Sim setup help

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 08:46 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Tactile feedback is good! Buttkickers work, IMO
Do you prefer those or the Clark Synthesis?

http://www.ricmotech.com/Clark_Synth...ers_s/1836.htm
Old 12-27-2017, 09:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,891 Posts

No experience with Ricmotech or the Clark line of tactile transducers. I have not had tactile feedback on my own (several) static sims, but I did buy a single Buttkicker for my VisionRacer VR3 at home after running over curbs in another friends sim with a Buttkicker on it. I think if you have a LF output and it's supported (which it would be if Ricmotech is selling it), then it would be at least as good.

To me, good brake pedal feel is far more important than differences in rendering LF tactile feedback. Just my .02
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-27-2017, 10:32 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I run the IRacing Pro package and found these guys great to deal with. The brake pressure feel was the most important element for me. If you're in the NYC Tri-state area stop by and try it out before you buy. PM me with any questions but keep in mind that I'm really no expert on these systems.
Thanks, I am in NYC tri state.
I will be in touch after the holidays. Away with family until the 3rd.
Great info everyone. Thanks a ton.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:56 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I haven't seen sim-seats.com before but they seem to be priced VERY strongly.

I spent some time looking into building rigs for sale last year and ran into some other financial constraints (adopting my stepson, being contested by deadbeat bio-dad so it's $$$$$) BUT those $9-10k prices are at or just under my *cost* for some configurations! Not to mention leaving out anything related to after-sales support (which can be a HUGE time-suck!)

To the original post - $2k is a great budget for wheel/pedal combo, gets you OUT of the "toy" category. I've got Heusinkvelds (already mentioned here) and they're *excellent*. Pedals are WAY more important than wheel (tho a good wheel goes a long way too) so rolling with a set of their pedals, then spending "what's left" on a wheel is IMO a good way to go, considering you'll still have plenty left for a good wheel.

If you're in the NYC area - you should head up to Crimson Simulation. They're in Norwalk, CT. Lots of varying degrees of equipment for you to try, and Naid is a fantastic resource. Tell him "Jim from Chicago" sent you.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:57 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

A few of us from RL here (and a FB group) meet up Wednesday nights in the winter for a GT3 Cup league on iRacing.... get your setup then join us!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I haven't seen sim-seats.com before but they seem to be priced VERY strongly.

I spent some time looking into building rigs for sale last year and ran into some other financial constraints (adopting my stepson, being contested by deadbeat bio-dad so it's $$$$$) BUT those $9-10k prices are at or just under my *cost* for some configurations! Not to mention leaving out anything related to after-sales support (which can be a HUGE time-suck!)

To the original post - $2k is a great budget for wheel/pedal combo, gets you OUT of the "toy" category. I've got Heusinkvelds (already mentioned here) and they're *excellent*. Pedals are WAY more important than wheel (tho a good wheel goes a long way too) so rolling with a set of their pedals, then spending "what's left" on a wheel is IMO a good way to go, considering you'll still have plenty left for a good wheel.
They are. Been in the game for a long time (comparatively) and they're doing well, so they're doing something right. I've had several clients buy their rigs (in the $4K-$7K range) so we can do remote lead/follow and detailed track walks and everyone has been happy.

With other vendors, even well-known ones, not so much. Mark Lutes in Atlanta is another sim builder I'd recommend, but a lot of the others (with flashy websites) have good "kit lists" of components, but support is poor, non-existent or worse yet, starts out well and then disappears...

In bold is why I quit building and selling. To develop a software management and hardware package that keeps it's "tune" is a pain, especially with the higher end components. I had fun and learned a lot. Not a lot of other people were doing it ten years ago, but there's plenty out now.

Agree with your comments on pedal/wheel combo. And people can always start with a Fanatec V2 or V3 pedal set/Perfect Pedal hydraulic load cell for their Logitech pedals and get a good brake pedal feel, no matter what wheel they use, in the beginning. Then move up.

It's sort of like car mods... Can get out of control REALLY fast!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Paul, I can tell you that there are SO many variables that make up a good motion sim.

The speed and power of the actuators, the center of axis of rotations, the inertia of the frame and seat, and the software most of all.

IF I ever go to motion (which I am not compelled to do, based on testing personally motion sims priced from $12K to $650K), it’ll probably be one using D-Box actuators.

Everything I’ve tried is like a fairground ride or an arcade. Just a complete and total distraction.
It CANNOT be a distraction, that’s my most important consideration when contemplating motion...
Ditto I have yet to try a motion system that felt natural. From D-box setups, to motion seats (CXC and SimXperience) to full on platforms (Force Dynamics).... I never lost that "fairground ride" feeling. I paired up a "properly configured" SimXperience setup ($$$$) owned by a fairly well credentialed driver buddy of mine (currently running TransAm) with VR and was motion sick inside of 5 minutes. The "barely perceptible" lag was exacerbated 100x once in VR because things were NOT "lining up".

I do like the idea of the bass shakers, and that'll likely be my next mod.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ditto I have yet to try a motion system that felt natural. From D-box setups, to motion seats (CXC and SimXperience) to full on platforms (Force Dynamics).... I never lost that "fairground ride" feeling. I paired up a "properly configured" SimXperience setup ($$$$) owned by a fairly well credentialed driver buddy of mine (currently running TransAm) with VR and was motion sick inside of 5 minutes. The "barely perceptible" lag was exacerbated 100x once in VR because things were NOT "lining up".

I do like the idea of the bass shakers, and that'll likely be my next mod.
Boris Said and I both got sick FAST on this pair of $650K Cruden's across the street from my facility at VIR a few years ago. Not cool. And I don't have ANY problem in VR, triple-screens or any static sim at all.

The bass shakers, plus pedal feedback and a good steering FFB calibration work very, very well. Sound gets important too, especially racing with a bunch of cars close around you.

Quick Reply: Sim setup help