How age affects speed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts
Default How age affects speed...

Good examination of the learning process, too.

http://www.beyondseattime.com/how-age-affects-speed/

Thanks to The Optimum Drive author Paul Gerrard for unearthing this article.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:31 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting. Now that I'm an old fart, I've often wondered what kind of lap times I would turn if I could get back in my Formula Ford (or Continental) and turn some clean laps.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:52 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Great article - I’m glad there is hope for us old farts:

All 3 experts I agree: The biggest difference in our performance as we age is because of change in motivation. As we age, we are not always willing to put in the work to improve. This might be because there is no need – the person is already “set” in life; it might be because the effort it takes is more than they are willing to put in. The fact is, if we are not willing to do what it takes to improve, we won’t. This holds true at all levels – whether we are trying to be the absolute best at our chosen motorsport, or just improve our skills from their current level.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:49 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Interesting read, thanks for posting--I was fortunate enough to set PBs at all three of "my" tracks last year despite my "advancing" age Now, this is in no way a pro, semi-pro, quarter-pro, etc. talking in any sense of the word; just someone who's motivated by the sheer passion he finds in this "hobby" (like crack is a hobby)

One big part of that is maintaining and/or advancing (that word again) my fitness regimen to get my weight back down to where I want it come track season; this has been discussed at length in recent threads. THAT becomes harder every year, especially living in the deep-freeze that is Buffalo

Simply need to take fewer liberties around the holidays (yeah, right)

Gary
Old 12-29-2017, 11:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

All 3 experts I agree: The biggest difference in our performance as we age is because of change in motivation. As we age, we are not always willing to put in the work to improve. This might be because there is no need – the person is already “set” in life; it might be because the effort it takes is more than they are willing to put in. The fact is, if we are not willing to do what it takes to improve, we won’t. This holds true at all levels – whether we are trying to be the absolute best at our chosen motorsport, or just improve our skills from their current level.
All the data I have supports this. There IS hope!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Get off my lawn!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Get off my lawn!
Hahahaha!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:38 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

As a 68 year old Q Tip, who started tracking off and on 10 years ago, I can relate to this. As long as I am able to improve my driving Lap times I will continue this hobby. After offshore fishing for 30 years I neede to change and find a less expensive hobby.
Peter
Old 12-29-2017, 12:38 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

that's called enjoying a hobby...

everyone does that in a different way. I race and travel with some high end drivers who own semi transporters and multiple crew members to run their show. They know I'm a bit weird. I like to fix and prep my car. I don't want help to do that. Part of my love of racing is getting my car to finish the races because of my own well done reliable prep.

my dad is just over 85. He is still getting better as a competitive pistol marksman a hobby he has had for 40 years! When he goes to matches the young guys are happy to see him there. It gives them hope for their own longevity in their sport.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Great article.

Neuroplasticity is an interesting field and while not lots has been done in motorsports with it, there is lots of research in other areas that can relate to motorsports. I was a little surprised that they don't mention the physical performance dropoff vs. skills/knowledge. I've found this to be very important in overall performance across a number of fields that are similar to motorsports. Spencer Pumpelly talks about this in his Diner with Racers.

And in the end, I completely agree it really comes down to motivation!
Old 12-29-2017, 03:27 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, how old is old. I fall into the 2nd driver category myself. (almost on the head)

One thing that they did not really talk about is positive an negative reinforcement. (Skinner box)
A driver who has been driving for a longer time has more negative experience to draw upon to tell them; no, not that part of the track, you remember what happened that one time you ended up over there. Even if that is where you need to put the car.

The other issue for older drivers, especially if that driver has been successful is that if you have done great with what you have been doing you are less likely to experiment with new or varying lines or techniques. Even though with car and tire technology what worked 5 years ago may not be the fastest today.

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-29-2017, 03:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911racer
So, how old is old. I fall into the 2nd driver category myself. (almost on the head)

One thing that they did not really talk about is positive an negative reinforcement. (Skinner box)
A driver who has been driving for a longer time has more negative experience to draw upon to tell them; no, not that part of the track, you remember what happened that one time you ended up over there. Even if that is where you need to put the car.

The other issue for older drivers, especially if that driver has been successful is that if you have done great with what you have been doing you are less likely to experiment with new or varying lines or techniques. Even though with car and tire technology what worked 5 years ago may not be the fastest today.

Thanks

Ed
And I think THAT'S the idea... That our minds are more of a barrier to improvement (or exceptional performance) than our bodies are, especially if we take care of our bodies...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-29-2017, 03:54 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me it always was.

When I started I was doing PCA DE events. The habits they taught me in DE, which they told me were the fastest way around the track, were the hardest to break.

I wish they had just been honest and say, this is not the fastest, but it is the fastest we are going to teach you.

Thanks

Ed
Old 12-29-2017, 03:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911racer
For me it always was.

When I started I was doing PCA DE events. The habits they taught me in DE, which they told me were the fastest way around the track, were the hardest to break.

I wish they had just been honest and say, this is not the fastest, but it is the fastest we are going to teach you.

Thanks

Ed
EXCELLENT post! And it wasn't intentional, for most that "told you." It's just that they didn't know...
Old 12-29-2017, 04:17 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

All I know is - the older I get, the faster cars seem to be from the passenger seat!

Quick Reply: How age affects speed...