing or went into a ditch (don't I know) or there was a light pole/concrete pylon support in their way.

Some of these incidents can be blamed on poor course layout, some an overzealous driver.

Either way, a helmet is necessary just in case fate steps in and decides you need a good scare.

While I agree that SA2000 is SA2000, I would guess that some of the more expensive helmets FAR exceed the standard with various design/support, etc.

My guess is that $250 - $300 will put you in good hands...a Bell M2 or Bieffe Predator, G-force ____, etc. comes to mind.

If your local region or other autocross organization allows an "M" rated helmet, you could probably get off a lot cheaper...the main difference is that often the lining in the "M" rated helmets is not fire-retardant.

This is what I'm to understand is the main difference, although I'm not sure?

The 'ol "$100 helmet for a $100 head" addage - I dunno about that, but it's fun to say to someone that's considering a helmet!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by JackOlsen
Open face versus full face is a meaningful difference. (Although I'm in the group that thinks the benefit of full-face is minimal when you're in a full race harness.)
Actually, there have been many cases of people hitting the steering wheel with their face (open face) or helmet (full face) in a crash. Belts stretch and so does the human body. It may seem like you couldn't hit the steering wheel with your face when belted in nice and tight, but it does happen. Open face helmets should be a thing of the past, especially with reasonably priced forced air helmets.

Originally posted by JackOlsen
Lighter helmets are nice (but not necessarily safer).
I'll disagree here as well. If you can save one pound in the weight of the helmet, in a 50g collision (not unheard of, even in club racing), that is 50 lbs less force on your neck. This was yet another reason I chose the G-Force helmet. It's a Kevlar helmet and when it's on your head you can really feel the difference in weight. In this case, it probably saves about a half pound compared with my Bell Sport II, but every little bit helps.

I used to think the Kevlar helmets were really just for formula car drivers and people with money to burn until someone pointed out the benefits in a high g crash.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:18 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Jeff Curtis
If your local region or other autocross organization allows an "M" rated helmet, you could probably get off a lot cheaper...the main difference is that often the lining in the "M" rated helmets is not fire-retardant.

This is what I'm to understand is the main difference, although I'm not sure?
That and the SA helmets are allowed a smaller eye port. Lastly, Snell adds a third anvil to the test.

For more about the differences, go to http://www.smf.org
Old 12-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

The argument of lighter weight = safer due to less force on the neck is a reasonable one. While I agree that club racing can probably generate a 50g crash, I'm kind of doubtful that it would be very likely in an autocross. Lighter weight in club racing can also reduce driver fatigue, especially during an enduro.

But Jack's suggestion of buying the less expensive, somewhat heavier helmet & putting the proceeds towards a HANS/etc is a stronger safety argument. If you look at the overload on the neck that a 50g wreck puts on the neck (at www.hansdevice.com white paper), one pound weight savings on the helmet won't be enough to save your life.

But again, this part of the conversation is really geared towards club racing, not autocross.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Typically, more expensive helmets are sold by 'brand name' manufacturers: Bell, Biofe (sp?) ...etc. A 'no-name' brand, or a brand just getting established has to sell their product for less in order to make sales. Some new companies are great, others are questionable: do your research!

That said, I third the vote for G-Force. I have a G-Force hybrid helmet, and it cost $200. The equivalent type of helmet by Simpson would run over $300. Here's a pic of my helmet:

However, when comparing helmets with a specific vendor, the most expensive ones tend to be lighter, and have more comfort features cooling vents, better fit...etc).

Regarding open face vs. closed face helmets: while it's not a big difference at the autocross events, you should consider a full face type helmet: eventually, you may want to try a PCA Driver's Ed event, and a closed face helmet is safer. I used to have an open faced helmet, and found that the closed face helmet offers greater protection: even under normal driving conditions, debris can fly into your car, and smack you on the face!

-Z.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:26 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the GForce are a great value.

I suggest you go with closed helmet. They offer much better protection and if you go open face, you may have to replace it if you change what you are doing in the next couple of years.

SOME of the high end helmets improve safety with stronger materials and better fit (through changable padding) BUT for the most part, price is driven up by using lighter weight materials and better (non-safety) hardware, such as visor hardware, vents, etc plus aero features. As long as it is rated SA, you should be good.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:55 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

There's some great advice here. Just make sure that you try some different helmets on. I was surprised at how different some of them fit my head. Just like there is more than one head shape, there is more than one helmet shape. It makes a difference. Spend more money if there is a chance that you'll do some "full-sized" race track events, and consider SA2000 to ensure that you'll be legal for years to come.

Good

Quick Reply: where to get an entry level racing helmet?