Sponsored by:

Am I normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 03:12 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I can't ride in the right seat on the highway with my wife driving, but me behind the wheel on the track, no issues whatsoever.

Makes me appreciate every instructor I've ever had even that much more. They are the best.

You'll be fine in the drivers seat. Do not let your right seat experience deter you. That would be a big mistake.
+1
i have no issues racing, but got car sick in the right seat at a pca rally at legal speeds recently
was embarassing
Old 12-23-2017, 06:24 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Great to hear all this feedback and reassures me that my driving experience won't match my riding one. I'm no spring chicken and I've waited too long to get on the track, so I'm determined to start now. I was so excited at the Vegas track - and two laps later I was really demoralized. Thanks again for the insights!

BTW - the last time I was on the track was at an Audi event - had no problems ripping around in an R8 or autocrossing an RS5, but when my wife drove a few laps and I was the passenger, I begged to get out of the car after just a lap or two. Maybe I ought to preemptively slap on that patch - I know the pre-drive ridealong is very valuable and I don't want to feel sick before I ever even start.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I am fortunate in that I don't suffer from motion sickness. I've been a passenger many times with instructors and coaches at the wheel and have never had a problem. Of course, I am probably jinxing myself by saying that. I've had a couple pro coaches pushing the limits of the car so hard that I got scared a couple times as a passenger, but never sick. Having said all that, I feel for those of you who do get motion sick and I appreciate what you instructors and coaches go through in the passenger seat.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Fumes
I feel your pain and had the same fears whn i got into the sport.

I have had awful issues with motion sickness. I only lasted three laps with Pobst driving at sebring and went full green/grey almost lost it in my helmet.. Instructing this year in a z06 was a challenge. slower drivers/cars i am fine.

if you use scopolamine patch you will be fine in right seat. worked wonders for me.

you will be 100% fine driving, but wear the patch for the weekend and enjoy the ride-alongs! is an important part of learning esp for kinesthetic learners.
+1 on the Scopolamine patch. I can’t instruct without it.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

If my student's driving was fluid, I never had a problem. If he was herky jerky (is that a good term ProCoach? ) so was my stomach. While driving I NEVER had any issues at all and I can even can get nauseated playing video games...

Last edited by Gary R.; 12-24-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Maybe I ought to preemptively slap on that patch - I know the pre-drive ridealong is very valuable and I don't want to feel sick beforet I ever even start.
you got it man - patch only works pre-emptively - i put mine on the day before. getting quesy on first instructor or friend ride-along of the weekend is the WORST.

one thing to know - DO NOT remove the patch until before bed AFTER you get home. a (rare) side effect of removal is temporary blindness. nothing to worry about but no fun, happened to my big sister and she was pretty freaked out.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

you got it man - patch only works pre-emptively - i put mine on the day before. getting quesy on first instructor or friend ride-along of the weekend is the WORST.

one thing to know - DO NOT remove the patch until before bed AFTER you get home. a (rare) side effect of removal is temporary blindness. nothing to worry about but no fun, happened to my big sister and she was pretty freaked out.
What your describing as "blindness" can happen any time with a scopolamine patch on. Scopolamine dilates the pupils of the eye causing blurry vision and light sensitivity. When people apply/touch/manipulate the patch, the medicine gets on your fingers. Then when you inadvertently touch your eye (like we all do 100x a day), your eye dilates. Thus, ALWAYS wash your hands after touching the patch. Also, the systemic absorption of the medicine accumulates and over time will cause everyone's pupils to dilate to a certain extent.. Frankly, I would never recommend someone wear one of these when they are driving at the track. All this being said, these patches are fantastic for motion sickness prophylaxis.

As a side note, scopolamine patches can cause permanent blindness if you have acute angle glaucoma.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:48 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
...and I can even can get nauseous playing video games...
Strunk & White Style Guide: do not use that word unless you are certain you have that effect on people.

(I think the word you're looking for is nauseated... OT, but I always get a laugh from it, and it's on-topic anyway! Not trying to pick on you...)
Old 12-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Strunk & White Style Guide: do not use that word unless you are certain you have that effect on people.

(I think the word you're looking for is nauseated... OT, but I always get a laugh from it, and it's on-topic anyway! Not trying to pick on you...)
Oh, I absolutely have that effect on people!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 924RACR

You are absolutely right! The funny thing is in medicine we say "are you nauseous" all the time. I say it too!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
What your describing as "blindness" can happen any time with a scopolamine patch on. Scopolamine dilates the pupils of the eye causing blurry vision and light sensitivity. When people apply/touch/manipulate the patch, the medicine gets on your fingers. Then when you inadvertently touch your eye (like we all do 100x a day), your eye dilates. Thus, ALWAYS wash your hands after touching the patch. Also, the systemic absorption of the medicine accumulates and over time will cause everyone's pupils to dilate to a certain extent.. Frankly, I would never recommend someone wear one of these when they are driving at the track. All this being said, these patches are fantastic for motion sickness prophylaxis.

As a side note, scopolamine patches can cause permanent blindness if you have acute angle glaucoma.
Great insight!!! I’ve never experienced the blurry vision or light sensitivity that i could notice, but just read the warning on the box. My sisters experience was freaky but temporary. good note on touching anything - you need to wash hands very thoroughly before and after application

Thanks for the info. Though I would submit its better than being sick! although a dr friend recommended no alcohol, no greasy food, and lots of sleep as good preventative steps to avoid motion sickness, that didnt help me that I could tell....and was considerably less fun. who can say no to happy hour? or VIR fried chicken egg and cheese on a fresh biscuit for breakfast???
Old 12-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Great insight!!! I’ve never experienced the blurry vision or light sensitivity that i could notice, but just read the warning on the box. My sisters experience was freaky but temporary. good note on touching anything - you need to wash hands very thoroughly before and after application

Thanks for the info. Though I would submit its better than being sick! although a dr friend recommended no alcohol, no greasy food, and lots of sleep as good preventative steps to avoid motion sickness, that didnt help me that I could tell....and was considerably less fun. who can say no to happy hour? or VIR fried chicken egg and cheese on a fresh biscuit for breakfast???
No alcohol or greasy food at the track? Let’s not get carried away here.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:08 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

I don't instruct but have been in the right seat of numerous instructor's cars (and they weren't taking it easy as we agree that I would record the laps using Harry's to get data) and have never been car sick or felt nauseous!! Knock on wood...like others have said, I suspect the experience will feel different with you behind the wheel. Try it, hope it works for you.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I'll add one more thing. Nausea can strike just about anyone at any time. I do not get motion sickness in the right or left seat. My wife and I are scuba divers and I was always amazed at how many people would get nauseated in rougher seas. Never happened to me,....until one day. It has never recurred but I don't rule it out. The advantage of scuba is that when motion sickness strikes you just get under water and it passes. In a Porsche you end up ruining someone's interior and your helmet.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:45 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I'll add one more thing. Nausea can strike just about anyone at any time. I do not get motion sickness in the right or left seat. My wife and I are scuba divers and I was always amazed at how many people would get nauseated in rougher seas. Never happened to me,....until one day. It has never recurred but I don't rule it out. The advantage of scuba is that when motion sickness strikes you just get under water and it passes. In a Porsche you end up ruining someone's interior and your helmet.
Dave, any experience with Sea-Bands (wrist bands with bead on inside)? Effective? Placebo? Ca-Ca?

BTW, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Gary

Quick Reply: Am I normal?