Sponsored by:

Driver training options

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 12:53 PM
RazzleDazzle
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
There's an excellent private coach database set up by Ryan Dalziel at www.racecarcoaches.com
Thank you Peter. Appreciate the plug for www.racecarcoaches.com
Old 12-19-2017, 12:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by RazzleDazzle
Ryan, it's a long time coming...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice website, easy to search and navigste
guess I may to sign up.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:49 PM
RazzleDazzle
Instructor

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Very nice website, easy to search and navigste
guess I may to sign up.
Thank you, we know its not perfect but we are continuing to refine. Goal was to make it very user friendly, so I think we achieved that. Please let me know if you need any help signing up as a client or coach. Appreciate the support. #RaceCarCoaches
Old 12-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Old 12-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillNye
I've looked into the Lucas school, it was held last year locally. It is a tempting option because the Formula cars are just dammed neat, and the video/data seem like a nice takeaway. I find it so entertaining that the cars all run plain jane all season tires. I'm sure they're more than adequate for the purpose,
Not just adequate but chosen for their characteristics, they have a larger slip angle than slicks whichs aids in learning car control skills. The Formula cars that they run are designed to exxagerate the effects of weight transfer. Get it right and they stick like glue, get it wrong and the car won't punish you like a race car on slicks, but allows you to recover and learn to manipulate the weight and grip. You learn more, you learn better, and you learn faster in cars that are designed/modified for teaching.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:15 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 404 Posts

First, thank you to the OP for initiating this thread and topic, which is great.

Second, thank you to the coaches and wannabe coaches who offer and generously share their knowledge and wisdom with so many of us.

Next, Ryan and www.racercoaches.com....
After listening to your podcast with Ross B, I visited your website in eager anticipation. Unfortunately, there were almost no coaches registered in CT, NJ, and NY, the area around where I live that includes such great tracks as WGI, LRP, and NJMP, among others. I thought about it some and believe I understand the issue.

You are passionate about driving and coaching and I am passionate about building businesses and helping them grow. Here's my two cents:

I recommend that you modify your business model and forget about charging anyone--coaches or drivers--for as long as you can stomach the cash burn. This will remove any silly obstacles--"I don't want to pay for THAT"--and help you build a user base of coaches and drivers who come to value and appreciate its utility.

Alternatively, switch to an advertising-supported business model, perhaps starting with a very small number (i.e. one, two, or three, tops) of anchor sponsors.

You are building a networked marketplace and the value of any network increases exponentially as the number of users grows. Your goal now should be on rapidly building as many users as possible, not on whatever nominal income you may receive from those early adopters willing to pay now.

Think of the biggest social network we know--Facebook--which would simply not exist had it tried to charge anyone for anything. Now it's one of the largest advertising/media platforms in the world.

Facebook you don't need to be; viable and sustainable is what you need. A large or larger user base will help you get there and soar.

Good luck and never abandon your focus.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU

After listening to your podcast with Ross B, I visited your website in eager anticipation. Unfortunately, there were almost no coaches registered in CT, NJ, and NY, the area around where I live that includes such great tracks as WGI, LRP, and NJMP, among others. I thought about it some and believe I understand the issue.

I recommend that you modify your business model and forget about charging anyone--coaches or drivers--for as long as you can stomach the cash burn. This will remove any silly obstacles--"I don't want to pay for THAT"--and help you build a user base of coaches and drivers who come to value and appreciate its utility.

Interesting.

There are several very, very good professional coaches in the CT, NJ, NY area.

May I suggest Sam Schultz, Aaron Povoledo, Peter Argetsinger, Lee Carpentier, Stevan MacAleer, Corey Lewis, Lee Carpentier, Andrew Wikstrom, Simon Kirkby, Jonathan Goring, Phil Lombardi, Dean DiGiacomo, in no particular order. And I can go on...

IIRC, Ryan's site does not charge drivers seeking coaches.

I'm not him, but the charge for a year, to be listed as a pro on his site, AFTER he's verified and vetted ALL of the people who desire to be listed, is not much more than a very good bottle of wine, so not sure that is an impediment to the very best, successful, tried and proven professionals. But, I might be wrong... I know my business, I don't pretend to know others.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:10 PM
RazzleDazzle
Instructor

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
First, thank you to the OP for initiating this thread and topic, which is great.

Second, thank you to the coaches and wannabe coaches who offer and generously share their knowledge and wisdom with so many of us.

You are passionate about driving and coaching and I am passionate about building businesses and helping them grow. Here's my two cents:

Alternatively, switch to an advertising-supported business model, perhaps starting with a very small number (i.e. one, two, or three, tops) of anchor sponsors.

You are building a networked marketplace and the value of any network increases exponentially as the number of users grows. Your goal now should be on rapidly building as many users as possible, not on whatever nominal income you may receive from those early adopters willing to pay now.

Think of the biggest social network we know--Facebook--which would simply not exist had it tried to charge anyone for anything. Now it's one of the largest advertising/media platforms in the world.

Facebook you don't need to be; viable and sustainable is what you need. A large or larger user base will help you get there and soar.

Thank you for the feedback for www.racecarcoaches.com, I am very much open to the good and bad.

The site does not charge the client driver who is looking to hire a coach. For them/you its 100% free, we don't even take your personal details. The coaches do pay a minimal fee, not to discuss $$$ so much but coaches day rates can vary (on experience) from $500-$2000 per day (plus expenses) so the membership really is a no brainer, hence the fact we have 62 coaches nationwide in 11 weeks of business.
I completely understand your concerns regarding CT, NJ and NY coaches. As you know this is not a great time of year from track days up north, however many coaches in those states have already showed interest for when the weather and tracks open up again, so know we are working on filling these gaps. This is not my primary source of income, nor do I expect it to be any time soon. I've solely invested in this project and I feel really good with what we have created so far. I know the site isn't perfect and I truly appreciate feedback like yours. My plan is to make it pretty damn close to perfect in the near future.

