AiM Solo II Released

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
Any of you Boot Camp / VMWare guys get RaceStudio 3 to connect to the Solo 2? I have been having trouble getting it to work. I found the setting in Wifi for MacOS virtualization mode but even still doesn't seem to find the device.

Also every time I go to "Reset Wifi CFG" on the Solo 2 it restarts the whole device, is that right?
Boot Camp users have no such insterface issues. This was discovered in years ost during firmware updates on the original solo and other devices. The Mac OS workaround is for IF you have issues connecting using software emulation or virtual machines with Parallels or VMWare. I’m not familiar with the latter method on my Apple hardware.

There are two ways to connect wirelessly. Through the computer Network management apps or Windows, or through the RS3 app. While it may take some time, it does work pretty reliably and I’ve had no issues after updating from .52 to .58 firmware on the S2’s and DL’s. Try both of those and see what happens, but be patient.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:22 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

How do you connect via the network management apps? So far I have only tried RS3 with no luck. I have tried both with Bootcsmp and VirtualBox
Old 06-22-2018, 09:19 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Correct, I assume assume a PC is a Windows computer, but that's probably wrong on my part.

Apple kills a kitten every time someone buys an iOS device. They're dangerous.
I prefer to use Linux whenever possible.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:29 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Update on my Mac situation - I was able to figure out the problem, I hadn’t updated all the Race Studio software. Once I did that I could connect.

Now my only problem is figuring out why solo 2 won’t charge when plugged into canbus. It gets power ok, but as soon as you unplug it says low battery and shuts off.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
Update on my Mac situation - I was able to figure out the problem, I hadn’t updated all the Race Studio software. Once I did that I could connect.

Now my only problem is figuring out why solo 2 won’t charge when plugged into canbus. It gets power ok, but as soon as you unplug it says low battery and shuts off.
Are you only plugged into CAN, or you're also plugged into a separate 12vdc supply? What 12v supply are you using? Perhaps it's a switched source (separate from ignition) and cycling on and off such that the device isn't getting a constant supply to charge.

Originally Posted by Scooby921
I think mine is arriving in raw form. I didn't ask for or pay for any sort of setup. I'm not worried though. This way I get to configure it exactly how I want it instead of how someone else thinks I want it. I just hope it's as intuitive as the data loggers and calibration tools I use at work. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into those and play around with the lights to see what I like best.
Quoting myself here, but a question for Matt R or ProCoach....

Are the DL's really this easy to configure? I was honestly expecting it to be more difficult and now I'm wondering if I've missed something somewhere.

Charge DL (wall outlet adapter)
Run RS3
Turn on DL
Connect to device via wifi
New config, define channels / parameters, configure LED's, design display screens / layouts
Transmit configuration (download to DL)
Reconnect to device (resets after data transfer)
Check tracks loaded on device and add / remove as desired
Transmit track data
Finished...plug into vehicle and use.

I think Harry's Lap Timer app is might be more annoying to configure.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

That's it.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

That’s it!

I’ll add that everyone should check and set their start logging parameters.

If there’s not a good RPM or SPEED signal coming through that it’s looking for (due to a different car connection or protocol than is appropriate or correct for the car), and it’s requirement to start is RPM above a set point AND speed above a set point, it won’t record.

You could set it for RPM above a set point OR GPS speed above a set point and have all bases covered.

I’ve had the units come in configured in OBDII looking for a Vehicle Speed that it may not get from the car and not record, switch to GPS speed and all is well.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:38 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I intend to wire directly to the CAN bus, so I should be getting everything, but I still need to wire it this weekend and test to confirm what channels are live. At the moment I have the 981_GT4 ECU / database selected (for my 981 GTS), but I've seen it suggested elsewhere on this forum that the 991 ECU / database is appropriate for the 981 generation vehicles.

So far my only real complaint is that the available display layouts don't include the layout they used in all the product advertisements and literature. I would like a layout where I can set the current lap across the bottom (large) with the +/- delta smaller in the top right and lap count at top left. Perhaps it'll come with future software / firmware updates.

Like this

Quick Reply: AiM Solo II Released