Sponsored by:

Sim setup help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 12:36 PM
cienegavista
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sim setup help

ok, complete overload on the various wheels/pedals that are available. Looking for a good wheel/pedal combo with regular 4-6 speed shifter that I will use with a single screen ( for now). Budget of around $1500 to $2000 for wheel/pedal unit.
Thanks for any feedback/info
Old 12-26-2017, 12:40 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 120 Posts

Logitech has a good starter package I think
Old 12-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cienegavista
ok, complete overload on the various wheels/pedals that are available. Looking for a good wheel/pedal combo with regular 4-6 speed shifter that I will use with a single screen ( for now). Budget of around $1500 to $2000 for wheel/pedal unit.
Thanks for any feedback/info
Heusinkveld makes a great set of pedals and sequential shifter (skip the handbrake option)
https://heusinkveld.com/products/hid...v=04c19fa1e772 -- €980.20 ($1163.27 US)

Fanatec Club Sport Base - $499.95
and

CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 - $169.95
https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/module/configurator&mproduct_id=978

Total $1833.37 plus whatever extra fees are tossed in..
Old 12-26-2017, 01:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Heusinkveld makes a great set of pedals and sequential shifter (skip the handbrake option)
https://heusinkveld.com/products/hid...v=04c19fa1e772 -- €980.20 ($1163.27 US)

Fanatec Club Sport Base - $499.95
and

CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 - $169.95
https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/module...product_id=978

Total $1833.37 plus whatever extra fees are tossed in..
Agreed. Will just add that you will need a good seat and seat-pedal frame, in order to get full pressure on the brakes, just like in real life.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:07 PM
cienegavista
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default sim set up

thanks guys, this helps a lot
mc
Old 12-26-2017, 10:41 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,225 Posts

A bit off this topic, what would someone like me be looking for from a never ever standpoint?

I have nothing except my real on track experience, but these Sims are very interesting to me and I love reading through the I racing threads.

What does a total beginer to I Racing need to start with?

Are there fully built and ready to drive systems out there?

Thanks, and sorry for the Hijack. I can start a new thread if that's the right thing to do.

Any advice to get me started in sim track driving and maybe racing down the road?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
A bit off this topic, what would someone like me be looking for from a never ever standpoint?

I have nothing except my real on track experience, but these Sims are very interesting to me and I love reading through the I racing threads.

What does a total beginer to I Racing need to start with?

Are there fully built and ready to drive systems out there?

Thanks, and sorry for the Hijack. I can start a new thread if that's the right thing to do.

Any advice to get me started in sim track driving and maybe racing down the road?

Thanks
http://shop.sim-seats.com/iRacing-packages_c18.htm
Old 12-27-2017, 10:14 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Thanks Frank. These look awesome. I have some research to do.

I will check these all out and I'm sure I'm going to have some questions before I make a purchase.

Do you mind if I pm you when I have questions as to what I should buy? (or maybe email or call you?)

You can respond by pm if easier.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2017, 11:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
This is the least expensive, tailor-made, basic standard solution made. I’ve watched these guys grow over the last few years and while there are other, flashier and way more expensive, static systems available, this hardware, combined with their support, is huge. I’ve seen Cup drivers make huge gains using this tool. Never heard any negative feedback about them. Like I said, there is plenty of fancier stuff out there, but you can’t build your own for what Sim Seats charges.

I built more than three dozen good, static sims over the last fifteen years and stopped after it became clear I could build them but not easily support them remotely. Also, as good equipment and computers got more reasonable, I couldn’t build for a reasonable profit. It’s defInitely worthwhile...
Old 12-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

This is the least expensive, tailor-made, basic standard solution made. I’ve watched these guys grow over the last few years and while there are other, flashier and way more expensive, static systems available, this hardware, combined with their support, is huge. I’ve seen Cup drivers make huge gains using this tool. Never heard any negative feedback about them. Like I said, there is plenty of fancier stuff out there, but you can’t build your own for what Sim Seats charges.

I built more than three dozen good, static sims over the last fifteen years and stopped after it became clear I could build them but not easily support them remotely. Also, as good equipment and computers got more reasonable, I couldn’t build for a reasonable profit. It’s defInitely worthwhile...
Everything has come down dramatically. If you wanted to keep budget down you can do what I did:
A good I-7 with GTX 1080 video card can be had for $1000
Thrustmaster TS-PC wheel $499
Fanatec pedals (I chose inverted and more importantly adjustable) $499
Added sliders and used the passenger seat out of the car
GT Omega base for $400
Only other major decision is VR or triple screen.
Heck, even the Prosim 3DOF which is really all you need from a motion perspective is 2,999 euros... That is what I am debating now LOL...

So you can build your own 3DOF full motion setup for under 6k easily or static for ~ 3k...

I am just waiting for direct drive wheels to mainstream and price to drop in 2018 before I upgrade.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:43 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Thanks Frank. These look awesome. I have some research to do.

I will check these all out and I'm sure I'm going to have some questions before I make a purchase.

Do you mind if I pm you when I have questions as to what I should buy? (or maybe email or call you?)

You can respond by pm if easier.

Thanks
I run the IRacing Pro package and found these guys great to deal with. The brake pressure feel was the most important element for me. If you're in the NYC Tri-state area stop by and try it out before you buy. PM me with any questions but keep in mind that I'm really no expert on these systems.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Paul, I can tell you that there are SO many variables that make up a good motion sim.

The speed and power of the actuators, the center of axis of rotations, the inertia of the frame and seat, and the software most of all.

IF I ever go to motion (which I am not compelled to do, based on testing personally motion sims priced from $12K to $650K), it’ll probably be one using D-Box actuators.

Everything I’ve tried is like a fairground ride or an arcade. Just a complete and total distraction.
It CANNOT be a distraction, that’s my most important consideration when contemplating motion...
Old 12-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Paul, I can tell you that there are SO many variables that make up a good motion sim.

The speed and power of the actuators, the center of axis of rotations, the inertia of the frame and seat, and the software most of all.

IF I ever go to motion (which I am not compelled to do, based on testing personally motion sims priced from $12K to $650K), it’ll probably be one using D-Box actuators.

Everything I’ve tried is like a fairground ride or an arcade. Just a complete and total distraction.
It CANNOT be a distraction, that’s my most important consideration when contemplating motion...
I would be sure to speak to you before i ever did anything! Every bit of research I have read says D-Box is indeed the way to go. The best motion simulators I have ever been in (Real world level D 757 simulator) are actually just enough motion to fool the brain into forgetting it's not real... For me that is the mark of true motion. You don't even know it is there because it does such a good job fooling the mind into believing what you are seeing and feeling is real. I also walked out dripping sweat after 60 minutes, it felt that real... Now if I only had the $20M to spend like the Saudi Prince who had a real life 707 simulator in the same facility for his own private crew to train on!!!
Old 12-27-2017, 07:52 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about things like a butt kicker and other shaker type devices?
Old 12-27-2017, 08:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Tactile feedback is good! Buttkickers work, IMO
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Sim setup help