Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to deal with new NASA TT and ST AVG HP rules

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 03:00 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

My last point stands. This isn't Spec racing. There are always going to be cars that are better to have for every class.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Kevin - can you post your dyno curve. If shape is same as mine then I agree it's unfair but doubt that rule will change this year. If the SC with proper tune can keep your power flat in low to mid range then I think you will still be competitive.

I tried to upgrade cams at beginning of year which gave me more peak power but did nothing to increase mid range power. I had to add 145 pounds to offset the peak power increase even with avg hp calcs. Since I still spend majority of time between 5 and 7 k there was no real benefit from peak increase and a clear drop due to weight.

I went back to stock cams and my old weight and like that setup better.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
The 250 rpm calculations aren't fair to me either. It gives me "more power" compared to the old 500rpm calculations. It's not unfair, all of us have to deal with it. There are always going to be some cars that are more favorable than others, this isn't Spec Racing.
ok so i get it.. there is a narrower frequency for the 4 or so HP measurment points, so it artifically raises your average vs having the peaky HP and wider averaging data points. is that the problem?

There are two reasons that this might be more fair:

1. generally, most high hp , high reving cars have closer gear ratios to lessen the disadvantage of the narrow HP band. if you dont have 70% of your RPM after a redline shift and have more like 77 to 85% of your redline RPM, you are close ratio.
2. most higher reving engines are mated to lighter cars, because the engines themselves are lighter. this means they have a natural "absolute" weight advantage which effects braking and cornering.

Let me know what i might be missing.

keep in mind that everyone's hp value for the class will go up, unless you have a flat HP curve, like a cayman GT4 , in which case it probably didnt get effected by narrower RPM measurements. did this narrowing of the data point band go up for only turbocars?? if so, that might be a little unfair for them compared to a equal shape NA engine at the same power.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:13 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my dyno.

Name:  Pkhjs7H.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  522.5 KB
Old 12-14-2017, 05:38 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
ok so i get it.. there is a narrower frequency for the 4 or so HP measurment points, so it artifically raises your average vs having the peaky HP and wider averaging data points. is that the problem?

There are two reasons that this might be more fair:

1. generally, most high hp , high reving cars have closer gear ratios to lessen the disadvantage of the narrow HP band. if you dont have 70% of your RPM after a redline shift and have more like 77 to 85% of your redline RPM, you are close ratio.
2. most higher reving engines are mated to lighter cars, because the engines themselves are lighter. this means they have a natural "absolute" weight advantage which effects braking and cornering.

Let me know what i might be missing.

keep in mind that everyone's hp value for the class will go up, unless you have a flat HP curve, like a cayman GT4 , in which case it probably didnt get effected by narrower RPM measurements. did this narrowing of the data point band go up for only turbocars?? if so, that might be a little unfair for them compared to a equal shape NA engine at the same power.
it was more addition by subtraction. Everyone got a bit of a penalty because they narrowed the data selection ranges from every 500 rpm to every 250 rpm. They then pretty much nullified everyone but turbo cars penalty by giving all the other cars 6 or 8 rpm data points instead of the old standard 4. For example my turbo car was at 538 whp with the old method. Now it' at 550. If it were at the new method but 8 rpm points it would Have actually reduced to 536 and at 6 rpm points would have only slightly bumped to 542. There is no need for this in ST1-3 as once you get to bigger turbos and V8's any power curve advantage is offset by throttle reponse and some. It doesn' make any sense but is what I've come to expect from NASA. Advantage corvettes.

Originally Posted by docwyte
My last point stands. This isn't Spec racing. There are always going to be cars that are better to have for every class.
nevermind dude.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:31 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
Here is my dyno.

That does seem unfair. Is there any tuning you can do to raise hp in the mid range
Old 12-14-2017, 06:56 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
That does seem unfair. Is there any tuning you can do to raise hp in the mid range
Nope, I'm already maxed out on midrange AFAIK. Besides that any custom tuning requires taking the car to BOE in St. Louis or getting a standalone ECU
Old 12-14-2017, 08:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
it was more addition by subtraction. Everyone got a bit of a penalty because they narrowed the data selection ranges from every 500 rpm to every 250 rpm. They then pretty much nullified everyone but turbo cars penalty by giving all the other cars 6 or 8 rpm data points instead of the old standard 4. For example my turbo car was at 538 whp with the old method. Now it' at 550. If it were at the new method but 8 rpm points it would Have actually reduced to 536 and at 6 rpm points would have only slightly bumped to 542. There is no need for this in ST1-3 as once you get to bigger turbos and V8's any power curve advantage is offset by throttle reponse and some. It doesn' make any sense but is what I've come to expect from NASA. Advantage corvettes.

e.
what are your RPM drops (% of redline) , Generally?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Kevin - can you post your dyno curve. If shape is same as mine then I agree it's unfair but doubt that rule will change this year. If the SC with proper tune can keep your power flat in low to mid range then I think you will still be competitive.

I tried to upgrade cams at beginning of year which gave me more peak power but did nothing to increase mid range power. I had to add 145 pounds to offset the peak power increase even with avg hp calcs. Since I still spend majority of time between 5 and 7 k there was no real benefit from peak increase and a clear drop due to weight.

I went back to stock cams and my old weight and like that setup better.
Good call on that one. ;-)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by mark kibort
what are your RPM drops (% of redline) , Generally?
what do you mean by drops?
Old 12-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

I am assuming this refers to upshifts
Old 12-14-2017, 09:49 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Texas RS
Good call on that one. ;-)
Thanks for looking at the data with me.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:50 PM
wanna911
Race Car

74% 3rd to 4th and 77% 4th to 5th. Dont use 2nd or 6th on any track.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:07 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

74% 3rd to 4th and 77% 4th to 5th. Dont use 2nd or 6th on any track.
So why not remove them to save weight.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:25 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for looking at the data with me.
glad to be of assistance...

Quick Reply: How to deal with new NASA TT and ST AVG HP rules