Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transponders at Sebring club race?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018 | 11:30 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Sounds like it's time to get a backup old transponder?
Old 01-26-2018 | 12:43 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

The new transponders suck. I've had mine for a while and have had many problems with it. Just updated all the firmware AGAIN so we will see if it works this time. You'll know if you see me at the back of the grid after the first session if it's still messed up. Have a back up ready to go. So frustrating.

Stu
Old 01-26-2018 | 01:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smf32s
The new transponders suck. I've had mine for a while and have had many problems with it. Just updated all the firmware AGAIN so we will see if it works this time. You'll know if you see me at the back of the grid after the first session if it's still messed up. Have a back up ready to go. So frustrating.

Stu
Stu - Talk to Timing and Scoring when you get there, maybe you can run both and then if both work remove one. I "rented" one from them after my X2 failed to register (yep, back of the pack for Practice #2!) and my wrench updated mine AND we ran the old rechargeable borrowed one. Both registered, gave the old one back and went from there.
Old 01-26-2018 | 04:56 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Stu - Talk to Timing and Scoring when you get there, maybe you can run both and then if both work remove one. I "rented" one from them after my X2 failed to register (yep, back of the pack for Practice #2!) and my wrench updated mine AND we ran the old rechargeable borrowed one. Both registered, gave the old one back and went from there.
Thanks. Good idea. I'll see if my crew can do that.

Stu
Old 01-26-2018 | 11:34 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dizzyj
Sounds like it's time to get a backup old transponder?
Easy to check with an AM radio at home. PCA rents transponders so there is a backup solution.
Old 01-27-2018 | 01:49 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

From PCA:
Transponder clarification:

The old Trans-X transponders will continue to work with the PCA Timing and Scoring system for as long as those transponders are functional. After that time, as the old Trans-X transponders are no longer repaired/supported by MyLaps, you will need to purchase a new transponder with a subscription from MyLaps.

More information available: http://pcaclubracing.org/transponders
Old 01-27-2018 | 08:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Make SURE you coordinate with T&S first, if you try this. The tester at Tech should be able to tell. As someone who's worked T&S and as an event organizer, unassociated transponders (moving transponders from car to car, having a transponder on a car that is not in the database for the event, having two transponders on) can REALLY screw up the works.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-27-2018 | 08:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Make SURE you coordinate with T&S first, if you try this. The tester at Tech should be able to tell. As someone who's worked T&S and as an event organizer, unassociated transponders (moving transponders from car to car, having a transponder on a car that is not in the database for the event, having two transponders on) can REALLY screw up the works.
Absolutely.. IF they let you do it you will obviously need to give them both transponder serial numbers also. As they had both my X2's and their own unit associated with me they knew exactly what was going on.
Old 01-27-2018 | 08:57 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Make SURE you coordinate with T&S first, if you try this.
^^^ This

They cannot check transponders at Tech.

Also: ALWAYS check the results sheet from Practice 1
Old 01-27-2018 | 09:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Oops, sorry for spreading that misinformation.

Nearly every race series I participate in has an AMB test device that they wave under the transponder area with the key on. It’s about 6” x 3” x 2”, battery powered and has a signal strength indicator and identifier, IIRC.

i just assumed PCA Club Racing did, too...

Perhaps that might be a wise investment, as much trouble as I know there is with these things.
Old 01-27-2018 | 09:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Easy to check with an AM radio at home. PCA rents transponders so there is a backup solution.
Here’s a YouTube of the AM radio check Frank references:
Old 01-27-2018 | 09:16 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oops, sorry for spreading that misinformation.

Nearly every race series I participate in has an AMB test device that they wave under the transponder area with the key on. It’s about 6” x 3” x 2”, battery powered and has a signal strength indicator and identifier, IIRC.

i just assumed PCA Club Racing did, too...

Perhaps that might be a wise investment, as much trouble as I know there is with these things.
Good idea. Will add that to the list if we have some budget leftover for this year.
Old 01-27-2018 | 09:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

^^^ This

Also: ALWAYS check the results sheet from Practice 1
Get RaceHero app (or RaceMonitor) and you can check results the minute you pit in on any smart phone, or your crew can check live and bring you in to try and fix it after 1 lap.. Sucks running your best lap time ever and coming it to find out it didn't register and now you are at the back of the pack (good luck putting that time down again..). Love the AM radio check, worth adding one to the toolbox just for that!
Old 01-27-2018 | 12:33 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Going on a rant about the new transponder hoping they fix the thing one day. They are overly finicky and often do not work. In SM your starting point is everything and you do not get practice laps with SCCA. Bad transponder = ruined race. If you connect transponder and key to a PC and get the right lights the night before a race then it usually will work the weekend. PITA, take transponder off car - which you should never have to do as it is direct power - pug into USB on laptop, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

If this were a real consumer company that did not have a monopoly they would be out of business.
Old 01-27-2018 | 08:42 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I was told as recently as last week by MyLaps that the old transponders will always be supported.

Also there is no handheld device that can check TX numbers. All the handheld does is verify a signal is being received. This is direct from mylaps.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Quick Reply: Transponders at Sebring club race?