Sponsored by:

Am I normal?

Old 12-22-2017, 12:59 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Am I normal?

Quick question that has me concerned about getting into track driving:

Last weekend I took my daughters to Speed Vegas and they had a great time. My older daughter was spent after 5 laps, so I hopped into her AMG GT as a passenger with the instructor and he took me for a full blast ride. I struggled to make it 2 full laps without getting nauseous - no way I could have done more laps at that speed as a passenger. (Yes, I know about the accident there in Feb so no need to bring it up.)

I have done very, very few track laps as a driver before and had no issues, but now I'm worried that I don't have the stomach for it. I'm sure being a passenger makes everything worse as I'm not in control and my body is reacting to all inputs after the fact. My question is - am I just a big baby? I have no idea how instructors can ride along with a bunch of noobies all day long and not get sick, and I'm also worried that I won't be any good as a driver either. I signed up for a driving academy in January as a novice because I really, really want to like it, but maybe I'm just not cut out for it.

Any insights for me?
Old 12-22-2017, 01:06 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't worry about it! Won't happen while holding the wheel
being in the driver's seat and holding the wheel makes the world of difference
i instruct in the right seat, and if tight track with heavy braking, i need a gravol!

Last edited by seanseidman; 12-22-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:19 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Yep, driver's seat is fine, motion sickness keeps me out of the right seat. Don't wish to take meds for it so that's that.

Gary
Old 12-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Same here. I cannot drive in right seat without getting sick. I have about 7 years in left seat without any issues, thankfully.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane

Last weekend I took my daughters to Speed Vegas and they had a great time. My older daughter was spent after 5 laps, so I hopped into her AMG GT as a passenger with the instructor and he took me for a full blast ride. I struggled to make it 2 full laps without getting nauseous - no way I could have done more laps at that speed as a passenger. (Yes, I know about the accident there in Feb so no need to bring it up.)

I have done very, very few track laps as a driver before and had no issues, but now I'm worried that I don't have the stomach for it. I'm sure being a passenger makes everything worse as I'm not in control and my body is reacting to all inputs after the fact. My question is - am I just a big baby? I have no idea how instructors can ride along with a bunch of noobies all day long and not get sick, and I'm also worried that I won't be any good as a driver either. I signed up for a driving academy in January as a novice because I really, really want to like it, but maybe I'm just not cut out for it.

Any insights for me?
You'll be fine.

When you are initiating (and expecting) the forces acting upon you, as you do when you're driving, there won't be a problem with your inner ear trying to reconcile what you feel, with what you see...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Most dont do as well right seat but when drivin have no issues

First few times at the track you will be worn out....mentally and physically (not so much physically with the newer cars power steering ABS etc)

This is something to be mindful of.....older cars let you know your tires as they take more energy to do everything.......newer cars your arms may be fresh but your mind is spent....there is alot to absorb and pay attention to.......letting go of the ego and saying on an spent and sitting out is the hardest thing to do.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:53 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Any insights for me?
Keeping your eyes up while a passenger should help. I generally don't have problems riding right seat - the one time I did get motion sick was a ride where I tried to pay attention to the driver and his inputs closely. A 1/2 lap later and I felt my lunch wanting to come back up - made the session but had to very intently keep my eyes up.

I didn't always do well in the right seat with strangers. Turned out I was trusting the driver, "well, he knows what he's doing". That may work for taking a spin with a well known hot shoe, but not for instructing. Turns out my problem was not feeling the car sufficiently. With that problem solved I got to instruct and it improved my driving. For me, this feel, and a listening student are how I can ride with a noob all day long. I am generally a horrible passenger, say when going out for lunch with office mates and the driver isn't paying 100% attention. For me to be shouting "GAS! GAS! GAS!" from the right seat on a race track I have to be very comfortable with how the noobie is accepting instruction and feedback from the car on how she feels about the noobs input.

If you feel good while driving, go for it.

-Mike
Old 12-22-2017, 06:21 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

I have seen seasoned instructors get nauseous in the right seat. I think it is much worse as a passenger because your brain doesn't have the benefit of knowing exactly when the brakes will be applied and when steering inputs will be initiated. Also, as a passenger while you are looking where the car should go, it may not be going there.

It is of course possible that you will get queasy as a driver as well. There is only one way to find out so go do it!
Old 12-22-2017, 07:34 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 281 Posts

Thanks all - pretty much what I wanted to hear. I figured being in control will help a lot, but I was seriously starting to question the strength of my stomach. I was out of sorts for a few hours after blazing around as a passenger. This is probably the same reason I hate roller coasters.

Happy holidays to all!
Old 12-23-2017, 08:25 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Thanks all - pretty much what I wanted to hear. I figured being in control will help a lot, but I was seriously starting to question the strength of my stomach. I was out of sorts for a few hours after blazing around as a passenger. This is probably the same reason I hate roller coasters.

Happy holidays to all!
I would imagine there is a strong correlation between people who love roller coasters and people who don't have any of these issues riding right seat. And vice versa.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:36 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I ride in the right seat, like that, for my job (not instructing). But I hate roller coasters. Then again, I don't get paid to ride coasters... LOL

I'd say those of us who can right right seat without issues are abnormal! Most of my drivers can't do it, for one... and even I have my moments. I've definitely come to associate the smell of carbon brakes with mild nausea...

You sound pretty normal to me.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,397 Likes on 746 Posts

I hate roller coasters too, and have no right seat issues
Old 12-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I feel your pain and had the same fears whn i got into the sport.

I have had awful issues with motion sickness. I only lasted three laps with Pobst driving at sebring and went full green/grey almost lost it in my helmet.. Instructing this year in a z06 was a challenge. slower drivers/cars i am fine.

if you use scopolamine patch you will be fine in right seat. worked wonders for me.

you will be 100% fine driving, but wear the patch for the weekend and enjoy the ride-alongs! is an important part of learning esp for kinesthetic learners.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:23 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,228 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Since you were in Vegas perhaps heat had something to do with it? The only time I ever got sick in the right seat was after having a really heavy lunch at the track, in August, on a brutally hot day, and immediately went out after lunch in an old 944, where I was being thrown around.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:06 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

I can't ride in the right seat on the highway with my wife driving, but me behind the wheel on the track, no issues whatsoever.

Makes me appreciate every instructor I've ever had even that much more. They are the best.

You'll be fine in the drivers seat. Do not let your right seat experience deter you. That would be a big mistake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I normal?