Sponsored by:

COTA Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 02:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
I heard from Tracey, since Edge has not technically certified me as solo, then I'm not yet... she encouraged me to do Cresson, get solo certified there.
I misunderstood your yellow rating. The PCA regions in TX all have agreed on 1 rating system that may or may not align/agree with other organizations putting on HPDE events in TX.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:29 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
I misunderstood your yellow rating. The PCA regions in TX all have agreed on 1 rating system that may or may not align/agree with other organizations putting on HPDE events in TX.
I think Edge matched up - they have Blue, Yellow, Red. Red is 2:40 or better at COTA solo only, Yellow is something like 3:10 or better, Blue is below. Within Blue they have solo or non, and I guess they can have Yellow Solo or non. I was told they will only certify solo in their org after at least two events, despite I can solo at Driveway already. Will get there.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:52 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

I think Edge matched up - they have Blue, Yellow, Red. Red is 2:40 or better at COTA solo only, Yellow is something like 3:10 or better, Blue is below. Within Blue they have solo or non, and I guess they can have Yellow Solo or non. I was told they will only certify solo in their org after at least two events, despite I can solo at Driveway already. Will get there.
TX PCA's are

Green
Blue
Blue Solo
Yellow
White
Red

AFAIK

So, not a match or alignment.

And just using a time base is wrong IMHO. There is a lot more to it. Go to the Maverick PCA website and look at their group promotion requirements to gain a better understanding.

Link
Old 01-19-2018, 04:07 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

TX PCA's are

Green
Blue
Blue Solo
Yellow
White
Red

AFAIK

So, not a match or alignment.

And just using a time base is wrong IMHO. There is a lot more to it. Go to the Maverick PCA website and look at their group promotion requirements to gain a better understanding.

Link
I don't think they just use a time base - or I'd be solo... I fully understand there is a lot more to it than just going fast! That said, if you are running at 2:49, you don't want to be in a group of cars running 3:20 - trust me - I learned that real quick. I started Blue and that was a frustrating experience.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't think they just use a time base - or I'd be solo... I fully understand there is a lot more to it than just going fast! That said, if you are running at 2:49, you don't want to be in a group of cars running 3:20 - trust me - I learned that real quick. I started Blue and that was a frustrating experience.
Is 2:49 fast?
Old 01-19-2018, 07:00 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Faster than 3:20.... Being in a run group with 45 cars on a 3min track where you are averaging 30 seconds faster than each definitely has a lot of downside.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:47 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Faster than 3:20.... Being in a run group with 45 cars on a 3min track where you are averaging 30 seconds faster than each definitely has a lot of downside.
What were passing zones? Instructor groups will typically have a ton of speed disparity but with pass anywhere with a point can allow for relatively clean laps.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:24 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Good time for a Miata depending on traffic and driver skill.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:26 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Good time for a Miata depending on traffic and driver skill.
Would be a good time for a miata.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:27 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

What were passing zones? Instructor groups will typically have a ton of speed disparity but with pass anywhere with a point can allow for relatively clean laps.
Pass on two straightaways only. I honestly don't know what a good lap time is - but it sure is a lot more fun when folks are at a similar speed.

Quick Reply: COTA Club Race