Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbour Freight Generators - Looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 09:28 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Honda EU7000is that has never worked worth a damn. In for diagnosis/repair right now. I guess I am very unlucky.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:44 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 359 Likes on 253 Posts

Used to have the Honda EU2000i to power a set of Chicken Hawk tire warmers on my moto but sold it when I got out of club racing 10 yrs ago. I got back in to track days and bought the 2000W HF generator. It sounds and operates just like the Honda for more than half the price. When HF released them, there weren't available in CA due to CARB restrictions but now they are available. In a nutshell, Predator and Smarter Tools figured out the Honda and Yamaha inverters ever since Yamaha outsourced manufacturing to China. You're buying a re-skinned EU2000i and I definitely recommend the HF, especially from it's price point and they are quiet like the Honda versions.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:05 PM
Sebastian Grey
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh thanks for the info. I feel like there are so many options when it comes to picking a generator. I am actually shocked that there are so many many options out there these days. I have been picking one before the freaking Corona pandemic struck and I have been strangled at home. Since I was not able to go outside and actually pick one at the store I had to resort to the online picking. I was not really knowledgeable about generators in the past so I always relied on the info the support at the store gave me. I went online to find the necessary information and I found this really cool website:https://generatorpalace.com/honda-eu2200i-review/ It's been extremely useful and really helped me to figure out what I actually need and what will suit best for me.

Last edited by Sebastian Grey; 06-04-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:12 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have to revise my opinion on HF generators...Bought one two season ago....and it has been awesome ! Quiet and reliable !
Old 06-02-2020, 05:07 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

It goes on sale every couple of months for 699.00. I bought one at the end of last year but have yet to use it. The reviews on youtube are very good,
Old 06-02-2020, 10:21 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

We have that HF 3500. Bought it in a crazy sale at i think $659. Spent $20 for an extended warranty. It’s quiet, and it works. Ran the AC in our trailer. Very satisfied.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 06-03-2020, 10:38 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I bought one from Northern Tools a few years ago, it has been fantastic. It is only 4 db louder than the honda (52 vs 48) and is half the price. Over the years I've used it many times at the track to run fans, air compressors, etc. I decided to put it to the test a few weeks ago and plugged my motorhome to it via the 30 amp plug. I was easily able to run one of the two AC, frig and accessories. I am thinking about buying another, that way I can link them and use a double 30 amp to single 50 amp plug to power the entire RV in case my 8K diesel gen fails.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3983_200623983

Do your research, there are many good generators out there that are much less than the Honda that will do the job and last. Powerhorse makes one in the size you are looking for https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0221_200660221
Old 06-03-2020, 05:17 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
What will you use it for?

No experience with that particular one, but if you plan to use it in the paddock, please do the rest of us a favor and buy a quiet one... Nothing worse than being paddocked next to "that guy".

HFT = LOUD
Old 06-03-2020, 06:19 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
HFT = LOUD
Non-Inverter = Loud.

An inverter generator allows the engine to run at minimum RPM to power the load. The engine drives a DC generator and that DC is turned to AC by the inverter. There is no dependency between output frequency and engine RPM.

Direct AC generators have to run at a specific RPM, usually 900, 1800 or 3600, to maintain the 60Hz frequency because they generate the AC directly -> engine RPM determines output frequency. For gasoline powered direct AC generators, this means they have to run at 3600 RPM all the time and it makes them loud.

Direct diesel AC generators are quieter because they can chug it out at 900 or 1800. Put a really big muffler on one of these and you can barely hear it running and these are quieter than even the gas inverter types.

Downside of most inverter generators is lack of 220V - not an problem at the track.

The 212 engine HF uses is a Honda clone and can even use Honda parts. They have a good reputation. I would be more concerned about the inverter electronics.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Non-Inverter = Loud.

An inverter generator allows the engine to run at minimum RPM to power the load. The engine drives a DC generator and that DC is turned to AC by the inverter. There is no dependency between output frequency and engine RPM.

Direct AC generators have to run at a specific RPM, usually 900, 1800 or 3600, to maintain the 60Hz frequency because they generate the AC directly -> engine RPM determines output frequency. For gasoline powered direct AC generators, this means they have to run at 3600 RPM all the time and it makes them loud.

Direct diesel AC generators are quieter because they can chug it out at 900 or 1800. Put a really big muffler on one of these and you can barely hear it running and these are quieter than even the gas inverter types.

Downside of most inverter generators is lack of 220V - not an problem at the track.

The 212 engine HF uses is a Honda clone and can even use Honda parts. They have a good reputation. I would be more concerned about the inverter electronics.
You have obviously not heard the diesel gensets at the track at midnight.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:14 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You have obviously not heard the diesel gensets at the track at midnight.
I didn't say they were all quiet, only that they can be quiet... No way a direct drive gasser will ever be quiet.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:43 PM
Zauskycop
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...well, my first post here, but at least I know what I’m talking about. Predator 3500 is actually an awesome generator. I own a Honda 2000, maintain the club’s Honda 3000s (2) and last year bought the Predator 3500 for myself. It’s been great. I believe HF worked very hard to reverse engineer a Honda when they built it...so much so that Honda tried suing them.

It’s almost exactly as quiet as a Honda 3000, 14 hours (by my watch) run time unloaded. My 2 pieces of advice.
A.Get the extended warranty. Not that I’ve had any problem, but just in case you get a clunker...it’s STILL a grand cheaper than a Honda
B. Either get used to cleaning the carbon off the spark arrestor say every 50 hours (it clogs up and makes the generator run badly) OR remove it altogether (what I did). It will then run a TAD louder but then no spark arrestor worries.

I now have over 300 hours on mine with zero issues!

Tracy R
2012 Cayman R in my future
Old 06-03-2020, 09:27 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the 3500 listed with some decent time on it. Very quiet, tons of power. Runs the A/c and heat while running other accessories without blinking. Picked it up for $689, just wait for the right coupon.

As stated, clean or remove the spark jobbie, turn the ****, push the start button and enjoy.

my only gripe is the wheels suck since we park in grass / dirt for kart racing. Minor issue in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:52 AM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Honda for sure. Use ethanol-free fuel if you can, but that goes for any generator/small carbed engine.

Quick Reply: Harbour Freight Generators - Looking for opinions