The site was created for two reasons.
- Firstly to connect local coaches with local drivers at local race tracks, to avoid the additional costs to clients of paying for coaches travel expenses.
- Secondly, I wanted a one stop shop for the whole nation to find the best coaches. Too many "coaches" claim to be more than they are in this industry and it paints a bad picture sometimes for the good ones out there. You can connect with any coach on the site, so no need to restrict your search to your neighboring states, we are used to coming to the clients.

Hopefully this clears some items up, and again appreciate your feedback and will be discussed within RCC.

Interesting.

May I suggest Sam Schultz, Aaron Povoledo, Peter Argetsinger, Lee Carpentier, Stevan MacAleer, Corey Lewis, Lee Carpentier, Andrew Wikstrom, Simon Kirkby, Jonathan Goring, Phil Lombardi, Dean DiGiacomo, in no particular order. And I can go on...

I'm not him, but the charge for a year, to be listed as a pro on his site, AFTER he's verified and vetted ALL of the people who desire to be listed, is not much more than a very good bottle of wine, so not sure that is an impediment to the very best, successful, tried and proven professionals. But, I might be wrong... I know my business, I don't pretend to know others.
Thanks Peter. You are right, not to mention we have one of the absolute best - Mike Zimicki in NJ - https://www.racecarcoaches.com/listi...torsports-com/
And Ryan Hall in CT - https://www.racecarcoaches.com/listi...s-development/

Both great experienced coaches.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:00 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

May I add a suggestion,
for the search rather than coaches in the area, you could set it up for coaches willing to travel to that track/that have experience at chosen tracks .....the. maybe a second column that could show a check mark for travel required.....so the coaches would have to fill out tracks that they have no or little travel cost to ...Just an idea

being new to the coaching business side soni u derstamd the cost being a little deterring but i have to agree the advertising cost is not large, it only takes one client to make it worth while

the industry is definately a word of mouth....that's what got me into the right seat/behind the laptop

sorry to derail the thread more but I think it still is some very useful info for all and the OP
Old 12-21-2017, 12:23 AM
RazzleDazzle
Instructor

Originally Posted by Der ABT
May I add a suggestion,
for the search rather than coaches in the area, you could set it up for coaches willing to travel to that track/that have experience at chosen tracks .....the. maybe a second column that could show a check mark for travel required.....so the coaches would have to fill out tracks that they have no or little travel cost to ...Just an idea

being new to the coaching business side soni u derstamd the cost being a little deterring but i have to agree the advertising cost is not large, it only takes one client to make it worth while

the industry is definately a word of mouth....that's what got me into the right seat/behind the laptop

sorry to derail the thread more but I think it still is some very useful info for all and the OP
Great suggestion, thats actually something we are working on. Adding more search options etc, by zip code within 'x' miles etc. And some more features to narrow down your searches. Thank you.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:13 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I have to disagree with the PCA fanclub (no offense to anyone).
The PCA system starts a student with straight line braking, no trail braking, and very little/few car control drills. So you basically end up learning a few bad habits and those habits are reinforced until you move out of green, out of blue, then into yellow group where they then say that they have been teaching you the wrong way to brake and turn and now you need to unlearn those habits and learn the correct methods.

If you attend a 2 or 3 day racing school, they will teach you all the basics correctly from the beginning. Obviously, you won't master them in 3 days, but most importantly, you will learn them correctly and you won't waste your first year or two driving incorrectly. You also won't have to waste 6 months or more unlearning the wrong habits.
Just for the record, this has not been my experience w the PCA, so most likely it depends on the individual instructor or the region.

NNJR for example has a car control clinic where you can practice braking, slalom, skidpad + an autocross program if you're so inclined. Plenty of opportunity to learn car control in a controlled environment.

But more importantly, I've been trail braking the s out of corners (pardon my language) since my first lap ever on track and no instructor told me to not do that, in green or yellow group. Same is true for throttle steering if that's also in this group of not taught techniques in the lower run groups; definitely had conversations w instructors on how to rotate the car w throttle since day one. Clearly YMMV given region, instructor etc, but this has been my personal experience w my region, so I don't think the above holds for all PCA.

In general, I found the PCA instructors to be very receptive to conversation and goal setting, so whatever new item I'm working on that day, I let them know so that he/she is fully aware, and they provide plenty of guidance whatever that item of the day may be. I've never had a strict approach from an instructor where he/she insisted on a specific line or a specific throttle/brake input or anything like that.

Is it pro-racing school, not by a mile, but bang for buck is tough to beat. As an aspiring student I really feel like the most seat time is the best seat time, as opposed to a third the seat time for 3x the cost.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks Peter. You are right, not to mention Mike Zimicki in NY and Ryan Hall in CT.

Both great experienced coaches.
For sure!

MFZ was doing this at the highest level before my friend and colleague Ross Bentley wrote his first book!

Mike and I matriculated to the same Western Massachusetts college, on the same day, nearly forty years ago.

MFZ, being the smarter of the two of us, gave a hard think to things that afternoon on the steps of the library. He then decided to drive a short distance down the road to Lime Rock and go to work for Skip Barber Racing School THAT day! Great story...

Ryan has huge experience across a broad range of cars.

Also, a big shoutout for Rob Slonaker in the NJ-NY-CT area. Superb coach, mentor and friend.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:11 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Interesting.

All I can say is Lee Carpentier must be excellent if he gets two mentions Peter!
Old 12-21-2017, 08:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
All I can say is Lee Carpentier must be excellent if he gets two mentions Peter!

Quick Reply: Driver training options