Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in the Midwest selling a caged 944/Miata/etc?

Old 01-22-2018, 08:27 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone in the Midwest selling a caged 944/Miata/etc?

Here's the scoop. Last year started doing hpde using a 930. Had a ball... Then car started acting up, found a broken head stud and cam wear, so rebuilding the motor... Which should have taken 3 months, but with life being what it is, will probably take a year...

at the same time, my kids got their liscenses, and want to do autocross...

so for several months I have been looking for a suitable car for them, that I can also use until mine gets fixed... Really can't justify another expensive car. Already have a couple of those. Want something relatively cheap, if one of us totals it, it's no big deal.

missed out on some great local cars. One guy was selling a spec Miata with a recent motor rebuild for $6000. I was second in line... No go.

saw another guy in Milwaukee selling a v8 caged 944 for 10k, then the ad got pulled due to winter... Anyone know that car?

saw an ad for a boxster with a recent ims, some dents, for $5000. Missed that...

looking at some not caged 944s and miatas this week.

Also looking at a caged bmw z3, but it's a 1.9... Not really what I started out looking for. But it's track prepped, and cheap. It was a track rental car, so it's probably been beat to hell...

ideally would love something that's caged, cheaper, and not particularly powerful as I don't want my kids to do something stupid. Local preferred, as I would like to see it. Traveling cross country or shipping a sub $10,000 car is financially not worth it. Missing work, and adding shipping costs makes a local car preferable...

so, anyone have something local they were planning to put up for sale soon? I have 2-3 cars I am looking at this week. I just don't want to buy one, and then my perfect car comes up for sale a week later...

thanks,

bo
Old 01-22-2018, 10:23 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd see if you can locate a E36 M3 set up to run track events, hard to beat for the $$. There are plenty around for sale.
Phil
Old 01-22-2018, 10:47 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of a very solid 944 Spec car for sale 2 hours west of Chicago. Pretty sure it could be had in the mid $8K range. I used to race that car, and won a national championship in it. My neighbor has owned it for years, and raced it a little. It's a competitive car, and recently mechanically refreshed.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:17 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Lots of spec Miatas in the midwest - look at SCCA classified. There are also several race shops around Blackhawk Farms in South Beloit and around Road America, or Autobahn CC near Joliet. I had two for a while when my sons and I raced them. Great fun and safe for not a lot of $$.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 AM
wellcoached
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

944 SP2 car is for sale in the marketplace section.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post14745215

Worth the trip, honest seller.

Last edited by wellcoached; 01-23-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:28 AM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
I know of a very solid 944 Spec car for sale 2 hours west of Chicago. Pretty sure it could be had in the mid $8K range. I used to race that car, and won a national championship in it. My neighbor has owned it for years, and raced it a little. It's a competitive car, and recently mechanically refreshed.
eric, do you have contact info for the seller? Would love to see it...

bo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone in the Midwest selling a caged 944/Miata/etc?