Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People who overstate their driving ability. The reality of correcting oversteer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:46 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought I was a good/better than average driver until I started coaching part time at the Porsche Experience Center a few years ago. Found out quickly when on the wet, polished concrete low friction circle & polished concrete (no water unless it rains) low friction handing course that I wasn't as good as I thought! The customers all seem to enjoy popping the throttle to induce O/S but really seem to benefit from experiencing weight transfer generated O/S.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:53 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Are you sure you can say that about all cars? Maybe that is a porsche PSM thing? On vette you can and we do turn off traction control. Only ABS is active. If the PCM had some logic to allow a full lock when you totally lost it how does the car know if you got TC off? The car needs active steering wheel sensor, wheel speed sensors and yaw sensor to know you are out of control. I'm not arguing but trying to learn. I have heard some people complain that you can turn off Porsche PSM and it can come back on if it senses something crazy. If so what Mike says makes sense. I unfortunately know from experience and having the back end of my Vette taken off when I spun with both feet in and instead of leaving the track in a straight line the car fought for grip and ricocheted back into traffic and was introduced to the front end of a BMW. Both feet in is the mantra that started when there was no ABS. It totally makes sense. It seems that it is still followed and still taught but I question the validity of it with ABS. Fortunately it has been a very long time since I have spun off a track.
Since 2017 Sport Chrono equipped cars have a sport setting in PSM between full on and full off. Great option.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:05 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
And I'm really surprised nobody else has mentioned it, but I think the absolute very best way to build muscle memory for oversteer correction is go-karts. Like, the go-kart tracks you've probably take your kids to. (Don't knock it, it's cheap and super fun!) Each kart handles differently, and it's a great exercise at car control and learning to drive around handling issues. If you ask them for their loosest kart, you're almost assured of practicing countersteering in every corner and it will become second nature in a session or two: it's an invaluable skill and those reflexes transfer directly to cars.
That was kind of the point of my thread.
Counter-steering kiddy karts at 10mph shares some similarity with countersteer at 70mph in a real car.
But, there is only so much under your control at 70mph, I would think.
So, I think stuff like kiddy karts gives people a false sense of bravado.
(I can correct my way out of anything!!)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Counter-steering kiddy karts at 10mph shares some similarity with countersteer at 70mph in a real car.
The video of Kimi shows control at 100+ mph. But he's Kimi ...
Old 02-27-2018, 09:14 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Couter-steering kart-track karts at 10mph (or more realistically 35+mph) is the exact same reflexes as a car, the difference in speed is more mental than anything else. The biggest difference is vehicle handing and the degree of countersteering and throttle necessary to recover, and that's something that also takes practice in that specific vehicle to properly hone so that you don't overcorrect into a tirewall. Unfortunately, it's neither safe nor practical to practice slide recovery at 100mph, but lower speed skid pads and autocross are other great ways to build that skill to increase your chances of a successful recovery when it does happen. Even if you got the reflexes from karting or video games, it's going to really reduce the amount of actual in-car time necessary and your chances of success.

That doesn't mean you can defy the laws of physics, but lots of practice of oversteer recovery (by any method) comes with a lot of firsthand knowledge of FAILURE, many times, and also on what causes that oversteer to begin with, and how to keep it from happening before it even starts. It's going to make you much less likely to get into that sort of situation in the first place. And, realistically, if you're skilled enough to correct oversteer 100% of the time in every go-kart, skidpad, and autocross element, you're probably going to be successful on the track, too.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:47 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
And he knows what he's doing, so leave him alone.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:22 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Kimi's just straight-up drifting most of that video.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:31 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
THIS
Old 02-28-2018, 07:58 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Drive some 2stroke karts. Much different than the slow arrive and drive stuff you get at karting places.

It's really hard to spin the 4k stroke junk you get. The much faster 2 strokes are more inline with performance driving.

I personally hold throttle, counter, catch, and get back into it after the weight has settled. If it's oversteer on entry, atleast on my Z06's, you're better off adding throttle (just very lightly) to add some weight back on the rear end to catch it. I'm sure there's a fancy term for it.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:28 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

What do you all think of iRacing dirt mode? To me, it actually feels the most true to life for what iRacing offers. It seems like a great way to practice some of the concepts discussed earlier in this thread.

While I would love to get access to a skidpad to work on these skills, it is not always easily accessible. The cost of messing up is so high that I would love to work on these skills. Spending a day at an autocross may also help except the time/reward of autocross with a young family is not always attractive.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:12 PM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
What do you all think of iRacing dirt mode? To me, it actually feels the most true to life for what iRacing offers. It seems like a great way to practice some of the concepts discussed earlier in this thread.

While I would love to get access to a skidpad to work on these skills, it is not always easily accessible. The cost of messing up is so high that I would love to work on these skills. Spending a day at an autocross may also help except the time/reward of autocross with a young family is not always attractive.
I like iRacing for training. Dirt is definitely a good intro to oversteer. It's more forgiving than asphalt and your slip angle and ratio peaks will be higher, but it's the same technique. I think the 410 non winged sprint car is a bunch of fun. For training for real life asphalt you'll eventually want to practice that in the sim though. I like the skidpad and special loose setups for that.

Quick Reply: People who overstate their driving ability. The reality of correcting oversteer.