How age affects speed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Looking forward to figuring out what this means to my students (and me as their instructor),
And to me as a student of the sport.
Rick, the students that get you as an instructor are lucky. Why? Because you ask questions, you’re mind is open. You do the right thing...
Old 12-30-2017, 12:42 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Rick, the students that get you as an instructor are lucky. Why? Because you ask questions, you’re mind is open. You do the right thing...
Why thank you, Peter - that means a lot coming from you.
I have learned so much from you and others, and yet I feel as though I am barely scratching the surface.
Which is part of the fun!
Old 12-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Two words: Paul Newman
Old 12-30-2017, 12:12 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
For me it always was.

When I started I was doing PCA DE events. The habits they taught me in DE, which they told me were the fastest way around the track, were the hardest to break.

I wish they had just been honest and say, this is not the fastest, but it is the fastest we are going to teach you.

Thanks

Ed
Great post, could you please elaborate on what some of these 'DE habits' were that you had to unlearn? Second, would you say that those early habits/techniques taught at DE's were appropriate for the setting (I.e, DE's) but not suitable for racing? Basically I'm asking whether the more advanced, proper 'habits'/techniques you have since learned would be appropriate in a DE setting?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2017, 01:19 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Two words: Paul Newman
Yeah, he really started to slow down once he hit age 80 or so

I should be so lucky!

Gary
Old 12-30-2017, 02:17 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. I will be 93 on January 26, and I look forward to the PCA 48 Hours at Sebring.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:09 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I raced with Paul Newman a few times in the early 70s when he was driving a Datsun 510 and I was driving a MGB. Datsun and British Leyland rented Road Atlanta the day before the 1973 SCCA Run Offs began for their drivers and I was pitted next to Paul. Great Guy. I quit racing a few years later and although interested in motorsports, did not drive again until I "discovered" DE in 2008. I was signed off during my second event by Art Pilla and after a few more events started instructing . I'm now 73 and have been on the "Best Track Times in a GT4" leaderboard at Watkins Glen and other tracks several times. My goal at every event is to equal or exceed my personal best lap time. This doesn't always happen for a variety of reasons but it remains my goal. I study my and others data and post video and try to learn from the comments. I do the same when riding my bike on the road or the gym.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I raced with Paul Newman a few times in the early 70s when he was driving a Datsun 510 and I was driving a MGB. Datsun and British Leyland rented Road Atlanta the day before the 1973 SCCA Run Offs began for their drivers and I was pitted next to Paul. Great Guy. I quit racing a few years later and although interested in motorsports, did not drive again until I "discovered" DE in 2008. I was signed off during my second event by Art Pilla and after a few more events started instructing . I'm now 73 and have been on the "Best Track Times in a GT4" leaderboard at Watkins Glen and other tracks several times. My goal at every event is to equal or exceed my personal best lap time. This doesn't always happen for a variety of reasons but it remains my goal. I study my and others data and post video and try to learn from the comments. I do the same when riding my bike on the road or the gym.
Great story, Bill! Art Pilla was a great competitor, he mentored so many driver, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-30-2017, 03:19 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Started Autocross and Time Trial with PCA in the 80's and got my race license in 1995. So, 22+ plus years later and facing my 70th birthday am still able to drive close to my personal best lap times at most tracks that I run. I will probably hang it up when the cost to enjoyment factor starts to go negative or if trusted friends tell me that I'm making bad decisions on track. One thing that I don't do anymore is instruct. I've enough thrills from the right seat.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:12 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. I will be 93 on January 26, and I look forward to the PCA 48 Hours at Sebring.
How did I know this was coming?

Gary

....BTW, still driving for Bob Sharp?
Old 12-30-2017, 05:37 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Dressing and sauce is on the house. The Budweiser is up to you.\
http://www.newmansown.com/food

Old 12-30-2017, 06:02 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Akunob

Great post, could you please elaborate on what some of these 'DE habits' were that you had to unlearn? Second, would you say that those early habits/techniques taught at DE's were appropriate for the setting (I.e, DE's) but not suitable for racing? Basically I'm asking whether the more advanced, proper 'habits'/techniques you have since learned would be appropriate in a DE setting?

Thanks
EVERYTHING that is correct and proper form in racing is applicable to HPDE driving.
The bad habits taught by PCA HPDE are incorrect braking and turning and power application with nothing taught about vehicle weight management. This was discussed on several recent threads including threads about going to a 2 or 3 day school like Skip Barber offered. The Skip Barber curriculum continues on and most senior instructors have either started their own schools or joined other schools.
They are all listed in recent threads on the first and second page of this sub forum.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
EVERYTHING that is correct and proper form in racing is applicable to HPDE driving.
The bad habits taught by PCA HPDE are incorrect braking and turning and power application with nothing taught about vehicle weight management. This was discussed on several recent threads including threads about going to a 2 or 3 day school like Skip Barber offered. The Skip Barber curriculum continues on and most senior instructors have either started their own schools or joined other schools.
They are all listed in recent threads on the first and second page of this sub forum.
Thanks Brian. It's good to know for those of us who came up through the PCA HPDE 'system', and are now solo drivers. While we may seek out an instructor, here and there, for either a ride-along or to bounce thoughts and ideas on how to best tackle a section of the track, it's almost counter-productive if 'bad habits' are merely being reinforced. Taking advantage of driving schools seems like a good idea. Much appreciated.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:05 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az

....depends on what PCA instructor you have.....
Old 12-31-2017, 08:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
....depends on what PCA instructor you have.....
Quite true.

Brian's bias against PCA is evident in seemingly all of his posts...

Quick Reply: How age affects speed...